Da Bug Blows Up!

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Well lets just throw another iron in the fire. While riding with my brother last night I decide to get on it from a stop sign. First gear to red-line nice and smooth, second-gear hits rev limiter and before you can finish reading this the all familar sound of "clunk, clunk, clunk!"............. Bike rolls to a stop. The sound of silence is deafening. Not to worry I think as I look around the bike for the presence of oil. Can't find a drop, whew I think. Glad I didn't spot any leaking oil. So, I procede to try and bump the engine over with the starter. Absolutely nothing. Things are starting to look bad. I push the bike to the first dirt road I can find (in this case its about thirty yards away, at least all my luck hasn't completly run out). After securing my location I take a real good look at the bike and still no presence of leaking oil. There was no indication of a rich or lean condition prior to the motor rattling and going silient, but I strongly suspect one of the following conditions.
1. Bent/broken valve
2. One or more pistons not doing so good after the admission of a valve into the top!
3. Anybody's guess......
Anybody got a Very Rough guesstimate as to cost of repair?

Not sure what it could be but if you threw something in the motor what better time then to get a 1397.
How many miles on the engine? I cannot offer a guess on how much until you find out the extent of the damage.

Sorry to hear about that ks
sad.gif

Good Luck

geez KS, august is just around the corner!! have u checked the fluid in your gauges? or the conipitionator roundness?? let me know
getterdone

Pain: What's a 1397?

KS: I don't know what it could be, but out of curiosity, what year is your bike and how many miles does it have?

2000 with less than 15,000 miles.....
sad.gif

I've thought about going big bore, but this won't fix the upper half of the motor. So, leaves me wondering.

That sucks, KS! I couldn't even attempt to tell you what the problem is or how much it would cost to fix.

Spigga, a 1397 is a modded engine (valves, pistons, cams) to give you 1397 instead of 1299 cc.

Did the bike die on it's own or did you kill swtich it yourself KS?

Well if i would have to guess on price to fix it i could onlt speculate from a 1000 to 5000 dolla fix all depending what all bent or broke and how much more damage it did. if it was just a valve then might get it done for under 2000 but if you have some scaring on piston walls and such then it can only go up from there.

I know when my motor went a couple years back i could still start it and run it but it had spun 3 main bearing and a rod bearing so my block was shot so it was getting a new motor time.

If there is any way you can do the tear down your self it saves some money and then you'd know if it's worth trying to fixe or just buying a used motor somewhere

But mabey i'm off Hopefully JC can chim in and give some better advice or mabey your better off going over to Sh.org and asking over there. seems to be alot more gear heads over on that site. just a suggestion

good luck with it and hope you get it down before cycle fest i mean after all i still owe ya that beer

cool.gif

That sucks...I'm sorry to hear it ks...

Damn, damn, damn...I hope you find it's something that can be fixed and that it doesn't cost too much...
sad.gif

Bummer, that is not to re-assuring to hear from a new Busa owner. Did you change the oil regularly, was the level low?

sorry to hear about this one KS, I hope you can get it back and running soon! Youu only have 98days to get it fixed
wink.gif

Wish I could help ya, but I have no clue when it comes to that stuff, nor do I have any extras layin around.
sad.gif

That sucks, KS!  I couldn't even attempt to tell you what the problem is or how much it would cost to fix.

Spigga, a 1397 is a modded engine (valves, pistons, cams) to give you 1397 instead of 1299 cc.
This sucks, Ks!
BigBS,1397 has nothing to do with the valves or cams, it is all piston. Either the cylinder diameter and therefore piston diameter is enlarged (bore) or the distance the piston travels up and down in the cylinder is lengthened (stroke) or both. This increases the displacement of the engine, in this case from 1299cc to 1397cc. Often, different cams and larger valves are used as well, to take advantage of the larger displacement.

2000 with less than 15,000 miles.....
sad.gif

I've thought about going big bore, but this won't fix the upper half of the motor. So, leaves me wondering.
Did you get the timing chain recall done? If not, I fear that's exactly what it is. You'll prolly have to replace the whole top end of the motor. I'm pretty sure these are interference motors, if the timing chain breaks, your top end is done.

Thanks everyone for your support... Took me an hour to get the gun metal taste out of my mouth! (Ok, just kidding) But it really does bum me out! I believe you may be on to something with the top end. Thats something I hadn't thought about. Oh yea forgot to mention the bike died on its own and won't turn over now.

I just rebuilt my engine for my turbo... I may have some extra parts for ya in a couple of weeks when you find out what you need. Hit me up; I have rods and pistsons for sure...

CLoud

Back