Damage assement

griff20bballer

Registered
My first post.... Wish it was for better reasons...

In the past when I ran into problems starting my CBR900RR I used to push start it to get it running
and then bring it to where I could have it fixed.

Well last night I left the key on in my 2006 busa and the
battery went dead before I realized it. So thinking about
what I did with the CBR I thought I could get it started by
push starting it and bring it home and then put the
battery on a charger.

Well I have since found out that this was a bad decision
because the fuel injection must be controlled by the
computer that had no power and as a result when it finally
did try to start the computer got some power and the
throttle red-lined and up and over I went.

I have some rasberries on my right side and I am pretty
sore but I will be ok in a few days. However, my bike looks
a mess. My question is, how do I assess what was damaged
and obtain an idea on what this is going to cost me. Since
this is all my fault, I want to decide whether I need to file
an insurance claim or eat the cost of repairs.

From what I can remember this is what happened. When
I was rolling down the small hill in first gear, I popped the
clutch and the engine sputtered, then the rpm's red-lined
and the bike came almost straight up. I was able to keep it
from going over and kinda "pushed" the front end back
down (either that or the engine was shutting down)
anyway the front came down hard and the steering went
into a severe wobble and that is were I lost control. The
bike jerked left, threw me off then went down on its right
side and helicoptered into the woods.

The plastic on the right side is all scratched up, the stock
exhaust is dented and pushed in on the right side and
the right direction is damaged. I can't see any other
physical damage but I don't know how to evaluate the bike
for damage.

Any suggestions? Should I just bring it to the dealer and
pay (money I don't have right now) or is there some way to
find out what is damaged and maybe a cheaper way to
repair the damage?

Thank you for any information you could give me I really
love the bike and would like to still ride and not watch
most of the summer go by due to lack of funds...
sad.gif

1zhelp.gif

Sorry to hear about the accident, bro! If you take pics of the bike, the board can help you determine a lot of the physical and perhaps some of the mechanical (if any) damage. And at least can help you get pointed in the right direction. That's one thing you will about the board is that we are all willing to help. Welcome!

If you can afford it, it is better to let the pro's check it out for bent frames and tires and get their estimate for repairs ... then see if it cheaper to fix it yourself.
Sorry about your accident and welcome to the Org.

i would call a dealer, tell them what happened and see if they would access the damage for free. if they think your going to buy parts from them, especially fairings ($$$$) they might do it for free. cant hurt to ask.

I'be got stock headers and either a right or left stock can thats perfect....I'd have to look to be sure. Yours for the shipping if you need it.

Dang dude thats horrible, sorry about your bike, welcome to the org

Sledhead - Thank you very much for the offer. If you have the right side stock exhaust I would like to get it. I have not done prepaid shipping before and I will look into it. Can you let me know if you have the exhaust.

I am going to try and get pictures of the bike in the next few days and I will post them here.

Thanks everybody for the welcome. Hope bike isn't damaged to badly.

Shouldn't you put the bike into a higher gear when push starting it? Sorry about what happened, but we all learn from other's mistakes.

From a 5 mph rolling start, cold tire and the bike tries to loop itself when it fires? I can't get a BT56 to stick well enough to pick the front up at 30 mph without spinning when it's cold. If it did go to full throttle, it would take time to winde up from idle to redline. And, it would be such a dog from idle at full open throttle you'd have lots of time to pull the clutch in?

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm thinking this is a fairy tale?
rock.gif

Get some pictures up and I will take them to my shop. That's all we do is fix broken sport bikes we get from auction. Try to figure out if your sub frame is bent. And if you got a friend with a busa take a meaurment from the front tire to a center point on the frame. That should tell you if you bent up the forks or frame neck.

From a 5 mph rolling start, cold tire and the bike tries to loop itself when it fires? I can't get a BT56 to stick well enough to pick the front up at 30 mph without spinning when it's cold. If it did go to full throttle, it would take time to winde up from idle to redline. And, it would be such a dog from idle at full open throttle you'd have lots of time to pull the clutch in?

