Custom Workstand

Dr Geekenstein

Registered
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts

New to this forum, and also new owner of a 40th 'Busa

I am the type that hates to take any of my vehicles to the shop for regular maintenance or repairs. Of course when it goes beyond my capabilities, to the shop they go
sad.gif

I want to build a custom workstand that is nice and easy to use, and sturdy enough to hold the bike while my grandson climbs all over the bike while on the stand. (not that that will happen re: Grandson)

So my plan is to use the swingarm hole that goes all the way through the bike. It looks like approx 3/4 inch (not a metric man, sorry) and would like to use a solid rod to go through the hole, then have some sort of frame that will attach to the rod and hold the bike vertical and solid. I am sure it is well behind C/G but it will raise the rear of the bike, and could come up with some sort of front jack system to get the front wheel off the ground should I need to.

I am an Aerospace Engineer, also a tooling expert in aerospace, and have a welder at home to make the frame myself (read, cheap)

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions
rock.gif
?

Just kicking the idea around for now, hopefully it will be some time before I really need it !!

Thanks for reading =)

Peace

It sounds like a good idea but I think a rear frame jack like the "Pitbull" will do what you want and will be more universal in nature. Good Luck in any case and welcome to the Board !

go to a shop w/ your sketch pad and tape measure and then go for it.... 7075-t6 would work if ya can get the welds right. Stainless is heavy but effective. Got a stick/MIG/TIG (?) welder...

firedevil.gif

When I was at the superbike races in Laguna Seca Kawasaki used a similar "frame" stand to lift Bostrom's bike, instead of the typical swing arm stand - seems like a good idea

Kent

Keep in mind it'll kind of make it tough to remove the wheels!
I think he means the swingarm mount pivot hole. Right? Interesting idea if you could incorporate a front mount somewhere you probably have something there. The problem I see is that you are going to have to hold the bike upright then try and slide the lift rod through. Which could be very difficult if you dont have the rod aligned perfectly. I would just get a pitbull rear stand ($150 or less) and save yourself the hassle. The swingarm has mounts for the rear stand spools (8mm) and once on those the bike is very stable. You can also buy the front stand add on for around $80 that will allow you to raise the front off the ground.

Good luck either way, if you do build the beast take some pictures.
smile.gif

I have both the front and rear Suzuki PRO stands. I paid $90.00 each for them and they work great. they are very stable and fit the bike well. It is relatively easy to do most service with them.

Usually by the time you're done saving money by designing your own stuff, you wind up spending more, plus if you screw soimething up you could loose 10K in motorcycle.

Johncal

Keep in mind it'll kind of make it tough to remove the wheels!
Not the case, with the holding rod going perpindicular the the bike, and in front of rear wheel and way behind front.

Only thing that concerns me is CG ??

N E 1 know approx where CG is on a 'Busa ?
No idea where CG is but I was lookin' at my girl and thinkin' 'bout yer idea. How about a rod thru the pivot point where you're talkin' about and a strap of some kind to the triple tree area? You'd have to use some sort of overhead lift/hoist to do that but I think it'd be nice for wheel/tire removal/replacement and such.

Have you thought any more about this? Keep me posted if you work on this project. :cool:

The CG is above the swing arm pivot so it would try to flip on its back if you lifted there with a soft strap. I do use soft straps to lift the front by the triple clamps. The triple clamps are above the CG so it is stable. I have a engine hoist/cherry picker to do the lifting. It works great if the rear is on the pitbull. Both tires can come off at the same time and the remainder of the bike is solid. No wories of it falling. If you want to use the "pin thru the swingarm pivot" system, it needs to be a solid bracket mounted rigidly to a wide base to keep the bike stable.

Back