Dealer Service Plan\'s and extended warranties

OB_JokerJ

Registered
Valid point Lyle.

Does anoyone know at what point of applying mods to your bike that you've taken it out of warranty?

J

Original factory warranties or extended service contracts generally can not be voided in their entirety for modifications done to your motorycle. If they can prove that a modification you had done caused the failure to a component, then the coverage of that particular component would be denied but only under those conditions.

Example..you install a full exhaust system and modify your airbox, etc. Your charging system fails or your starter motor dies. Those systems are unrelated and your warranty coverage of those components can't be denied.

Several service departments I've encountered (all brands...Triumph, Honda, Kawasaki, etc) don't realize this and their standard response is "warranty denied" out of ignorance. They don't even understand how to represent the problem to the manufacturer.

If you get no satisfaction through your dealer, take it to the next level and contact the manufacturer.

I just bought the 3 year extended warranty ($350 plus sales tax). Here are a couple of quotes from the contract section titled "WHAT IS NOT COVERED"
"Any vehicle modified or altered with, but not limited to, high performance and/or off road equipment that is not original equipment done before or after the Effective Date of this Contract is not covered, if inspection determines that the needed part is attributable to such equipment."

"Any vehicle used for any form of competitve driving or racing, or any vehicle that is reconstructed from salvage."

So it looks like mods are ok as long as failures of covered parts are not caused by the mods. Sounds like a lot of shop judgement shop is involved. Maybe JC or Michael Lee can shed some light on this.

If I put synthetic oil in my bike at 1500 miles and the engine blows up. The owners manual did warn me.

If the bike needs the extended warranty I don't want the bike. If it doesn't need the warranty why pay $350 for nothing.

Extended warranties are one of the most profitable aspects of a bike sale. Wonder why?

YOU CAN BUY EXTENDED WARRANT AT ANY TIME UP TO THE 12 MONTH AFTER PURCHASE BEFORE FACTORY WARRANTY RUNS OUT SO WAIT TILL 9 MONTHS THEN IF YOU THINK YOU NEED EXT. WARRANTY GO BUY IT. BUT I DONT THINK THEY ARE GOING TO COVER MUCH JUST LIKE CAR WARRANTS DENIED IF BEEN RACING THEY WILL MAKE YOU PROVE IT & HOW LONG YOU WILL BE WITHOUT BIKE
I FIGURER THAT WITHIN 12 MONTHS I WILL KNOW HOW MY WARRANT WILL HOLD UP.

? why would anyone buy something before you can use it? like extended warranty you pay for it up front when you buy your bike, but it dosn't start working untill the 13 month all that money for nothing you could buy some tires which you will need & a new better chain which you will need but wait untill the 10 or 11 month then if you still want extended warranty go buy it but remember if your bike is all souped up the extended warranty will not pay & you might save that money for something else like a new turbo!

The extended warranty cost about $125 a year.Its pretty hard to do a dollars and cents calculation to determine if the extended warranty is worth the money. $125 a year for some peace of mind is worth it to me, maybe not to others.

My dealer offered me a combo "extended warranty (2 extra yrs) and 2/yr maintenance" agreement for $890!! I got a 4 year extended warranty for $490 from warrantydirect.com. This warranty was administered by the exact same company as the dealer's. If you go by the service manual, and ride average miles, the dealer would have little maintenance to do in those 2 years.

Any similar experiences?

Here is your piece of Mind buy the Suzuki Extended warranty it is through GECC.
Best bang for the buck.I do have one.and I am a tech.Find your self a GOODSuzuki tech and don't worry about it.As for a plan that does maintance never heard of any but I would make sure it is in writing and explains every thing that will be done in the maintance(remeber the manual calls for oil filter every other oil change)and oil every 3500miles.what oil filter do they have to use.These are all valid questions.

After putting pipes, clutch mods, sprockets and doing a little dragging do you think those guys will honor a service agreement?

In all honesty, do you think they should ?

My extended warranty from the dealer(@700.00) paid for itself in the first 4 months. It covers all maintainace according to manufacture guidelines for 4 years. With the fuel cut off problem and the risidual problems that went with it till it got fixed, it was in the shop alot the first 4 months. Dont get me wrong, My dealer has been great and I would recomend them to anyone. "Desert Motorsports in north Scottsdale Arizona"

so do you have them change the oil filter every other time?or do you just pay extra and have them put it on.Also In the first four months it is not extended warranty It is factory warranty.I am just asking due to we might what to start selling it if it is anygood.

Lyle,
You bring up the crucial point. If you're confident (and equipped) to do all your own maintenance, don't worry about the extended warranty. I'm unfortunately not in that category.

Back