cutting fairings??

02bluebusa

Registered
Can anyone tell me how they or what they used to cut the fairings so straight? Like around the clutch cover, or for frames sliders, etc. I see it all the time and it looks like it came that way stock

Holesaw and a fine file to clean up the edges for frame sliders.
Dremel for other cuts.

Do your rough cuts inside the lines and use a file or dremal wiht a sanding drum to slowly work into the line. finish with some sandpaper

I just use a drill and a coping saw or just a hacksaw blade, depending on the area that I need to cut.

for frame sliders drill a hole and use a screwdriver to locate the panel...them open it up to fit the slider...for cleaning up the edge like the other guys said...file or scrape the edge with a razor blade to prevent the paint from chipping off...also you can use a clear nail polish to somewhat seal the raw edge. A roto zip tool is great for cutting plastic but be careful how you use it...if it runs or walks it will be a bigger hole than you desire. Tape or a grease pen also help mark the cut out area...

For my frame slider holes, I used a nice sharp hole saw along with plenty of masking tape plus a extra fine file to knock the edges down a little. I still need to make the holes slightly bigger though. No hurry.....

Dremel with a cut-off wheel, tape the area, measure carefully, cut gradually, go slow.

I made grommets for mine and it came out fine. I took 1/4" black fuel line, cut it to length, then slit down the middle length wise and slipped it over the cut plastic. Worked great.

Back