Cruisers...hmmmm...

efiguero

Registered
Ok, so the majority of my motorcycle experience has been on sportbikes, and that is really all I know when if comes to comfort on a bike (If you can call it comfort, lol). This has been mainly due to the fact that I have never really seen a cruiser that I thought was my style. Anyhow, when I first saw the M109, I thought to myself now that looks pretty slick and if I were ever to become interested in a cruiser that would be one I would defiantly look into.

Anyhow, several months ago, I had the chance to ride my first cruiser, which was a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird, and I must say I finally understood by these people buy these ugly cruisers, lol. Well a good friend of mine bought an M109 a while back and always said that if I wanted to ride it that I could. So I finally took him up on it this weekend.

I have to say that I was expecting it to ride like the thunderbird since they seem to be similar in size and style minus the fat tire. Well I seemed to be wrong, my buddies M109 was a little brutal. I think his is an 07, he has cobra pipes (without baffles) and all I can say is WHOA!!! That thing is insanely loud, I had my helmet on, ear buds with music playing and all I could hear is the freakin exhaust. Next it seemed a bit rough, like I was vibrating the whole time I was riding it. The power on this thing was pretty impressive though, and the throttle response was surprising. He has a custom seat on it, which I must say was not the most comfortable. I actually started to think that my gel seat on my busa was more comfortable and I really don't care for it, haha. Anyhow, I rode it for about 150 miles, and could not really decide if I liked it or not. I was really annoyed with the exhaust, at times I thought that I might end up deaf by the end of the ride. I also wondered that maybe if the exhaust had not been so loud and a different seat I might have enjoyed the bike more, who knows. My buddy also has the C109RT which he let me take for a spin, this is his preferred bike. Now that think rode smooth as heck but felt like I was riding a boat, but loved the floor boards, never thought those things made such a difference.

Needless to say, I still like the look of the M109, but wondered do they all ride like that or was it just his, or is this expected for most cruisers (The Thunderbird seemed to be a smoother ride)? What’s the story on the Suzuki M90?

The funny thing was, when it was time to go home and I got back on my 08 Busa, I had a grin from ear to ear and remembered why I love my bike so. Yes, the seating position is obviously more uncomfortable, but I felt like I was riding on air, so smooth and quiet (Sportbike quiet, lol). I did feel like I was on a little toy, almost like going from the busa to a gixxer compared to the M109 to the busa. Anyhow, figured I would share my recent cruiser experience, since the cruisers are still a new thing to me. ???

My 109 is a Great Bike...........Don't hit a Pot Hole............Tailbone Injury. I still Love this bike..............Just wondering if Cruisin is My Style ???

I have an opportunity to Buy the New BMW 1000rr.............Trading the M109...........

Choices :whistle:

Hi efiguero,
yes the M109r is quite impressive with Torque and Power where you want it most. Off the line it will leave quite a few behind because 3.5sec to 100kph is not hanging around and sub 12 sec quarters is not difficult to achieve.
I did have issues with mine when it came to doing the stupid oil-check routine. Luckily, they do not require much (if any) oil top-ups at all.
The shaft drive was a delight for ease of use and maintenance.
The ONLY thing about it I found wanting was the bone jarring ride on anything that is not "Boulevard" smooth.
Also when it came to corners, I was always asking an extra 100kg of bulk, how to get around without really messing it up. In short, it was not very beautiful when it came to the mountain twisties.
By comparison, the Busa is saying to me, "Corner, what corner?"
The 9 has a very impressive road presence and 99.9% of the other road users and bystanders genuinely found it to be a GAS!
Buy the Ltd Ed if you are thinking of one because they have better fittings for almost the same money.

Well I won't be adding a cruiser to the garage until the Busa is paid off. I have contemplated maybe selling the busa and just getting a cruiser but after my experience this weekend and how I felt once I was back on the busa, that is not gonna happen. I love that bike too much, lol. So in a couple of years I will see what I can afford and what the wife will allow me to add, hahaha. I am just glad I got to ride the M109 which is what I had been eyeing for a while, just did not enjoy the ride as much as I thought I would. Maybe it was just his, I dunno..I really like the look of it better than most other cruisers.

I picked up an 08 109r about 3 months ago and I felt the same way.The thing you have to understand is that its not set up for you. I added a backrest for my wife as well as me, got the handle bars moved forward and a different seat and it made all the difference in the world. After the first month i was ready to get rid of it but after changing everything to fit me its not going anywhere. As far as bumppy and okward and vibrating, thats just the way these bikes are. My busa has a much more controlled ride and i still feel more comfortable on it. There is no comparision on handling,breaking and power. The busa is king.

