Da Bug Blows Up!

Dang that sucks KS, have you checked the wiring? It may sound dump, but it's worth a shot. Also maybe you could also spin the crank manually to see if you could hear abnormal sounds. If it's the top end, I have a buddy that has a 2000 motor laying around with I think 18000 miles on it.

Dang that sucks KS, have you checked the wiring? It may sound dump, but it's worth a shot. Also maybe you could also spin the crank manually to see if you could hear abnormal sounds. If it's the top end, I have a buddy that has a 2000 motor laying around with I think 18000 miles on it.
If KS don't need the motor in the end, I wouldn't mind buying that one up.
biggrin.gif
Hit me up if he is looking to sell it...

If KS don't need the motor in the end, I wouldn't mind buying that one up.
biggrin.gif
Hit me up if he is looking to sell it...
No problem, I'll hit him up & keep you posted.

Interested "Yes" give me a day or two to tear down the Bug.... Gotta see what really happened.

It sounds like either the cam chain broke or it dropped a valve. With the engine revving that fast chances are the valve went down into the piston and scored the cylinder walls a bit and beat the head up, maybe bent a connecting rod.

That sucks to hear man, I feel your pain...Everything I've owned in the last 2 years have blown up, XR200 dirt bike, XL350R dirt bike, banshee and my snowmobile. The 2 strokes were easier fo fix...the 4 strokes weren't worth fixing. I'm sure you'll be able to find a motor out of a smashed busa around at a decent price.

Thanks everyone for your support... Took me an hour to get the gun metal taste out of my mouth! (Ok, just kidding) But it really does bum me out! I believe you may be on to something with the top end. Thats something I hadn't thought about. Oh yea forgot to mention the bike died on its own and won't turn over now.
Simply because both the sounds and the way it died sound like exactly what happened in my car, it sounds like you lost the timing completely.

If that's the case, it can range anywhere from relatively cheap (which would be just replacing the chain and resetting it) to quite expensive (where the valves are all bent and impacted the pistons, needing to replace the valves and the guides, as well as resurface the pistons...). Pretty much a full top-end teardown. The latter happened to me on my car, and the mechanic said that it would actually be cheaper to get a replacement/salvage engine, but unfortunately my car is only six years old, so finding one was pretty tough, and didn't happen. $3300 out of pocket for me.
sad.gif

Again that's worst-case scenario, but I wanted to throw it out there so you wouldn;t be too blindsided by it.

Best of luck.

This is probably the case.... Top End Rebuild I'll keep everyone posted, thanks to everyone for offering up some parts! Only on the Org.

I did have the recall done sometime ago. Still can't rule this out..

KS just for kicks pull your clutch cover off and take a look there before you stat tearing into the motor. If the clutch blew up it could have lodged a peice in the gears and locked it up. It is worth trying at this point Nothing to lose.

And if you need any help or your need parts at a discount let me know I have a few avenues to pursue that might help. At least for the factory parts.

damn bro hope you get it fixed....wanted to track this too for future refrence. So if its the chain is that still an expensive fix...and this chain have somehting to do with teh cam chain tensioner of the earlier models?

KS just for kicks pull your clutch cover off and take a look there before you stat tearing into the motor. If the clutch blew up it could have lodged a peice in the gears and locked it up. It is worth trying at this point Nothing to lose.
Hmmmm... possible, but I think if this was the case, the bike would lurch forward and at least try to turn over (and if you could get it to neutral, it would still be able to, I'd imagine).

Scary, the bike climbs to redline so fast that I too have bounced the limiter in 1st or 2nd a couple of times this season already. Exactly how bad is this on the motor? And yes, I know a shift light would help.

Hmmmm... possible, but I think if this was the case, the bike would lurch forward and at least try to turn over (and if you could get it to neutral, it would still be able to, I'd imagine).
Your right, I missed the part about hitting the Rev limiter. I hate to say it but I think everyone is right. Once it hit the limiter the cam chain went slack and KKKKAAAAABBBBOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

Sorry KS let me know if I can help in anyway.

aww fugg.....damn sorry to hear it, Ks.

I hope it's not too bad to fix....and yeah, it sounds like it could be a cam chain.

Sorry to here that KS.
sad.gif
 Hopefully its not a major rebuild.

<!--EDIT|BLKBLU04
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115824059 -->

Da Bug dropped the bike off yesterday evening..... Fingers crossed as I wait to see if my baby will need major surgery! Hoping for the best (out patient...)
smile.gif

Back