D.I.D. KM500R chain tool . Do chain replacements your self how 2 video

c10

Registered
Here are two videos made today for any of you tired of paying the shop to do the job . Its not hard , and get the life time tool by D.I.D. mine has seen about 30 to 40 chains over the years . My box is worn out , but the tool is a champ . For the first timer if it makes you feel better you can buy a couple of cheap 530 master links from cycle gear or on line , and use your old chain to practice on before you take center stage ;)

With some editing software you can edit out the camera positioning. It would be worth it as many videos as you make.

W
I kind of like my rough videos lol . I'm not a pro :) just a average person . It was nice when Hunter lived here for videos . Part 2 is up loading now .
We do as well but it is an excuse to come live in your garage.....

I'm new to intermediate bike mechanics. Oil changes & spark plugs since I was a grunt, but breaking/replacing chains was definitely a black art. Videos like this instill confidence. The content rings true no matter what the camera angle. Thanks to c10

Thanks for taking the time to make these vids Bryan,
hey, don't feel bad about the little errors and forgetting to place the o-rings etc . . . if you do this work every day it becomes automatic to place everything in the correct order, as a pro mechanic would.
But, when you only do your own chain at home about every 3 or 4 years, it's hard to remember the procedure and the different configuration of the tool parts.
I replace o-ring chains on farm bikes every other day and road bikes about once a week and sometimes I screw up and leave o-rings out and then have to re do it all again!
We are fallible humans after all lol.
I have a cheap version of the chain breaker tool at home, but at work we have the DID tool like the one you used.
My cheap one works fine, but you have to grind the pin flat and flush with the plate face before pressing the pin through . . . otherwise you will bend the little mandril bit. Yep, I know because I have done it lol.

Thanks C10 great walk through. I bought a cheap one and it lasted about three uses. I could have used Kiwi Rider's tip lol. You're right about the cost of having the chain done, I paid once and it was near half of the price of the DID..

I found a d.i.d chain tool fir around 80 bucks off Ebay or Amazon after a post @c10 made a year or two ago and definitely glad I did. Ive used it on my chain replacement as well as a couple friends and found it ti be real simple to use and definitely a lot stronger then some of the cheaper ones ive tried. Until the busa I always just used clip style master links but now that I have the right tool I won't ever fo back even on smaller bikes.

Greg i'm usually very good at laying stuff out . Lost focus on the actual job due to explaining the job lol .
Glad you guys like the stuff .
Great job bryan, as usual... I also know why you forgot the O-rings....muahahaha :beerchug: :lol:

:eek: DAM c you pushed that rivet right through without grinding it??? That is one tough tool! I will post pics of what changing chains twice has done to the EK chain tool I purchased 10 years ago. I did grind the rivets and I think I was as gentle as possible on this tool although chain breaking on a new chain is a heavy duty procedure, for sure. I think I payed $200 for the EK tool probably including shipping...it's $175 right now.

Well for now, lets just say two chains ate that EK tool right up for lunch. It's not unusable yet. It might get me through the 14's new chain but I think I will be getting a DID for the busa chain.

One question for right now, is the DID tool designed to fit DID chains perfectly and maybe not other chains? Looks to me like the plates on my EK tool might be machined to fit the rivet and outer plate of an EK chain (I would presume since the tool was made by EK). OR do you think all chains are shaped pretty much the same and will fit in any tool equally well?

I'll show pics on this thread of my poor EK tool ASAP.

Last edited:
:eek: DAM c you pushed that rivet right through without grinding it??? That is one tough tool! I will post pics of what changing chains twice has done to the EK chain tool I purchased 10 years ago. I did grind the rivets and I think I was as gentle as possible on this tool although chain breaking on a new chain is a heavy duty procedure, for sure. I think I payed $200 for the EK tool probably including shipping...it's $175 right now.

Well for now, lets just say two chains ate that EK tool right up for lunch. It's not unusable yet. It might get me through the 14's new chain but I think I will be getting a DID for the busa chain.

One question for right now, is the DID tool designed to fit DID chains perfectly and maybe not other chains? Looks to me like the plates on my EK tool might be machined to fit the rivet and outer plate of an EK chain (I would presume since the tool was made by EK). OR do you think all chains are shaped pretty much the same and will fit in any tool equally well?

I'll show pics on this thread of my poor EK tool ASAP.
KMR 500 tool does all make chains just fine ;) I have used it for many EK ZZZ and ZVX chains

Back