Dealer Service. Does it really worth it??? Really

Hi there fellow Busa riders!

I've got a 07 model black edition with only 18000 on the clock. I did last service at the dealer 12000 km service and it was a rip off. Only for oil and checks (I dont believe he checked anything) I was charged 180 euros. I mean only for oil+oil filter. At 15-16000 km's I changed oil by myself and it was a piece of cake! Dismantling the right faring only with taping the edges was super easy. I also changed myself spark plugs and torqued them in spec and also found out that it was also a piec of cake.

In this respect, does it worth it spending so much $$$ for oil+filter+checks??? I mean oil+ filter costs about 50 euros, so Why to pay 180 euros? On the other hand, one dealer guy from which a ordered an air filter for the 18000 service told my that changing the oil is not the only thing we do here, we check, lubricate, torque to spec several bolts and nuts, check for damages etc.

So, I mean for someone who is mechanically inclined, sevicing his baby on himself will destroy the bike?

How many of you are the only ones that touch your babies and youve got several thousand miles without troubles?

Honestly..

Cheers! THeo

Alot of people here do their own work, or have, or are learning from this site.
Invest the money you would spend at the dealer and buy quality tools and bike stands.
Learn to do ALL of your own work. None of it is really that difficult if you have a service manual, the right tools, and answers to whatever questions you may have.
All of the answers are posted here somewhere, and many of us have been doing this along time and would be glad to help you out.

Every now and then it helps to have 2 hands on each arm, or a friend hanging out depending on how deep into a job you go. I've known people to put piston rings into a sleeves with their own two hands and no other tools. A bit of a task with the case mounted in the frame.

It is good to know a reputable, knowledgeable, quality mechanic. I have found that if there is something that I have a doubt on, and want to get quality work done through the average Suzuki dealership that they end up doing the exact same thing I was hoping to avoid doing in the first place, so why not just do it yourself...just my experience.

That's sort of a loaded question, it depends highly on if you know what you are doing, if you don't know what you are doing you can do incredible damage.

I myself run a 2002 hayabusa with 62k miles, ive ridden it for the past 18k, Ive done everything from wheel bearings, chains, and tore down the engine to repair the second gear.

Read the service manual, ask questions, and use quality tools, correct torque, etc..

My bike has never been back to the dealer since I purchased it.
It's not rocket science to work on them. A service manual is worth it's weight.

The more you work on your bike the better you will understand it and like it.

Thank you for your answers!

I really enjoy wrenching my bike, It's like a hobby. It is super satisfying for me to service on my own my beauty. The only thing I'm scared of is changing DOT4 fluid from brakes and clutch. Other than that I'm confident enough to wrench here and there. The other day I installed META alarm with factory wire harness, super easy.

Anyway I will certainly need your help in the future!

Every bit of work that's been done on my Busa was done by either myself or my significant other aside from having the Busa lowered and a couple of tire changes. We now even handle the tires though, so yeah, huge proponent of "do it yourself" to avoid any irritated mechanic that didn't care as much about your bike as you do, and we've all heard too many stories over the years.

There's tons of info and help here if you need it! Pretty sure it's all been done by someone here, so just ask :thumbsup:

Ogh Laddy, me would poop me pants if some other bugger dare touches me lady. When I got her she was a virgin, and has only been with one man since, of course we are talking about me Busa. The prettiest lady me have ever ridden. :laugh:

Ogh Laddy, me would poop me pants if some other bugger dare touches me lady. When I got her she was a virgin, and has only been with one man since, of course we are talking about me Busa. The prettiest lady me have ever ridden. :laugh:

Sounds like you might need a moment, or two, alone......... :D

Back