Cycle World Superbike Comparo (spoiler)

bazooki

Registered
Not Busa related but with all the S1000RR talk on the board lately I thought it might be of interest. Don't usually buy Cycle World as I have subscribed to Motorcyclist for as long as I can remember but when I saw the 9 bike shootout I thought I would buy in. The bikes are:

Honda CBR1000RR
Suzuki GSXR1000
Kawasaki ZX10R
Yamaha R1
KTM RC8R
Aprilia RSV4 Factory
BMW S1000RR
Ducati 1198S Corse
MV Agusta F4

Fastest avg lap times goes to the BMW followed by the Aprilia and KTM.
Slowest avg lap times go to the R1 (yes the World Champion!)
Top rankings are given to BMW then Aprilia and the MV in 3rd.
Rider rating gives top spot to the Aprilia and most of the test riders found the Aprilia to be the easiest to ride fast.
The only bike that did not have support crew at the testing was the Gixxer.
BMW has an outstanding test with the only negative being complaints about worst brake performance of the group and some complaints about the electronics holding back performance.
Overall conclusion: If you want the fastest lap times go for the S1000RR, otherwise the best overall bike goes to the Aprilia.

Excellent reading.

Both of those bikes are at a higher price point that any of the japanese bikes. I'm interested to see what japan answers with in their next generation of bikes.

Cool...appreciate the heads up. I'll be picking up this issue.

Surprising the BMW got rated w/ bad brakes when it comes w/ Brembo's stock!???
That Aprilia RSV4 Factory is bad machine....just a beautiful bike. I'd have to go w/ the Beemer, but it would be a tough decision. The Aprilia would be even more expensive to maintain.

Both of those bikes are at a higher price point that any of the japanese bikes. I'm interested to see what japan answers with in their next generation of bikes.

One of the interesting comments is that the Japanese bikes aren't necessarily losing out to horsepower but more to electronic aids that the more expensive bikes currently have to knock down those fast lap times. I would guess more hp AND electronics for the next gen Japanese bikes.

Ironic that in the same issue Nicky Hayden complains about too many electronics and wishes for the old days....

One of the interesting comments is that the Japanese bikes aren't necessarily losing out to horsepower but more to electronic aids that the more expensive bikes currently have to knock down those fast lap times. I would guess more hp AND electronics for the next gen Japanese bikes.

Ironic that in the same issue Nicky Hayden complains about too many electronics and wishes for the old days....

He may not have to wait long. The sanctioned body of MotoGP is seriously considering limiting or all together getting rid of 'em soon.......

I would guess more hp AND electronics for the next gen Japanese bikes.

:yes: exactly what i'm hoping for.

He may not have to wait long. The sanctioned body of MotoGP is seriously considering limiting or all together getting rid of 'em soon.......

I think that would be a step in the wrong direction imo. Although I would understand if it ws to keep operating costs down.

I like the look of the Aprilia and the 1198s. Not so much much for the beemer. Looks like its wearing an eyepatch or something. I sat on an 1198 before, right after getting off the Busa and it felt like I could lift it off the ground with just the handlebars, but that probably goes for just about any of these.

I like the look of the Aprilia and the 1198s. Not so much much for the beemer. Looks like its wearing an eyepatch or something. I sat on an 1198 before, right after getting off the Busa and it felt like I could lift it off the ground with just the handlebars, but that probably goes for just about any of these.

The test weight (no fuel) of the 1198S was 431 lb which was the lightest of all the competitors. The CBR was 2nd @ 440 lb. Heaviest was the R1 @ 471 lb followed by the MV Agusta @ 468 lb and the BMW @ 460 lb.

Back