Cutting out.. Need help please

thduke1

Registered
Hey guys, I have an 03 and I have not changed anything on it in months, but here within the past couple day when it hits around the 6500-6800 rpm range the bike just loses all power. It's not like it is starving for fuel, but just completely stops all the forward power. It feels like the bike dies, but is still running. And it also throws a code every time , but when I turn the key off then back on it resets it. Is there a sensor I should check? I have never tried to read the code before so I am going to search on how to do that and I will let you know what I come up with. Thank you

I had similar problem. Bad gas with rust in it, clogged my fuel pump. Try cleaning it and draining tank is my guess.

You didnt buy gas in Cleveland Ga did you? :whistle:

IMG_9993.jpg

IMG_9992.jpg

I had this happen to me a few months ago. It had more rust in there than that. I replaced the filter, cleaned the tank, and all the lines. It never threw a code though, it just lost a little power at full throttle.

Stupid question... But how do I check the code? I searched for How to check codes and FI... Can't seem to find it.

If it gives the code, it's not fuel related. If it happens suddenly and without stuttering, this also points to a non-fuel related issue. My guess would be there is a bad connection somewhere affecting ECU/ignition circuit, and at a certain rpm the vibration causes the connection to open for a few milliseconds or longer which is enough to shut the engine. Because you are still in gear and the key is ON, the bike restarts right away as if you were push starting it - hence it appears that the engine is still running.

I would spend a couple of hours and clean all connections with a contact cleaner - which means opening every freaking connector on the bike, looking inside with a flashlight to make sure there is no oil or alike in there, spraying contact cleaner, letting it dry, stuffing with dialectric grease, and closing it for good. Use eye protection if you decide to do it.

That sounds like loads of fun lol. I think I am going to let it sit for a while before starting on that. Kinda aggravated at it right now, and I'm sure you all know... That is not the best time to work on anything!

I had a similar issue and thought it was the kickstand sensor initially so I replaced that and it went away for a little while. Thought I had fixed it, I ended up being wrong. After pulling out my hair, I brought it to my shop and my mechanic found a ground wire that was loose. After I got it back it has been 2 years and no issues.

Back