Dad must not like me riding

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
Before you read this, I have a MSF certificate, and the instructors wanted me to become and instructor in MSF so the HD dealer (HD Riders Edge, Where I took the course) could possibly send me to there instructors training. I passed with flying colors on the experienced riders course. The teachers were VERY impressed with me.
Now, to the story.

So, my dad came into town last weekend, and of course, the topic of my wreck came up. He said "I hope you never get another motorcycle, you don't need one."
me: Well, I've got a 83 Virago I'm working on, so I will be riding again soon.
dad: Well, as long as it isn't a crotch rocket...
me: It's not one, it's a 83 Virago... But once I graduate MMI, I'm gonna get another busa.
dad: Why? 1, Cruiser corner better, and 2, how many older guys do you see riding crotch rockets?
me: 1, no they don't, and it's a sportbike, not crotch rocket.
dad: huh?
me: A crotch rocket is what those squids get when they need an extension of their crotch. I don't need an extension, I'm big enough. I got it to ride and for the sportiness. 2, do I look like and older rider? I'm 23! And to add to that, most riders I ride with are 30+! I met a couple older than that at Deals Gap! So yeah, there are older riders on busa's.
dad: Well, you don't need one, look at what happened to you.
me: What do you mean? an uncontrollable wreck? It was HIDDEN GRAVEL! I was doing UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT!
Ashley (sis-inlaw):thats not what chicky said (THe girl riding on the back)
me: Yeah, she'd definately know the speed, cause her face was a foot from the speedometer... She was probably watching tree's. Plus, she likes to embellish the truthe with stuff. I looked at it just before I entered the corner and hit the gravel! It was a 45mph corner, I was doing 35.
Ashley: well, it obviously wasn't safe enough.
me: You're right, but dad would've probably wrecked too. The State Trooper even said I couldn't have known or done anything. SHID, even the JUDGE agreed! It was thrown out of court! But yeah, I'm a dumbass and don't know how to ride safely...

This continues till the get the fact I'm not gonna  switch from sportbikes, so dad changes his view to comfort... Tells me he's ridden from Chesapeake, VA (his home) to Alabama and was fine. I told him for my riding, the busa fits me best, as I do some touring, and it is comfortable, but I also ride the turns and wanna go to a track one day.
It finally got to the point where we switched subjects thanks to my 2 yr old nephew doing something cute and funny. God I love my nephew.

Harleys handle and do everything better. Or better yet, get a Wing. NOT!!! Just know your right and walk away. Happy hunting for your new busa...

Not knowing the whole situation I can only guess where you're father is coming from. Being a father myself, I would guess this....

Having his son already wreck a bike once (potentially a fatal thing), he realizes how much he loves you. He doesn't want to see anything bad happen to you and realizes that with the statistics/stories he's heard about 'crotch rockets' you will become a statistic too. It kills him to realize he may lose his son for a 'senseless' reason.

All bikes are inherently dangerous. Add inattentive cagers and it gets worse. Add HyperBikes and its gets crazy. This is not saying anything about your riding skills, just statistics.

I'm pretty sure your father was not getting on your case about a bike and your riding skills. He obviously trusts you on a cruiser. He's just concerned (rightly so) about losing you.

Be thankful you have a father that cares enough to say something. I know it's irritating (was to me too with my parents) but now in my older age, I realize it was love that was talking.

Sounds like your set on a Busa.. Ride safe!
wink.gif

My Mom and Grandma gave me a little h3ll about
mine when I first got it cuz they both knew about
Big Ben and his face plant on a Busa. After they
came to visit Mom was convinced she could ride it
and would look Hott on it
ices_rofl.gif

(forceofnature @ Sep. 22 2007,16:44) Sometimes they just never get it.
Ain't that the truth... This is one of my absolute favorite t-shirts..... I can't tell you how many people read the shirt and go "Huh?..." But the smart (lucky) ones read it and say "Heck, yeah!"

dance.gif

My Pops was supportive about my crash. He knows it's not what you ride but how you ride it +/- a little luck.

Be safe.

(Mike.P175 @ Sep. 22 2007,21:59) My Mom and Grandma gave me a little h3ll about
mine when I first got it cuz they both knew about
Big Ben and his face plant on a Busa. After they
came to visit Mom was convinced she could ride it
and would look Hott on it
ices_rofl.gif
HA! Funny thing about Roethlisberger (Or however you spell his name)... His name is Big Ben, my name is Big Ben (When you stand 6'10" you're BORN with that name, lol)... He face planted on a busa, I faceplanted on a busa... He makes millions of dollers... Well, there's SOME similarities...
laugh.gif

(whitele @ Sep. 22 2007,20:53) Not knowing the whole situation I can only guess where you're father is coming from. Being a father myself, I would guess this....

Having his son already wreck a bike once (potentially a fatal thing), he realizes how much he loves you. He doesn't want to see anything bad happen to you and realizes that with the statistics/stories he's heard about 'crotch rockets' you will become a statistic too. It kills him to realize he may lose his son for a 'senseless' reason.

All bikes are inherently dangerous. Add inattentive cagers and it gets worse. Add HyperBikes and its gets crazy. This is not saying anything about your riding skills, just statistics.

I'm pretty sure your father was not getting on your case about a bike and your riding skills. He obviously trusts you on a cruiser. He's just concerned (rightly so) about losing you.

Be thankful you have a father that cares enough to say something. I know it's irritating (was to me too with my parents) but now in my older age, I realize it was love that was talking.

Sounds like your set on a Busa.. Ride safe!  
wink.gif
I can understand that, and thats what I was thinking, but to me, if you can't be safe on a busa or any other "crotch rocket", you don't have the control to be safe on ANY bike.

