Custom electric shifter

AsleepAtTheTree

Registered
Has anyone ever tried to build their own electric shifter kit, maybe similar to a pingel?

My guess basic parts needed would be as follows
*solenoid actuator
*shift linkage
* mounting brackets
*kill box
*wiring and accessories

I know its much easier to jus "buy" a kit but who loves anything with a motor and doesn't like some custom initiative!!!

Hmmm thats interesting does your buddy use this forum??? At least it worked I guess, i admire the "hard way" guys, usually their the first to accomplish new things...interested in the details of his build

Last edited:
@ Mr.brown I must agree with you lol no need to reinvent the wheel lol sounds like to me he was trying too hard

@fallenarch touche'...fuel/ign kill boxes would be a better alternative to an auto blipper correct
Unless thats what u meant, in that case again, no need to reinvent the wheel as mentioned huh

I Jus figured given the amount of users here that somebody may have made a thread at an attempt
Whether costly or not, interested in their route of attack

Nothing beats the pingel in my book, jus costly compared to an air shifter setup, which in my opinion takes up too much room and more complicated to setup and maintain for the weekend strip street rider

Last edited:
An auto blipper matches rpm as you downshift the bike so the down shifts are as smooth as the upshifts. Don't know how that would work on a manual throttle bike. That would be a tricky effort. So tricky I would probably look at retro fitting a wireless throttle from some other bike rather than rig something manual.

There is not much to an upshifter. You can buy the same strain gauge used by many manufacturers in electronic supply houses for $20-$30. When the gauge senses a shift you cut the spark and fuel for a specified amount of time. So ordinary it's not worth re-engineering just to say you DIY IMHO.

here is also the possibility of damage to the gear box. Even some retro fit QS have been accused of damaging the gear box over time if the cut durations are not set correctly. You can upshift a stock bike without the clutch. You have to lift the shifter a bit to set the gear than click it into place. It works and feels pretty clean. Some say no some say no problem.

But I'm not the expert. Maybe someone will weigh in soon.

An auto blipper matches rpm as you downshift the bike so the down shifts are as smooth as the upshifts. Don't know how that would work on a manual throttle bike. That would be a tricky effort. So tricky I would probably look at retro fitting a wireless throttle from some other bike rather than rig something manual.

There is not much to an upshifter. You can buy the same strain gauge used by many manufacturers in electronic supply houses for $20-$30. When the gauge senses a shift you cut the spark and fuel for a specified amount of time. So ordinary it's not worth re-engineering just to say you DIY IMHO.

here is also the possibility of damage to the gear box. Even some retro fit QS have been accused of damaging the gear box over time if the cut durations are not set correctly. You can upshift a stock bike without the clutch. You have to lift the shifter a bit to set the gear than click it into place. It works and feels pretty clean. Some say no some say no problem.

But I'm not the expert. Maybe someone will weigh in soon.
You can shift a bike without using the clutch by either preloading the shifter and blipping the throttle, or shifting as you blip it. Takes a little coordination, but you can up and down shift this way. Just have to remember to get off the shifter after and preload it again. The rev limiter will also shift the bike in this way if you preload.
Also not an expert, but I've ridden many bikes this way for many years with zero issue. Just like a car or big truck, you can shift without a clutch, you just need to have a "feel" for it. The transmission will tell you when it's ready to shift, you can't force it.

Has anyone ever tried to build their own electric shifter kit, maybe similar to a pingel?

My guess basic parts needed would be as follows
*solenoid actuator
*shift linkage
* mounting brackets
*kill box
*wiring and accessories

I know its much easier to jus "buy" a kit but who loves anything with a motor and doesn't like some custom initiative!!!
For two hundred bucks you can get one from schnitz racing made by Mrs p. You can shift every gear at a different RPM and adjust the micro shift. An automatic bike in the quarter mile no Miss shifting no redline no rev limiter LOL

For two hundred bucks you can get one from schnitz racing made by Mrs p. You can shift every gear at a different RPM and adjust the micro shift. An automatic bike in the quarter mile no Miss shifting no redline no rev limiter LOL
Did you read the whole thread?:lol:

Did you mean about building your own electric shifter? If so I apologize to you, it's just that I was on that all day today looking for an automatic electric shifter so I have the answers but you are correct in the parts that you would require.

Did you mean about building your own electric shifter? If so I apologize to you, it's just that I was on that all day today looking for an automatic electric shifter so I have the answers but you are correct in the parts that you would require.
No need to apologise, I just think it's funny you say that. Carry on....

Back