Dammit!! Snapped a bolt!!

swimmer7946

Registered
I was putting the Engine back together late last nite..got down to final torqueing of bolts..did the crankshaft bolts in proper sequence and torque, as well as all the perimiter bolts...I was torquing the bolts near the starter and snapped one..WTF?? ...its the bolt that sits in the middle of two like bolts right near the starter....do I really want to split the case again to go after this bolt...seems suzuki over engineered the case with the 20 or so bolts holding the sucker together.....thoughts?????

Case bolts { Like valve cover bolts on a car 7/16 or smaller ..I always was taught 30 yrs ago, t] to use a 1/4 in drive , because your not aware of the extra torqe put on the bolt due to the extra weight of the rachet and leveage] and use only your thumb and first 2 fingers when torqeing,,not only does it keep you from breaking bolts,but over smashing the gasket causeing leaks,,,Lord knows,,I did quite a few yrs ago,,,, either way,,,with that being said,,,,You can either [ A] smear permatex into the hole,flush with the case, and monitor it,,going from hot to cold when the metal will exspand and contract,,,if no leaks,,,there you go,,watch it everytime you start it up and when you shut it down.
Tear it down and fix it right,,it painstakeing andtime consuming,,but get an easyout and or their is a reverse drill hog device..I forget the name of it,,but you get like 2 different size bits in a kit,,,I thought that even walmart had them,,but I know the part stores do,,it looks simular to a easyout but its tapered and quick to pull the bolt out with reverse threads,,,their nice, and cheap,and they grab the bolt in one step,,,,,,I dont know how prestine your bike is,or what all you did to the motor,,but if its a show bike,then its a no brainer,,plan B,,butI dont think its going to leak,,but youll always know its there,,,try the former first,,,,best wishes,,,,I think we all have done this somehere along the lines,,so we feel your pain,,,,,,

Last edited:
I think Im gonna do it right and replce the bolts...I just dont want the case flexing under load, and have the possibility of the of the output shaft "walking" and creating havoc....all I did was have 2nd gear undercut.....but this was my first time inside the motor...guess I did okay if this was the worst thing that happened...even figured out how to set the crank balancer in ok

I think Im gonna do it right and replce the bolts...I just dont want the case flexing under load, and have the possibility of the of the output shaft "walking" and creating havoc....all I did was have 2nd gear undercut.....but this was my first time inside the motor...guess I did okay if this was the worst thing that happened...even figured out how to set the crank balancer in ok

be sure it shifts thru the gears before you tighten all them bolts down seen it several times..

Back