Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon 2008

BanditKing

Registered
Just got back from the Tail of the Dragon a few days ago. Other than losing a camera, it was a great trip. It was my first time there and I have to say that the roads in Tennessee and North Carolina are fantastic compared to what we have in southern Ontario. It was the closest thing to being on the track I'd ever experienced. The 3700 km round trip on the Busa was well worth it, although next year, I'll be looking for a trailer to take the Busa down with.

The pictures and vid's of the Tail of the Dragon on the 'net do not do it justice. Aside from beautiful, it is of one of the most technically challenging roads that I have ever been on. It's banked hairpins and dips leads to a sense on excitement bordering on carnal. And there is fear. At least I felt fear. But also pure JOY. There were also quite a few skid marks heading off into the roads. Poor guys. Hope they're okay, whoever they are.

I wish I was still back there, and am SO looking forward to going back there next year.

Here's some pic's I thought I'd share:

The Crew:
FaceBook Links Do Not Work

Assaulting the Dragon:

"Dragon Bites" -- Battle Scars
smile.gif

Secondary Mission to the Cherohala Skyway:

Wow! Looks like way toooo much fun!!! I like the battle scars ! Me and a few friends are headed to the East Coast, Nova Scotia, in mid August. Maybe we'll get some twisties?? Maybe something they can do on their Road Kings ?

That's me behind you (yellow Buell) in the 3rd pic. I saw you touch that knee down a couple times and thought "he's pretty good on that thing". Glad you enjoyed the roads we've got here.

Sorry to see the scars on the bike. How much have you lowered it?
no man, I'm PROUD of those battle scars...it means the 'Busa was good and used to the LIMIT!

The front's only been lowered an inch, but I'm heavy at 190 lbs, so the nose dives "a bit" under trail braking. (I've got short legs so raising the back 1" on a stock front was not in the cards for me...but now i AM thinking about it)

I've also got EBC HH pads up front with Galfer stainless steel brake lines. don't know how I'd have done the 'gap without them. ;)

That's me behind you (yellow Buell) in the 3rd pic. I saw you touch that knee down a couple times and thought "he's pretty good on that thing". Glad you enjoyed the roads we've got here.
Hahahaha! What a small world! You're one FAST mo-fo on that Buell
smile.gif

I kept thinking if I had my 636, I'd "may be" give you a run for your money! LOL! As it was, I kept saying to myself: "your on a big, heavy girl, here...DON'T get over yer head!". She was heavy around the corners, but I love my 'Busa, and wouldn't imagine having another bike at the Dragon's Tail.

Sorry to have not made your acquaintance. See you at "the 'Gap" next year?

Well written, you certainly captured the essense of the area!
thumb_up.gif
There is a magical quality about it, that unfortunatly wears off after a few months of leaving the area. The memories are great and I long to go back.You locals have it made,a slice of paradise for hundreds of miles, in any direction!
beerchug.gif

The front's only been lowered an inch, but I'm heavy at 190 lbs, so the nose dives "a bit" under trail braking. (I've got short legs so raising the back 1" on a stock front was not in the cards for me...but now i AM thinking about it)
How's your fork preload settings? I finally got up the incentive to tweak my settings as per Jinkster's thread and pretty much eliminated most of my front end dive under braking. The way my bike was set up, the nose took a deep dive every time I hit the front brakes hard. Now it's much better at remaining level after I cranked in some preload over the default factory settings.

How's your fork preload settings? I finally got up the incentive to tweak my settings as per Jinkster's thread and pretty much eliminated most of my front end dive under braking. The way my bike was set up, the nose took a deep dive every time I hit the front brakes hard. Now it's much better at remaining level after I cranked in some preload over the default factory settings.
I've taken them to Jinkster's settings. I think I further cranked in as much preload as I could. My mechanic (Z1 Cycletech up here in Thornhill) says I need stiffer springs (I'm 190 lbs). The fork cartridges are due for a refurbish (haven't changed the original damper oil out yet -- we're going on 4 years on the orginal fork oil) and so I'm thinking of doing a full suspension work-up/rebuild this winter.

Back