Cyclone aftermath in New Zealand.

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Here's a link to a news vid showing one of the slips on the main state highway here in the South Island of NZ, about 250 kms north of where I live.
This road had only just opened since a major earthquake brought massive slips and damage in Nov 2016
The scale of the works needed to repair it is HUGE!
This road was one of the best motorcycling roads here due to the hundreds of corners, challenging terrain and incredible scenery.
Oh well, have to wait even longer before I can ride that one again, damit.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10...of-kaikura-closed-until-at-least-monday-night

Were they working on that road or is all that damage? :shocked:
We had a huge quake in Nov 2016 and there was hundreds of huge slips like the ones on that vid for 100 miles of coastline. They've been working on the repairs for the las 15 montrhs and only just opened the road a month ago.
Now this has happened, more major work to sort it out.
Bummer.

What sort of retaining wall would you have to build to contain that sort of tonnage . Difficult in the extreme , I'd say for sure .

Based on several plate tectonics theories I've been discussing recently, the amount of crustal movements will only get worse in the next few years.

Reminds me of what used to be one of the busiest roads in the Dominican Republic that went from the center of the country through the mountains to the airport on the north coast. It was constant work to maintain it due to slides and such. Eventually, a new airport was built in the city I’m from and they didn’t see any reason to continue to maintain the road since it wasn’t traveled by thousands anymore and it was just left alone. I decided to drive through it across the mountains on my last trip back home like in the old days and thought I wasn’t going to make it due to pavement being pretty much non-existent and overgrown vegetation. They recently started to rebuild it to help boost tourism around there, but it will be years of work and many millions of dollars that some government pig will pocket before is done with 2 inches of crappy asphalt that will last until the next hurricane and get tore up again.
Sorry for the rant........................ how important is this road for you guys over there?

Back