Cupping

Serioulsly IG, you want to help my do my suspension set-up? The last time I tried to do an oil change it cost me $400.00. Really.

IG and Friends,
I took my bike over to Frank at Powerhouse and he put 40psi in the cupping front tire. Its is about 70% used and may last the rest of the season. He put 38psi in the rear which is starting to square after 2,800 miles but has plenty of rubber. That was about two weeks ago and they both seem to have a little better rounder profile than when I first posted. I've put about 1000 miles on them with a good amount of cornering. These are Dunlap Q2s.
Washington Cycles in NJ did my suspension set-up last year and since the bike corners well and they have records of all the settings, I'm going to take it back to them and let them reset it for my forty pound weight loss. Thanks for all the input.

Tuff, you are confused. But you are right - I didn't phrase it correctly. I didn't mean the front will literally have more traction. I meant I prefer to shift the bias in favor of the front having more traction that it would with higher pressure. Of all the people, you should know what I meant. So, once again - not bumping the rear pressure, but dropping the pressure on the front a bit.

And having high pressure on the front will eat the middle of the tire at the higher rate because the same weight is sitting on the contact patch of the smaller size. And yes, the tire will run cooler with higher pressure, but who cares. And for this exact reason I indicated that during cold season I drop tire pressure on both tires by a few psi - so they generate more heat during cold season.

Quite a stickler for the truth, but not for the spirit of the conversation.

And BTW it's tire "wear" and not "ware". See, I would've never mentioned because I understood what you meant, but I am mentioning it to support the spirit of your conversation... Very productive conversation.... Now, let's see what was the original issue... Ah, we are way past that. LOL Just shaking my head.

Switching to something positive...Did I mention in the past 15 min how much I love my turbo? Those short bursts to somewhere under 200 within a few seconds. No amount of cornering and knee dragging can replace that. Sorry Nic, LOL.. Your time will come.

One thing is for certain, you are much better at spelling than you are at tire management!

Oh, and did I mention that straight line speed is easy and boring! :dunno: But, if twisting the throttle and hanging on is the extent of your skills I wouldn't expect you to know the difference.

I like to articulate myself clearly, and yes this includes correct spelling. I like cornering, have done multiple track days, and love back roads. Since recently, I also like to experience acceleration - like I've never experienced before. And no, straight line speed is not boring once in a while. And I see nothing wrong with that. I also like riding in general - for the fun of it.

I also realize that different people love different types of riding, and therefore I am not trying to dismiss or diminish their way of riding. I also like to give others constructive advice where I feel others can benefit, and then follow up with them - sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, but I sincerely try based on my knowledge and experience, and always happy and satisfied if someone figures out their problem.

However, I don't like to consistently criticize others - because this would be useless and counter productive exercise. I don't like to throw out a useless phrase or two just to show how knowledgeable I am, but without providing helpful explanation, and without following up... But, that's just me...

Reactions: Zee
IG I'm glad to see you post up to explain your gentle nature and willingness to help others. That's not a characteristic that seems to be common place in society anymore.

I however, don't candy coat my posts to make you feel better. Criticism can and is a constructive tool. As an instructor it's my job to get you to engage and when I can't make eye contact criticism becomes an excellent tool and I seem to do it well because you respond each and every time. If you can't take criticism your best bet is don't read my posts. And,,,,,, I don't criticize if I can't back up my criticism. Your posts have convinced me that Tire Management is not your bag and that's okay. Like most, when you are criticized you become defensive and that's okay too. At least you respond and paying attention and may very well learn something. Ben Franklin said it best "He who teaches himself hath a fool for a master"!

As well, you can criticize, chastise, abuse, curse, call me names and it's all good with me. Its results that counts and if I can educate you on just one small item, I'm happy! :beerchug:

IG,
You're a great guy and a good friend. You've saved me hundreds of dollars in repair coats by working on my bike and coaching me to do the same. Cheers!

Tuff, for so many years reading your posts, I see little education, but mostly criticism. You like to throw in terms, like "Tire Management", but say little about actual tire management, let alone elaborate on it, or help with a specific issue, follow through, etc. I like to learn, and always appreciate a well articulated explanation - which is absent most of the time in your responses. Take a peek at my long posts, and see how much detail I usually provide when trying to convey a point. I don't throw useless criticism at someone without a detailed explanation, or a suggestion. I am sure you are probably the most knowledgeable rider on this forum, but you know what - if you don't actually share your knowledge, but only pointing out that you possess the knowledge - it is as good as no knowledge at all, and is also perceived by others as being cocky and disrespectful.

I will clarify it for you: over a number of years based on the reaction of others as well as on my personal experience with you on this board, I can clearly see that your criticism is useless most of the time - meaning, the one who you criticize cannot make use of it. This thread is no exception - you spent so many words on explaining your position, but very few words to actually help with an issue at hand.

It's like you are holding off all your knowledge for whatever reason. Maybe you are burning off all your energy on your students at the track, maybe you are frustrated how little other riders know - whatever the reason is, you know it better. BTW, my responses here are the same responses I would give when replying in person because I truly appreciate human interaction and think cursing and bashing someone only provokes negativity and accomplishes nothing positive.

What is your specific suggestion to address the original question in this thread? And how would one "manage" their tires when one just wants to go ride and rip and have fun? Please enlighten all of us because it seems I am completely clueless on the subject of "Tire Management" (gentle sarcasm intended, LOL)

Oh, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to practice my writing skills (no sarcasm). I need them.

Nic, thank you for your kind words! And sorry for turning your thread onto the wrong tracks. Just a few more back and forth, and it will be over... Don't worry - in the end, we will all have beer and go riding.... no, the other way around - we will all go riding and then come back and have a beer.

Reactions: Zee
Back