Cutting the stock cans?

HooDude

Registered
Hello peeps. I've seen some Gen 1 busas that have had the stock cans cut and shortened. I was wondering about doing this to my Gen II, but it seems to me that the stock exhaust pipes are tapered.. meaning they're wider at the end than at the front. So i'm not sure if the chrome tip would fit on the end if they were cut down.

Can anyone confirm if they are indeed tapered? I'm out of town and can't go measure mine. Has anyone tried this?

I played with mine since at the time I had a Yosh R77 on the way. First off it is a pain in the butt.  By the time I got the chrome tips off they were bent and looked like crap (1 came off with just a little bending and the other needed the love of a hammer even with a ton of WD-40).
I cut them just about 2 inches shorter and that left a bit of a gap. Much further and you wont get the tip back on.  I don't have a welder, nor am I sure you can weld the tip, so I drilled a small hole on the sides and uses a screw to hold them on. It sounds mean with the baffles out, but a little loud for my taste and after all was said and done it turned out crummy and made my beautiful bike look ghetto.
2cents.gif
By the way, those baffles together had to weigh close to 15 lbs

I saw a guy who did it to his 08' and it looked really bad... kinda looked like the back part of his pipes fell off... give it a whirl, but be prepared to buy some after market pipes/exhaust.

-Matt

Can the baffles inside the pipes just be yanked the hell out? Then put the cap back on without doing any cutting? Basically i'd like to make it louder without spending anything at the moment
tounge.gif

I did it.You cant really shorten them because they are tapered a little but i did strait pipe them.Holy poop its loud.

Back