Cush drive

OB_JPWoloch

Registered
Finally going to get my recall work done locally. Service dept. said they would order my parts. Could take 3 to 4 weeks, though. If the Beast is going to be recalled for the cush drive, should I go ahead and have him order one? Someone posted that the Busa more than likely will get this recall. Any truth to this?

I don't know about recall, but Suzuki designed cush drives for 180 crank HP and somewhat normal riding. Airbox mod, pipe, remapping and other stuff combined with hard launches from Brock Davidson clutch mod, wheelies and/ or rolling burnouts were not in the Suzuki designers plans. See Dymag, PM, and other aftermarket wheel folks for fixes.

While swapping tires, I also noticed surface blems on the inside rear hub that I feared were cracks. Sounds like it's just poor casting and finishing, kinda like those crude welds on the frame rails.... Let's hope so.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my wheel damper, "kush drive" was repalced under waranty 12-23-99; still trying to get the rear sprockett hub, mine has what I call fractures, Suzuki calls cosmetic.
Alan

The cush drive hub on the busa is the same as the gsxr750. I have never seen one fail, all have surface blem's, none were cracks. (I'm sure someone can find one that failed, but don't hold your breath while searching)

If you are going with > 170 hp, I would suggest a new set of wheels with aftermarket cush drive assys. The stock rubber dampners are not going to last with big hp.

John Smith... et al... There was a thread a while back about cush drive irregularities. Do a search on Cush Drive. It turns out they all have 'em. I think Vegasdude took his in to a dealer and they looked at a brand new one with 0 miles and saw the same thing. I saw casting flaws on a new '99 a while back. It's definitely cosmetic.

yep, its true saw some external blemishes on my cush drive. I took it in and had it checked and it was surface blemishes only.I walked into the showroom and there was a new busa. I checked the cush drive on it and it had the same blemishes as mine. I then advised the service manager and he inspected it also and confirmed that it was the same as mine.................

I took my wheel off today to change the tire and noticed that the little rubber pieces for the cush drive were torn almost like a razor blade had cut them. Is this the same problem that all of you are talking about??

Also will the dealer replpace these parts for free??

First to Tinhead,Suzuki did not design the Cushdrive for the Busa to handle 180 horsepower.The Cush drive in the Busa is the same that is in the TL1000S,TL1000R,96-99 GSXR 750s,97-2000 GSXR 600s.My bike is totally stock and I need to have my Cushdrive replaced.

Daddy Busa - the rubber dampner wears out with some use - depending on your riding style.

I've got over 9,000 on my busa and it's still in great shape, however, I used to go through one about every 6,000 on my 91 ZX-11.

gixxer1300r:
I didn't mean to imply that I have some 'inside' in design department of Suzuki, only that stock cush drive is near it's limits on a stock busa. Rest of posts seem to confirm.

Back