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm thinking this is a fairy tale?
rock.gif
Yeah, I was thinking the same damn thing. Fairy tale theater.

Seems we are having a rash of "accidental" wheelies. If this were a Gixxer 1000 or ZX10 board I could kind of play along, but uh yeah, I smell BS.

I smelled it alot at the shop too. Lots of guys telling stories about how "A CAR" pulled out and thats why they laid it down. Frequently you get tales that somehow absolve the rider from any responsibility, or least mask a mistake.

My .02

You could have the dealer do an estimate, then repair the bike yourself. Cost maybe 60-80 bucks for the estimate.

That does sound very weird, never heard of a bike going full throttle without twisting the grip. Maybe you have some other problem. Anyway, its much easier to pop start it in 2nd. I've done it many times no problem.

I didn't think you could bum start a fuel injected bike. I thought you need like 8 amps to get it going.
I don't know how many amps you need, but I've push started a busa a few times. If your battery is soo dead that it can't spark the spark plugs, then pushing won't work. It takes much more power to run the starter than to spark a spark plug.

I already got the lecture from my dad about how trying to save 10 min. by push starting the bike vs. hooking jumper cables ended up costing me so much pain aggravation and money. As far as using a higher gear, I can only claim brain cramp because I knew that but I just forgot.

Regarding the red-line, I have no idea what the computer does when it first powers on and how it handles the fuel supply and I don't exactly know how much throttle I was giving it but I know it was not much.

Regarding the fairytale... No one said you had to believe me and if you choose not to believe me then continue on your merry way thinking everyone is liar. You will miss meeting someone one day because you dismissed them as a liar and I have no need to defend myself against you.

Another thing I learned is that your honesty and integrity can never be taken from you, it is only something you can give away. I don't intend to ever do that. When I am able I will take the pictures of the bike and if you require I will take the pictures of the rasberries I have down my right shoulder/arm to prove that this is no fairytale. In fact I wish it was one so I would not have to deal with the injuries to both me and my bike....

Everyone else, thank you for the advise and recommendations it is nice to hear from compassionate helpful people.

I already got the lecture from my dad about how trying to save 10 min. by push starting the bike vs. hooking jumper cables ended up costing me so much pain aggravation and money. As far as using a higher gear, I can only claim brain cramp because I knew that but I just forgot.

Regarding the red-line, I have no idea what the computer does when it first powers on and how it handles the fuel supply and I don't exactly know how much throttle I was giving it but I know it was not much.

Regarding the fairytale... No one said you had to believe me and if you choose not to believe me then continue on your merry way thinking everyone is liar. You will miss meeting someone one day because you dismissed them as a liar and I have no need to defend myself against you.

Another thing I learned is that your honesty and integrity can never be taken from you, it is only something you can give away. I don't intend to ever do that. When I am able I will take the pictures of the bike and if you require I will take the pictures of the rasberries I have down my right shoulder/arm to prove that this is no fairytale. In fact I wish it was one so I would not have to deal with the injuries to both me and my bike....

Everyone else, thank you for the advise and recommendations it is nice to hear from compassionate helpful people.
I don't think anyone was saying you didn't wreck or get road rash, but rather saying that you didn't do it the way you described. I could care less how you did it. You are ok and the bike will be soon. A wreck is a wreck, it doesn't matter if you looped doing a wheelie or push starting it, they both have the same end result. Hope you get her back up and running soon.

Regarding the red-line, I have no idea what the computer does when it first powers on and how it handles the fuel supply and I don't exactly know how much throttle I was giving it but I know it was not much. [/QUOTE]

Apparently you were giving it too much throttle...way too much. The Busa is not "drive-by-wire". Butterflies are opened/closed with the throttle cables. Even if the injectors shot too much gas in, there would not be enough air flow to do much of anything with the butterflies closed.

Back