Crunchy tranny and turn signals...

bjewell

Registered
The tranny on Big Red - my new Bakkahayai-Busa has a few false neutrals and is pretty crunchy to shift. Do they smooth out? Only has a couple hundred miles on it.

The turn signal switch -- which I already hate -- is also crunchy. I keep forgetting to turn it off, plus it is a hard reach. Harley's type is much better for me.

Still... love Big Red!

The easiest way to eliminate false neutrals is to do some ankle lifts and shift like you mean it.

Don't be gentle or lazy with it.
beerchug.gif

As far as the signal, I'm not sure what "crunchy" is. I haven't ridden many Harleys.

(bjewell @ Aug. 15 2007,15:27) The tranny on Big Red - my new Bakkahayai-Busa has a few false neutrals and is pretty crunchy to shift.  Do they smooth out?  Only has a couple hundred miles on it.

The turn signal switch -- which I already hate -- is also crunchy.  I keep forgetting to turn it off, plus it is a hard reach.  Harley's type is much better for me.

Still... love Big Red!
Its normal...both things will get better over time
wink.gif

(The Big Red One @ Aug. 15 2007,08:40)
(bjewell @ Aug. 15 2007,15:27) The tranny on Big Red - my new Bakkahayai-Busa has a few false neutrals and is pretty crunchy to shift.  Do they smooth out?  Only has a couple hundred miles on it.

The turn signal switch -- which I already hate -- is also crunchy.  I keep forgetting to turn it off, plus it is a hard reach.  Harley's type is much better for me.

Still... love Big Red!
Its normal...both things will get better over time  
wink.gif
Well, it certainly wasn't normal on my 06 LE. I've run Amsoil synth since breakin and it shifts just fine. Was a little 'stiff' brand new but not anymore, and it was never 'crunchy'. My blinkers work very well too, not 'crunchy' one bit. Good luck!

I changed to synthetic oil @ 3k and it smoothed out the clutch without slippage (Mobil 1 - Walmart). Still had the occasionaly false neutral until I adjusted my lever down a bit to fit my ride style.

With an aftermarket tail, my LED's are hard to see in the daytime. Got me use to throwing the arm out like my old shovelhead days. Rarely use the OEM blinkers.

GL.

The tranny will improve mainly with your skills, check the fluid in the turn signals, sounds low.
biggrin.gif

I found a couple of things that I think helped me.

I've tried a bunch of oils. I'ld run them  4-5 changes and try something else. a few semi-blends in the beginning but full syn mostly. I have settled on Respol. Pricey, and it might be just me but I like it. Feels smoother, Quieter, and the clutch works better then with some others IMO.

Shift lever position is very important. You may have to play with the position alittle. Get it so it is a natural fit for the boots you wear, size of your foot, and angle of your foot on the peg with your riding position. It's one of the 1st things I do on a new bike I get.

Last I don't use the clutch up-shifting very often and I use very positive pressure. I don't drive it up into gear but very firm. I found out a long time ago I would miss shifts sometimes and thought most of it was me not paying attention, which it was some. But after getting the pos. correct for me and changing how I shift I can't remember the last time I had a problem. Never really had any problem on the busa. Once maybe twice but it was all me being sloppy, not the bike.

Just a thought, give her a try.

I run regular oil for now and I have only missed 5-6 shift once. Have read here many times that you have to shift hard for that one and I do.

+1 on adjusting the shift lever for your foot size, boot size, riding position, etc..
That is the first thing I do is adjust the shift lever and rear brake lever and adjust the brake light switch so that it is sensitive and I can just touch the rear brake to awake drivers behind me I'm slowing down. Alot of riders downshift aways down and never use tehre brakes until the last minute giving the driver behind them guessing if they are slowing down or what?

I am planning on switching to synthetic though.

Never had problems with my 06 tranny, and I have NO IDEA what a crunchy turn signal is  
SHOCKED.gif
. And I can't think of easier turn signals to turn off. I just wish they went off automaticly after a certain time  
wink.gif

(bjewell @ Aug. 15 2007,18:27) The turn signal switch -- which I already hate -- is also crunchy.  I keep forgetting to turn it off, plus it is a hard reach.  Harley's type is much better for me.
There you have it! The only thing better on a Harley is the freakin' TURN SIGNAL SWITCH!!!  
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

The Busa shifts more like a truck than a sport bike, but its built to handle all the torque the Busa generates. Once you get used to it, you'll hit the gears when you shift. Try using this stuff for the turn signals, it'll fix them right up.

BlinkFluid.jpg

I think I need to adjust the shifter also, is this fairly easy to do ?

When clutchless shifting, it's so smooth, but heard it wasn't good for the bike, so I don't do it hardly ever.

I only have trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd at low rpm's, every once and a while, since I changed to full syn. it almost never happens now.

(NightCrawler @ Aug. 15 2007,21:40)
(bjewell @ Aug. 15 2007,18:27) The turn signal switch -- which I already hate -- is also crunchy.  I keep forgetting to turn it off, plus it is a hard reach.  Harley's type is much better for me.
There you have it! The only thing better on a Harley is the freakin' TURN SIGNAL SWITCH!!!  
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I bet those are "made in japan" on the hd's.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(kennym4 @ Aug. 16 2007,07:36) I think I need to adjust the shifter also, is this fairly
When clutchless shifting, it's so smooth, but heard it wasn't good for the bike, so I don't do it hardly ever.
IMO clutchless shifting (upshift only, never downshift) should only be done under WOT in the high RPM's so you can "blip" the throttle back alowing the gears to engage easier. Use to do this on my old Mustangs to save the clutch when running high hp and cut a couple tenths off ET times.

Back