Cutting tool for Frame Sliders

manatrader

Donating Member
Registered
I'm going to install frame sliders this weekend, but want to know what type of drill bit you have used to cut with?

I haven't done the mod myself, but I believe that most people used a drill bit to make the initial hole and then used a hole saw.

hole saw from walmart. you get a pack of 4 for about 10 bucks

actually it left them pretty smooth because the rubbing actually heats the saw and melts the blades through the plastic so its a nice edge. Put masking tape on the fairing before you cut to keep the paint from flaking. Tha hole was smooth but i took the trim thats around the gas tank on the fairngs and used that to go around the hole

One bit of good advice when using the hole saw as to not damage the paint: ALWAYS RUN YOUR DRILL IN THE "REVERSE" POSITION BECAUSE IT MAKES A SMOOTHER CUT THAT WAY.

Using the hole saw means your holes have to be exact. I went with a Dremel because I wasn't sure how exact my starter hole placement was. Then I smoothed it down using a sanding tip on the Dremel.

I hear you all, placement needs to be perfect or it will be costly mistake. Keep the suggestions coming only 2 more days before cutting begins. I do plan on taking a couple close ups of the cutting so all can see what it looks like.

cool.gif

well one prob i had was with teh left side...the hole is extremly close to the hole that the may fairing bolt goes into. If you use the holesaw it will actually cut into the indentation for that bolt so i move just a smidiget south and not the hole doesnt line up and i dont put that bolt in anymore so thats the main prob i had. other than that pretty strait foward

Use clay on the inside of your fairing panels press the panel against the slider bolt (short bolt) for a reference. MArk the center with a marker (yeah you need to remove the clay!) Use a hole saw for a perfect and centered cut.

I did this mod today thanks for the advice it went okay some learning curve here glade I only have to do it once or should I say twice.

Adding the frame sliders on Elenor the day after!

This thread has been helpful
bowdown.gif

I also used a hole saw...it left the edges pretty cleaned but I sanded them down afterwards to get any burrs off....I drilled a pilot hole first and make sure you do the same...And when you are cutting do not use a lot of pressure with the whole saw...They holes will be perfect...I was surprised how nice they came out...looks factory to me...Good luck and measure 3-4 times and drill once...

Back