Cutting off the mudflap

Scooter

Registered
I want to get a clean (factory) look from my soon-to-be-cut rear mudflap. Can someone share some ideas? Dremel? What tip(s)?

I want to keep the turn signals and license plate and trunk, but it STILL needs some triming...

One tip would be using clay .  Roll up a thin piece of clay and  place on your mudflap going from one side of the undertail to the other. This will give you a visual and the oppurtunity to physically manipulate the pattern or template of what you would like to remove or leave. Once your satisfied with how it looks use a marker to draw an outline of the clay pattern. Next, remove the clay and hack away with a hacksaw or dremel using a cutoff wheel. Next, sand the edge where you just cutted with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth for that finish lQQk.

There are many other ways to do this mod but this will probably be one of the easiest
Just my .02
Ty

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119113700 -->

I used the dremel to cut it off. Be sure to mark the area real good. I didn't worry about making a mistake, since I was planning on putting a new Undertail.. and I didn't lose hardly any Trunk space.
Check out this instruction by this other user:

busa_with_tag_1.JPG

Heres mine, but there was alittle more to it than just cutting.
post-6-87958-dsc02087.jpg

post-6-88041-dsc02084.jpg

With this new mod I'm now able to hold anything equivilant to 7 bottles of oil as you can see.
post-6-85868-dsc02102.jpg

Double post !

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119120166 -->

I used a medium sized chainsaw (24" Echo). Got the urge while I was doing a little tree trimming. Did I mention that really dislike the stock rear fender? Got a little carried away, had to construct a new rear wall for the trunk out of aluminum that I pilfered from a local aircraft manufacturer. Oh well, it turned ok I guess.

Emu_Busa_002.jpg

heat the plastic up with a blow dryer or equivalent first, then use dremel for main cuts, clean up lines with a razor blade and/or sandpaper.

I used a razor blade knife. 5 minutes done
+1

Get a sharp Utility razor blade and cut it.

Then take some sand paper and make it nice-nice.

And Read BT's post. I didn't click on it, but I know when I cut mine I read the 2 threads from like 03' on cutting mudflaps started by BT.

There was a killer suggestion in there to flippthe tag bracket upside down when remounting, and I'm glad I listened!

get a big a@@ Sawzall, a dremel tool...ummmmm, duct tape! no. no duct tape...uhhh, a jig saw...
tounge.gif

I'm just being fascetious, bro, of course. Beyond a dremel tool, I would have had no idea.
blush.gif

Daym Rythem, you wouldn,t overwhelm a newbe would ya.    He just asked for the SIMPLE flap removel, and you gave him the advanced PLAYA method.  
 Posted: June 18 2005,05:50   [/QUOTE]

Nah, I wouldnt want the new recruit blowing any  fuses  upstairs .......this early in the game .  
tounge.gif
 This was my second mind blowing post to his thread . Many techniques can be used for this mod but with clay you can add your own flava to it and give it a lil twist settn it off proper.

My first post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One tip would be using clay .  Roll up a thin piece of clay and  place on your mudflap going from one side of the undertail to the other. This will give you a visual and the oppurtunity to physically manipulate the pattern or template of what you would like to remove or leave. Once your satisfied with how it looks use a marker to draw an outline of the clay pattern. Next, remove the clay and hack away with a hacksaw or dremel using a cutoff wheel. Next, sand the edge where you just cutted with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth for that finish lQQk.

There are many other ways to do this mod but this will probably be one of the easiest
Just my .02
Ty [/QUOTE]

Back