Curious About Connect Rods

Smokem10

Registered
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum but had my bike since 2005. I have a 05 hayabusa with a stage 1 velocity turbo. Stock inner except for turbo pistons (lower compression) and spacer gasket. My gauge is reading 24 lbs and I ride the bike any day it doesn't rain. Just curious as to how long will my stock rods hold up. I've done the crank twice already but haven't had any major problems since 2010 and she's still running nitrous bikes down like they weren't even spraying.

should last fine if you take care of it. But like anything else, with beating comes money spent eventually.,

Yeah I do take care of it. It sits up most of the year because I work offshore. And she don't get abused unless I'm bout to race for money. Every now and then I run C16 in it to keep it feeing good and cleaning the injectors.

Stock rods at 24 lbs? I'm not a builder, but what I've heard is about 350 hp is as much as stocks rods can safely handle. One problem is that you won't get any warning signs until you have major problems. Often times the weakness shows up at the track, when you get tons of traction and the hp is fully applied. On the street the tire usually breaks loose before the rods go.

Yeah turbojonny that's what I've heard as well. 350 hp on stock rods. I have the meth/water kit just haven't put it on because of the stock rods... which rods do you recommend??

I just put Carillos in mine. Had Wossners for 25k worth of 400 hp. Seems like more folks like Carillos? Still have my Wossners, one big end needs resizing according to APE, but they held up to the end.

Smithbusa (Greg Smith) ran 356hp on his stock rods. Of course, who knows if 357hp would have meant boom. It could set you back 5k and a lot of riding time to find out.

We ran our shop bike for 20k miles at 340hp on stock pistons and rods. 350hp is the absolute max we suggest, and don't push customers bikes past 320 on stock rods.

Rods are the real weak points in the engine, but when having to do pistons OR rods, we suggest rods as forged pistons generally weigh more and add even more stress to the rod.

You said you run c16 "every now and again"... you're running pump gas on 93 octane with 24psi non intercooled on a stage 1 set up?

Assuming the bike is using an fmu the only thing I'm thinking keeping your engine alive at that boost level is dumping astronomical amounts of fuel in that's absolutely killing the power and keeping things cool enough you haven't melted something yet... or at least that you know of.

How far away from Houston from you? I'd be really interested to see what this bike is really making and why it's keeping together.

I remember my old stage 1 99 made above 100psi fuel pressure at 18 lbs. It was just about choked out. 10.4-10.8 a/f! Still, if I ever tried that on pump it would have at least blown a head gasket. Im betting he's only running 24 lbs on c16.

POWERHOUSE recommends no more than 325 rwhp on stock rods. Stock rods will usually fail around 380, ask me how I know. As far as any debate between Wossner and Carrillo rods, I recommend Carrillos. You can run Wossners in a Gen 1, but I would never run Wossners in a Gen 2. When you make a side-by-side comparison, you will see why. Keep in mind there are people out there running successfully with Crowers, and other brands. How much hp and how hard you plan on riding should dictate your decision when you purchase parts. If you build your house on sand, don't bitch when the storm hits.

At boosted cycle perf, im about 5 to 6 hrs away from Houston. I come that way pretty often when I'm not offshore. Yes it's stage 1 velocity turbo. It was tuned on 93 pump gas. I don't remember the exact number it put out but it was 290 ish. Yes I'm using a fmu, the ecu is flashed. I have wossner low compression pistons, and cosmetic spacer gasket, undercut transmission. Everything else is stock. I change the oil frequently because it sits longer then I get to ride it. I've had a compression test done it last year around May and it checked out good. Like I said, if it's not raining then I'm riding. I can ride a passenger anytime and still stop at a dead stop and run a race.

IMG_8391.JPG

At boosted cycle perf I wouldn't mind putting it on a dyno to make sure everything is still in order on the inside. I'll be sure to keep in contact with you so when I do travel to Houston we can do that.

I would like to route my gauges to sit right on top of the cluster, any of you guys wouldn't happen to have one of those brackets or could get your hands on one???

Tiger Racing makes thise brackets. They're pretty cheap too. 2 guages will mount up and only obscure the speedometer digits below 30 mph...and no Hayabusa owner really cares too much about below 30mph...lol.

Lol... yeah right about that part.... but I seen a turbo bike with the gauges literally above the cluster, right under the wind screen... that's he one I would like to have... but I already have the tiger bracket, just haven't put it on yet.

At boosted cycle perf, im about 5 to 6 hrs away from Houston. I come that way pretty often when I'm not offshore. Yes it's stage 1 velocity turbo. It was tuned on 93 pump gas. I don't remember the exact number it put out but it was 290 ish. Yes I'm using a fmu, the ecu is flashed. I have wossner low compression pistons, and cosmetic spacer gasket, undercut transmission. Everything else is stock. I change the oil frequently because it sits longer then I get to ride it. I've had a compression test done it last year around May and it checked out good. Like I said, if it's not raining then I'm riding. I can ride a passenger anytime and still stop at a dead stop and run a race.

View attachment 1570935

24psi on will make roughly 420ish hp on most kits.

So if you really are making 24psi and only making 290hp you have other things going on. You should be able to make that much power on 10psi. That would also mean your boosted fuel pressure is way over 100psi in order to fuel for that much boost with stock injectors, and even s2k injectors.

For that engine to live on that much boost and 93 octane it would have to be literally just dumping fuel in it which would make sense if your boost is actually at 24psi. To put things in to prospective, at 24psi that's we we switch over from 93 to c16 on bikes with INNERCOOLERS as 24psi is the max on pump gas.

Back