Cruising gear?

Garrison

Registered
I would imagine this bike has plenty of torque to take you smoothly from city to highway, but hitting turns and on/off ramps, can you just brake and roll the throttle out of them (I guess essentially negating the need to shift) or does it need to be in a lower gear?
The only reason I ask is that I want to be safe with this bike and give it the respect it deserves, and as of right now? That's fear.

Also, rolling the throttle:

I came from a 600. It would not wheel spin even if I absolutely hammered it coming out of a corner in first. It would lift the wheel and not much else. Now I got to ride my busa to be around a neighborhood and it seemed like a tame-ish creature with very respectful throttle control. Does that continue throughout the power-band or does it change?

Only time I ever use 6th gear is if I'm going steadily above 70 mph. Rule of thumb I use for everyday riding, never let it pull under 3000rpm, no major throttle opening under 4000rpm, and shift at, at least 4000rpm. If your wanting to go faster, use higher rpm, just be careful with big throttle openings if your leaned way over or if your on questionable pavement (wet, dirty, oily intersections). Hayabusa is a predictable beast with no particular power "hit" like some liter bikes have, experiment, get to know your bike, and it'll tell you what it's going to do.
ThumbsUp.gif

Oh, and
welcome.gif
to the Org.

You dont need to fear it. Just respect it and gradually learn to tame it. Then you'll be good to go.
beerchug.gif

You'll be fine either way it is all in the right wrist. The busa is as tame or as wild as you want it to be. Just think of your right wrist as the antogonizer (little devil of your concious) and your brain the anti antagonizer.

Only time I ever use 6th gear is if I'm going steadily above 70 mph. Rule of thumb I use for everyday riding, never let it pull under 3000rpm, no major throttle opening under 4000rpm, and shift at, at least 4000rpm. If your wanting to go faster, use higher rpm, just be careful with big throttle openings if your leaned way over or if your on questionable pavement (wet, dirty, oily intersections). Hayabusa is a predictable beast with no particular power "hit" like some liter bikes have, experiment, get to know your bike, and it'll tell you what it's going to do.
ThumbsUp.gif

Oh, and  
welcome.gif
to the Org.
iamwithstupid.gif
iamwithstupid.gif
iamwithstupid.gif
iamwithstupid.gif
iamwithstupid.gif
yup what he said, and welcome, be safe
welcome.gif
welcome.gif
welcome.gif

iamwithstupid.gif

iamwithstupid.gif

iamwithstupid.gif

iamwithstupid.gif

welcome.gif

welcome.gif

welcome.gif

Okay, thank you Hillbilly Tom. Is there a reason you don't want it to pull under 3k rpm? Is it just that it requires too much input to respond quickly in a crisis situation?

Okay, thank you Hillbilly Tom. Is there a reason you don't want it to pull under 3k rpm? Is it just that it requires too much input to respond quickly in a crisis situation?
In a higher gear I just never liked the idea of lugging the motor too much. I'll let it fall under 3000 in the first 3 gears if traffic and the situation needs, don't really see the need for buzzing along in a 30mph limit in first gear @4500rpm either. But I'll use smaller throttle openings until it spools up a little more before I whack the gas WFO.
Mind you, all this is just IMO and my methods, far from "how it has to be done". Lots of other folks here have vastly different ways of doing things, mostly all good.

i just listen to the engine as i shift. Listen to your engine when shifting. You can learn a lot just by listening to the revs when shifting.
Listen to your busa, your busa will talk back if you just listen to it.
beerchug.gif

Back