1.jpg

everytime I climb on a cruiser I try to tuck my legs under me then when i can't find the pegs I quickly stick my legs forward to find the rests. :laugh: cuisers are nice and they have their place. I keep thinking about getting one to just cruise but I'm just not comfortable with my legs sticking in front of me.

I grew up on cruisers and LOVE hanging my feet up front. Best ride I had was from Dallas to Phoenix on a Kawi KZ650. I had cruise pegs and before I knew there were cup holders for a bike,I was holding a cup between my legs so that I could get up to speed, with my music from my pull out deck (to show you how long ago this was), locking my throttle at the desired speed, putting my feet up on the cruise pegs, and leaning back on my pack. Let me tell ya, I was on top of the world for those I think 14 of 16 hours.

The busa is my first sport bike. I promise I won't trade her because I think I could still make that drive on her. Not just any sport bike though. And when it's all said and done, I hope to have a cruiser and sport bike.. Maybe even a tour bike. (Not that I can't make the busa do all of the above).

But YES you have to set it up for you. Even if you want one like my old KZ had straight pipes. I loved the ear bleeding noise. (I was much younger). So many more things you can do to a cruiser too as far as small things, like bars, pegs, lower controls or forward, etc. Most out of the factory won't be AS rough (muffled, etc) until you change it as such.

I've had my M109 since 2006 when it was new. Picked it up in June as a "congratulations on finally landing THE job" present.
Things that they did right:
Power, brakes, handling (no, it's not a sport bike, but it's MUCH closer than any other cruiser that I've ever thrown a leg over...and that's many of them), looks.

Speaking of twisties...when I ride with others, it's usually Busas or B-Kings. I've yet to have a problem keeping up with them in the twisties. They'd eat me alive at any track in the world, but I do ok at regular speeds where top end isn't an issue. It's more work to get through the curves, but that just means more fun. If I didn't have to work at it, I'd get bored & then I might as well be sitting on a porch bench racing.

Things that they did wrong:
1 shaft drive. Would have been lighter & no shaft rise with a belt drive.
2 clutch. a cable that snaps & is very poorly routed...this from a company with plenty of sport bikes with hydraulic clutches...
3 clutch. the clutch itself seems to fail a little too often for anyone to like.
4 engine mounts. make sure that you check them if you buy a used bike because they're probably worn badly!
5 5 speeds. This bike desperately needs a 6th gear!

If you get one, you'll probably have a ton of fun on it. I know that I really enjoy riding it. The positives severely outweigh the negatives.

My M109 LE (09) could have done with a better gearbox even though there was nothing wrong with it. It was just a bit slow say shifting from 1st to 2nd, plus the mighty un-gentle thump going from N to 1st. That required a 1sec delay with the clutch pulled in before engaging and then it was smooth and relatively quiet. You get used to this and it was really no big deal at all.
Just 5 speeds seems OK as the 5th gear was quite tall and still had plenty of torque wherever you are. Shaft drive was totally hassle-free. I will have one again for the sheer road presence and fun factor. With small mods, an 11 sec 1/4 was quite achievable too. Then there were corners. There's corners and there's corners. The second variety scaped the undercarriage and pegs and whatever you got very easily. Part of it's party tricks I guess. For a Muscle-Cruiser, they don't really get much better than this.
O.

love suzukis sport bikes but the crusers just dont have "the looks".
its a different world for shure. i have an old dyna and it is for just puttin, when i try to push it through the corners or even just runnin a little fast (100ish) its scarey, and not in a good way.
just because i have a harley dosen't mean you should. i am constantly working on my dyna, mostly little stuff, dropped valve, twisted out oil plug, exct.. seems like when i fix one thing another something needs fixed. i would push ya twards victory or kawasaki or even honda. depends on if you want to just cruse around or tour. for touring go victory all the way!

a man needs 7 motorcycles:rulez::laugh:

^^^ 7... I'm so lacking as I thought only 3.. So give me an excuse to add 4 more.. That way if I'm ever married one day I can explain it to my wife why I have 7.. lmao

Just traded my M109R in on Saturday for my Hayabusa! I loved the bike (had it for 3 years) just wasn't a sportbike. And until I can afford (or should I say the wifey LETS me afford) both, I realized I'd rather have the sportbike in the garage over the cruiser! :thumbsup:

I have a cruiser in my garage as well (Honda VTX1300R). But when it's time to ride, I almost ALWAYS pick my 'Busa. For all the reasons mentioned in the opening post: it's quieter, faster, more nimble, better suspension, better ride, better gas mileage (if anyone cares about that, LOL!), draws more looks, and it's just a downright better riding experience.

My VTX has bags, fairing, shield, back rest, etc, etc, but the 'Busa is just more of what I enjoy when I ride a bike. Gotta admit, though - on those 30 degree mornings, the cruiser's heated grips and full fairing do make for a more comfortable commute.

CW

Back