The REALLY funny thing is my brother is on my dad's side, saying I have no right to really own any bike cause I'd kill myself *both wrecks I've had were deamed not my fault, nothing could be done* and giving me crap for my wreck on loose hidden gravel... And yet 2-3 yrs ago, he wrecked on *drumroll please* LOOSE GRAVEL!!! Yes thats right, he wrecked under the same conditions (minus passenger) and yet, says I can't ride because of my wreck... By the way, the only other incident with a motorcycle I had was a 16 yr old turning left 10 ft in front of me... Nothing could've been done. His other standout incident (he's had a couple, just none to report to popo or insurance) was being a moron and leaving his motorcycle consistently parked in the same spot in his front yard, unlocked. It was promptly stolen... But If I bring up those incidents of his, it's nothing... His wreck was cause he was inexperienced with about 3 mths under his belt (I had 3 mths when the 16 yr old hit me) and the theft... Well, he doesn;t say much about that, except it's the PD's fault for not patrolling enough.

Okay, sorry bout that...
rant.gif

parents are parents and all they do is worry about u and to ur dad ur still 12 and clueless about life .......
its a fine line relationship with some of them but .....u have to remember its ur life ur choice and he has to be able to live with that and just let him know ur still care about him and his opinion
beerchug.gif

(LCB @ Sep. 22 2007,23
super.gif
)
Ain't that the truth...       This is one of my absolute favorite t-shirts.....   I can't tell you how many people read the shirt and go "Huh?..."   But the smart (lucky) ones read it and say "Heck, yeah!"
where do I get one of those shirts?
smile.gif

reaperwear.com
cool.gif

Not all fathers know best...

Next time inform dad road rage is a real thing, and since your only defense is your ability to get away, sportbikes win. Especially if the cager is in a high powered sports car. A cruiser is anything but safer. Truth is, a sportbike is the SAFEST motorcycle in existance. In comparison to any other road bike out there, You have the best in braking and handling to avoid sudden obstacles and the best in acceleration to get ahead and away from offending cagers be it idiot tailgaters or morons moving into your lane wether they care your there or not. Theres some nice beefed up cruisers there but nothing like the total package a sportbike offers.

For the record, my first 2 bikes was a 1200 sportster and a Buell S1 lightning. My 3rd was my first sportbike, a CBR blackbird. One of the wisest and best moves i made.
beerchug.gif

Many people have the justifiable opinion that sports bike riders are a public nuisance( squids); hey, look at insurance rates. Three co-workers (friends)were killed on 600 cc sportbikes two of them had young children--- all three were inexperienced riders. I have seen them spread out on the on the highway with cover's over their cprpses and their bikes an undistinguishable mess. So when you and the family are in the car and you see a bunch of squids flash by at a high rate of speed or doing mono's down the freeway what is the public to expect ?

(yamahor @ Sep. 23 2007,00:29) I can understand that, and thats what I was thinking, but to me, if you can't be safe on a busa or any other "crotch rocket", you don't have the control to be safe on ANY bike.

The REALLY funny thing is my brother is on my dad's side, saying I have no right to really own any bike cause I'd kill myself *both wrecks I've had were deamed not my fault, nothing could be done* and giving me crap for my wreck on loose hidden gravel... And yet 2-3 yrs ago, he wrecked on *drumroll please* LOOSE GRAVEL!!! Yes thats right, he wrecked under the same conditions (minus passenger) and yet, says I can't ride because of my wreck... By the way, the only other incident with a motorcycle I had was a 16 yr old turning left 10 ft in front of me... Nothing could've been done. His other standout incident (he's had a couple, just none to report to popo or insurance) was being a moron and leaving his motorcycle consistently parked in the same spot in his front yard, unlocked. It was promptly stolen... But If I bring up those incidents of his, it's nothing... His wreck was cause he was inexperienced with about 3 mths under his belt (I had 3 mths when the 16 yr old hit me) and the theft... Well, he doesn;t say much about that, except it's the PD's fault for not patrolling enough.

Okay, sorry bout that...
rant.gif
Sounds like you know what you are doing. At this point, the best thing would be to not get defensive, but when the point comes up, acknowledge that he does have valid points. And then let it go. A disagreement flows two ways and if you don't give any ammo (well, my brother did this, it was gravel, she exaggerates, etc) the discussion ends.

It's kind of tough because you want to defend your choice and correct them, but it usually does no good. (Learned this from my sister who is a social worker)
smile.gif

There may be a frustration in there from them not seeing your point of view, it's ok. Like it was said earlier, sometimes they just don't get it.
wink.gif

Yama, They just love ya dude..... Im 37 with kids of my own ...and my parents tell me the same thing. Its what parents do when they love ya man.

(Big Tuna @ Sep. 23 2007,07:16) Yama, They just love ya dude..... Im 37 with kids of my own ...and my parents tell me the same thing. Its what parents do when they love ya man.
I agree. I'm 31 with kid's and my folks still worry.Fortunately my dad's been into bikes of all kinds for as long as I remember so I just flip tyhe script and let him ride the 'Busa so I can worry about him.
AAAssjani.gif

(LCB @ Sep. 22 2007,22:29)
Ain't that the truth... This is one of my absolute favorite t-shirts..... I can't tell you how many people read the shirt and go "Huh?..." But the smart (lucky) ones read it and say "Heck, yeah!"
Do you have a link for reaperware shirts? Reaperware.com goes to one of those whored-out link f'ed up pages that have nothing to do with reaperware shirts...
guns.gif
mad.gif
pissed.gif
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
bluegrab.gif

Back