Cush Drive Replacements

CorrodedAlien

Registered
I remember reading someone liked these:

http://www.boostbysmith.com/cush.html

Does anyone have any longevity experience with them or would I be better off with OEM's?

Thanks.

OBTW - +30k miles on the pumpkin with original cush's

866038393_l.jpg

Not to hijack the thread, but when would you know it is time to replace them? And then if you know it is time to replace them, I pose the original question from Correded Alien.???

This is best answered by a Racer / Drag Racer. I have not needed to replace them on my last bike, the '91 ST1100, since it was shaft drive. I put 100k miles on it with the original spline...

From Wikipedia:
"A cush drive is a part of a motorcycle drive-train that is designed to reduce stress from engine torque damaging other components during gear or throttle changes. A common design used by Honda, in particular on the VTR 1000F Superhawk is made of three major pieces: the wheel, the sprocket assembly, and the rubber damper. The wheel and the sprocket assembly fit together with five sections much like two hands woven together. In between the contact of the two assembly are rubber blocks. This makes it so the wheel and the sprocket have a dampening layer between them, and the rubber blocks reduce wear and fatigue of the metal assemblies.

When the rubber damper becomes old and hardens, or wears out, the changes in load on the drive chain instigated by changes in throttle position or changing gear can cause small inconsistencies with power delivery to the wheel. Loads particularly on the drive chain can be massively increased in these conditions, increasing the risk of breakage or of contact with the swinging arm resulting in damage. Perhaps more pointedly the sudden transfer of force to the rear tyre can cause momentary loss of traction (lock or spin) resulting in small changes of direction or at worst total loss of control."

Written by a Brit from the looks of it.

Here is what the ones from BoostbySmith look like:
08cush2.jpg

Sorry about the picture size...

They should be inspected whenever the rear tire is off.

Last edited:
I ran them in my back wheel for I don't know how long. I can't even remember what year I bout them. They never got loose. :thumbsup:

When the cush rubber is new, you can't get any movement fore & aft from your sprocket. If you can get any amount of movement back and forth on the sprocket, I'd say it's time to change them. They are very cheap and easy to install.

I have always used OEM and they work just fine. I'm not sure what the aftermarket ones do that the OEM ones don't?

never tried the cush drives... but greg from boost gives great service and superfast shipping! the item i purchased was very well made. havent installed it yet, but a satisfied buyer I am for sure!

the aftermarket ones outlast the stockers, which depending on how you use the bike may or may not be beneficial. if you got 30,000 miles out of stockers you probably aren't beating the crap out of them and stockers might be fine as replacements.

Some guys who drag race or who have huge hp etc go through stock ones on a very regular basis, and these have worked out well for them.

I have yet to have someone buy a 2nd set for the same bike, and i have sold a couple hundred of KPS blue ones (not easily obtainable now) and the red sensei ones.

Greg

Greg,
I would try a set of yours. I guess I've really never thought about aftermarket rubbers. We don't drag race but we do road race and we replace them every year whether they need it or not. The problem with a worn cush drive when racing is sloppy throttle control.

OEM ones are so cheap I never felt a need to look for something that would last longer.

What the price for a set of the aftermarket ones? Maybe we'll give them a shot?

Hey Steven. I can meet you somewhere if you want to check those out before I install them. They are much more firm than the stock rubber.

while the bike is on the ground in nuetral i have grabbed the sprocket and it turns 1-2 teeth before firming up... does that mean time to replace?

chain and sprockets getting replaced next paycheck... but wondered about the cush too

That is my plan... Maybe Smith will give us a discount...?

I'm planning on going to an 18/38 setup for the commute factor with the Avon Storms...

Flames... Comments... ???? :beerchug:

Back