D.I.D. KM500R chain tool . Do chain replacements your self how 2 video

KMR 500 tool does all make chains just fine ;) I have used it for many EK ZZZ and ZVX chains
+1 on this... putting a vortex chain on a 750 as I write this with the d.i.d tool and done a couple zvx chains as well :thumbsup:

Thanks for the videos @c10 I figured at 16k plus miles on the busa, I’ll seen be doing this job, so is nice to see the tools and tricks needed for the job.

Here are pics of my EK chain tool.

In the first pic, you see that the threads are getting rough in one spot. I think that is right at the depth where the pin starts pushing the rivet through. all the threads after that are also scraped.

Here is why I think the threads are getting damaged. The threaded hole that the handle screws into. The handle male threads are not even very long. I think they coulda drilled that hole for the handle just shy of intersecting the main passage. You can see there are sharp threads at the end of that handle hole and the main screw has to thread past those at some pretty high torque.

The plates and pins that attach to the EK tool might be made to specifically fit EK chains. They should have left the handle off and used flats for a wrench instead or put a boss on the outside if they needed to drill a handle hole that deep. That intersection wears this sucker out in no time. That's what I think happened anyway. Its only been used 5 times on my last two chains. Break, Break, Conect, Break, Break. Hope it makes it through the next connect.

I got my Z3D on the 14 and it was a perfect install. I was really, REALLY careful thinking this through for an embarrassingly long time. I actually came to the garage and left 3 or 4 times without finishing because I felt the need to think it over a bit more! I used calipers to measure the width of the rivets and the width between outside plates on the other links a bunch of times. I decided to compress the master link about .15 mm on the loose side before riveting it. As it turned out, the plate holders that fit into the tool would have compressed it maybe just a few hundredths of a millimeter more than I did. SO--I think the tool knows what to do! The master link rivets on my previous chain were just shy of 6 mm. The other rivets on the new chain were 6 mm. I went for 5.98 mm carefully taking the tool off to check the diameter with a calipers. The tool seemed to freeze up right at 5.98 mm. It didn't want to go any tighter. Again, it appears that the EK tool knows when to stop.

Brings me back to my earlier question: does the DID tool do that with an EK chain? Do all brands of 530 pitch chains have plates that are 23 mm outside to outside? do they all have 6 mm rivets? Do they all have master link pins that are the same length? Are these things standard among all brands? I don't care much for the design flaw in the EK tool but it darned sure seemed it would have done a perfect job without any checking at all.

These tools are designed for shops / pro mechanics for the few left . A guy that has done 1xxx chains does not check pin rivet diameter . With the KMR tool I do not bother anymore as I can tell / feel a good press .
Recently ( when at Red's ) to test Master links I ran a off brand 530 on a stock Suzuki chain to California , and back . It had same dimensions as other 530 links within .005 so that was good enough for me .

These tools are designed for shops / pro mechanics for the few left . A guy that has done 1xxx chains does not check pin rivet diameter .
That's what I'm thinking. If you haven't done a bazillion chains, are you better off with a chain tool made by the same company that made the chain? I would have a try with a DID tool on an EK chain now that I meticulously followed what happened on the last install. I have heard of people over-pressing the rivet though. If all 530 chains are the same width and the master link pins are all the same length, I'd think all of the tools to connect the master link must have the same size and shape holder plates and the rivet pin would also have the same shape.

If I buy a titanium chain, there won't be any chain tool made by that company to install it with. Best to know what your doing before putting a Ti chain on no matter what tool you use.

@c10
&
@all

my small "extension" :

by chance and by fault i bought this Regina tool for a 530 D.I.D.
regina-kettennietwerkzeug.gif

now / since 10 years or more i use this "Regina" tool only to press the outer lug onto the pins of the D.I.D. 530 chain lock.
after pressing on its place i use the same tool like you to press the D.I.D. lock´s pins with "hollow rivets".
Craft-Meyer%20Vernietwerkzeug.gif

and
when ever i use this
i never more take a second wrench to hold it - I just let it turn a little until the chain stops its turning and then I give about one complete turn on the tool´s screw - done.

the rivet only needs only a very little squeezing to keep the lug for ever at its place.

and:
i still miss the c-clips, as they were an excellent chance to quickly dismantle the chain.
but all these damn stupid people, who put these clips the wrong way onto, lost them and the chain later too, of course.
this i guess made the chain manufacturers to take these c-clips for the 530 chains off the market.

the rivet only needs only a very little squeezing to keep the lug for ever at its place.
That's what I've read. Going for a 6 mm rivet is "only a very little squeezing." The pin is only 5.65 mm in diameter. The tip of the pin is tapered smaller of course but the hole in the plate is 5.65 mm since the pin fits through it. A 6 mm rivet is only peened over the edge of that hole .15 mm! That's as small as I'd want to go and 6 mm is the diameter of the factory pressed rivets (although they use a square die that only peens four corners).

Not that I'd recommend it but -- it's hard to believe a master link would come apart very easily even if it was not riveted. It takes a lot of force to press those pins through the holes, maybe 40~50 ft lbs? A friend was riding with his GF right after she had a shop install a new chain. Her chain came apart, whipped her calf and dented the fuel tank. She didn't crash, luckily. I wonder if the tech even riveted that chain? That's why I'd rather do these things myself even if it takes me hours to get it right.

Back