Cutting stock kickstand?

denraweb

Registered
I have my kickstand notched out and my bike still sits almost straight, so I was wondering can I just cut the foot off of the kickstand? Any disadvantages? I dont really want to cut a section out and reweld because 1) I dont have access to a welder and 2) it seems that would create weak points...

Without the foot it will sink into things you park on ie driveway as nothing but a point to distribute the bike weight... But ya you can do it..

If your close to me bring it over and I will weld it for you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Are you sure you notched both the inward and outward side of the stand? I would strongly recommend NOT cutting the foot off.

Are you sure you notched both the inward and outward side of the stand? I would strongly recommend NOT cutting the foot off.

Yup notched both side, stand has like a 45 degree forward angle now. With the stand its almost standing straight up. I have to double look sometime.

And it will really sink into ashphalt? I can't imagine a piece of metal going through ashphalt unless you put it in the exact same spot over and over again. Well I park my bike in my garage (concrete) and when I go to others houses, I usually park on the walkways or sidewalks. but i do park in parking lots at stores (ashphalt) so that concerns me. I don't have the extra cash to spend on a $200+ piece of metal that is usually chromed out bling status (not my taste). So I think I'll just take it to a muffler shop. I think it's $35/weld. So $35 and have him cut and reweld the foot on since I can't cut it. Ehh, oh well. Thanks for the help anyways guys! Appreciate it.

put the bike back to stock height until you can do it the right way. this path is nothing but heartache on the way.???

The kickstand is cast steel. It can only be welded correctly with the use of a furnace. The weld will not be structurely sound if it is welded by conventional methods. Welding cast metal with a stick, mig, or tig welder without properly pre heating and post cooling will be just as unstable as your "cut off the foot" plan. I can gaurantee you that a muffler shop is not set up to properly weld cast steel and they are not going to replace your beat up plastics when the weld decides to turn loose.

The kickstand is cast steel. It can only be welded correctly with the use of a furnace. The weld will not be structurely sound if it is
welded by conventional methods. Welding cast metal with a stick, mig, or tig welder without properly pre heating and post cooling will be just as unstable as your "cut off the foot" plan. I can gaurantee you that a muffler shop is not set up to properly weld cast steel and they are not going to replace your beat up plastics when the weld decides to turn loose.

Good to know. I'll find someone who can weld cast rather than steel or aluminum. thanks!

Yup notched both side, stand has like a 45 degree forward angle now. With the stand its almost standing straight up. I have to double look sometime.

And it will really sink into ashphalt? I can't imagine a piece of metal going through ashphalt unless you put it in the exact same spot over and over again. Well I park my bike in my garage (concrete) and when I go to others houses, I usually park on the walkways or sidewalks. but i do park in parking lots at stores (ashphalt) so that concerns me. I don't have the extra cash to spend on a $200+ piece of metal that is usually chromed out bling status (not my taste). So I think I'll just take it to a muffler shop. I think it's $35/weld. So $35 and have him cut and reweld the foot on since I can't cut it. Ehh, oh well. Thanks for the help anyways guys! Appreciate it.

Yes, it will sink. On a hot day the stock kickstand can sink into asphalt. The newer the asphalt, the softer it is too. When you can see the heat and smell the asphalt, pay attention. You have several hudred pounds of pressure on the tip of the stand in a very small area. With enough heat and time, it will begin to push into it. Depending on the temperature and the asphalt, it can happen very slowly, or very quickly. Concrete is completely different, it obviosly won't sink into that.

I cut the foot off took a little bit off the stand and welded it back on also heated and bent it out just a little bit to.:thumbsup:

I cut about 1 1/2" out of the middle of mine and then welded it back together. Once ground and painted it looks untouched. By cutting out of the middle the angle of the foot was unchanged and it has more of a surface to weld in the thicker metal in the middle of the piece.

Yes, it will sink. On a hot day the stock kickstand can sink into asphalt. The newer the asphalt, the softer it is too. When you can see the heat and smell the asphalt, pay attention. You have several hudred pounds of pressure on the tip of the stand in a very small area. With enough heat and time, it will begin to push into it. Depending on the temperature and the asphalt, it can happen very slowly, or very quickly. Concrete is completely different, it obviosly won't sink into that.

Yea i saw an example of this today, kind of. It's kind of like at an intersection where cars often brake, the asphalt eventually pushes up towards the sides creating grooves where tires touch most often.

So during winter, the asphalt still sinks, just not as fast right? And if I just stay on concrete until I get a suitable stand, would that be ok?

Yea i saw an example of this today, kind of. It's kind of like at an intersection where cars often brake, the asphalt eventually pushes up towards the sides creating grooves where tires touch most often.

So during winter, the asphalt still sinks, just not as fast right? And if I just stay on concrete until I get a suitable stand, would that be ok?

Asphalt has to be hot to soften enough for your stand to sink in. Winter, as in cold weather, makes this pretty unlikely.
What would concern me is the stand itself. My Busa has fallen 3 times off the stand(twice when I first got, and once moving it) my own carelessness and not realizing how prone they are to fall( I know, in gear, bars turned left)
Anyway, with/without the stand mod, I'de be more concerned without a foot on the end of the stand. Now you just have a tip instead of the foot on the end. It's that much more likely to fold and fall.
If your bike is lowered, have you considered having the stand cut an inch or so shorter? Then heated and the end turned out slightly, making a makeshift foot. That itself is not a great idea, but better than no foot at all.
A kickstand isn't cheap, but worth the money, considering the amount of money it's supporting.
When my bike has fallen it just got scratches, and the first time it broke the end of the clutch lever(good excuse to buy the shorties I wanted). Lots of folks have had more damage than me, and if a little scratches bother you, fairings aren't cheap to paint or buy. Do what you need to do to get by, but buy a good stand as soon as you can. It'll save you alot of time, money, and frustration in the future.

Yea heres what im working with...

bike almost stands upright on the stand...

IMG_20101128_175611.jpg

Yeah, that looks bad, it's just waiting to fall. Another thing to seriously consider is a lawsuit. It's unlikely, but if the wrong person or person's kid bumps that thing and it falls on them, look out. Now common sense would tell you that they need to pay for the damage to your bike, and rightfully so. A good lawyer however will have you paying them, even with a good stand, you'll get burned with that one.
It's gonna be when your bike falls, not if. The first fall of mine was caused by a very small dip in the concrete at the gas pump it was parked at. As I began to walk away, crash, and it was in gear. You'de have to be too careful with that not to worry about coming back to find it on it's side eventually.
Just bite the bullet and buy the stand, it'll pay for itself many times over, and I hope you never find out why.

Back