Cut-outs only in 2nd gear

marcair

Registered
I have a 2003 motor in a Honda Beat car as of 2010. All has been well until recently. The engine will briefly cut-out in 2nd gear during acceleration (mild or aggressive) between 3-5k. Cut-outs are abrupt and lasts for a second. The cut-out is not always in 2nd, but very frequently. Other than this cut-out, it runs fine. No bad codes.

One clue: the gear position sensor is not reading the proper voltage of 2.4v in 2nd and 3.7v 4th. Appears to short out to read 5.7v which is the same as 5.7v in neutral.

The motor is controlled with the Power Commander V and Autotune. As I mentioned, the engine is operating properly except for the cut-outs in 2nd.

I will be replacing the gear position sensor next week. Are the 2 issues related? What else could be the cause?

On the side: the ‘busa is linked to a Ragemotorsport gear drive unit and a Quaife Diff.

I think he means engine dies for a second. He doesn't seem to mean that it pops out of 2nd gear. So, it would point to electrical issue, and not mechanical.

How often does this happen? Does it happen more and more often as time goes by? Is there a certain rpm at which it happens?

If GPS was the problem, it wouldn't be intermittent, right?

The cut-out is appears to be electrical as though the motor shuts down for a split second. Normally occurs at approx. 5k but can be at 3 or 4k only in 2nd. It doesn't happen every upshift, but can happen twice in the same gear at approx. 1000k between cutouts.

Trust me it is a bad second gear!
The cut-out is appears to be electrical as though the motor shuts down for a split second. Normally occurs at approx. 5k but can be at 3 or 4k only in 2nd. It doesn't happen every upshift, but can happen twice in the same gear at approx. 1000k between cutouts.

Yep, bad second gear. The gears don't engage properly so they skip a tooth at a time, the quick backlash hit as the gear disengages then catches again can make it feel like an electrical cut out.

2 issues:
1.) Currently in Greensboro, NC. Anybody care to offer a suitable shop other than a Dealer?
2.) The motor is installed mid-engine in a car replacing the engine in the graphic. Can the 2nd gear (along with assoc parts) be replaced from the bottom. I only have 3/8 inch clearance on the left side and 12 inch on the right. I just had the motor out to install a higher torque crank and lower 1st gear.

CUTAWAY VIEW.jpg

Motor must come out, the cases have to be split!
There is no other way.
Now the smart thing to do, while this is being done, is to sent the tranny to Fast By Gast, and have it undercut.
If you just replace the gears, it will happen again!, Especially since your are hauling a car around, and not a bike, the extra weight doe snot help the situation!

I have a 2003 motor in a Honda Beat car as of 2010. All has been well until recently. The engine will briefly cut-out in 2nd gear during acceleration (mild or aggressive) between 3-5k. Cut-outs are abrupt and lasts for a second. The cut-out is not always in 2nd, but very frequently. Other than this cut-out, it runs fine. No bad codes.

One clue: the gear position sensor is not reading the proper voltage of 2.4v in 2nd and 3.7v 4th. Appears to short out to read 5.7v which is the same as 5.7v in neutral.

The motor is controlled with the Power Commander V and Autotune. As I mentioned, the engine is operating properly except for the cut-outs in 2nd.

I will be replacing the gear position sensor next week. Are the 2 issues related? What else could be the cause?

On the side: the ‘busa is linked to a Ragemotorsport gear drive unit and a Quaife Diff.
I am having the exact same problem but in 4th gear...I have tried most things...its now with my mechanic who thinks it's the GPS ...We will change it in a few days...if it works I will let you know...The reading is like you have hit the kill switch..

Back