Cylinder hone

Vetteman761

Registered
Would any of you know what the cylinders on a gen 1 are plated with? Mine arent bad nut putting in new rings and want to hone them, going to use the flex hone but not sure what abrasive to use silicon carbide, aluminum oxide etc.

Would any of you know what the cylinders on a gen 1 are plated with? Mine arent bad nut putting in new rings and want to hone them, going to use the flex hone but not sure what abrasive to use silicon carbide, aluminum oxide etc.
I've researched this before and found companies that do it.Their websites state the use of 240 grit. as you mentioned yes,A O. Don't take my word for it thou,I have no hands on experience. There are Youtube videos with walkthoughs.
yup.
Rubb.

Thanks guys, wondering if I should just leave it be, Millenium technologies wants 168 plus shipping which isnt bad but thought I could give it a go myself for price of tool , choices Choices
Hi. I would look for a machine shop close to you that can do it. or send it off to Millenium. Any thing over stock bore + .001 needs to be fixed.

Isn't cast iron heavy?
Hi. Yes it will make the block heavier it have a better head gasket seal and make the block stronger as well. I know I love light weight I like to go out of my way to save 1 gram, but I always go with is the best way to make the strongest motor. I am putting 5 times more HP then stock. That is why I am using heavy pistons and rods. I will shed ever gram where it is safe to. Like off of me, I still need to lose 29 lbs. That is a lot harder than I though.

You cannot hone the cylinders, bad idea and you cannot put new rings in without removing the glaze.
Putting in a sleeve is the baddest idea of all.
Nikasil (Nickel Silicon Carbide) coatings have been around for a long time, Porche, Mercedes etc. Suzuki have their own proprietary process.

The coating in part when new is designed to bed in new rings.

To do this right you would have to machine the block and have it re-coated.

Without going into more detail, Google is your friend and ask Brock who he uses for coatings.

WJM

Unless there is damage on a cylinder in do not hone the nikasil.

Back