Cruise Control RH Switch on/off reach

ottafish

Registered
Question for you guys with a Gen3 that use the cruise control..

Which hand do you use to turn the cruise on with? I mean the on/off switch on the RH switch block.
I've mounted the G3 switch blocks onto my Gen2, but find to use the RH switch to turn it on, it's easier for me to reach across with my left hand.
Seems if I use my right thumb, I need to almost let go of the grip as the reach is so big.
Now not sure if it's because I grafted them on or not.
But just thought I'd ask out of curiosity.

I found it to be way too much of a stretch with the right hand to fiddle around to turn it on,found myself using the left hand to work it all. The KTM 1290 SA has it on the RH switch block but it practically lives right next to your hand. It would've been easier to place it on the left.

It can all be armed and then engaged with the left-hand thumb on the BMW. Sounds very odd on the Gen 3 - pictures?

This was one of my initial review complaints.

It’s almost like the RH thumb button is backwards. It’s a very long reach that I’ve gotten use to but that just turns the system on. The LH button does the activation/increase/decrease which is very easy and close to use.

This was one of my initial review complaints.

It’s almost like the RH thumb button is backwards. It’s a very long reach that I’ve gotten use to but that just turns the system on. The LH button does the activation/increase/decrease which is very easy and close to use.
Agree. The LH ones are easy reach.
I’ve found for me it’s near impossible to keep the throttle steady and activate the cruise using the right hand.

I too find the longer reach to be a hassle.. I still train (use it in that fashion) tho as I guess I thought it was designed that way with safety in mind... not having everything on one side. I wasn't aware other bikes had all the controls on the left grip.
The button is definitely backwards for sure!

I'm feeling better now. I thought it may have been my Frankenstein setup. But now appears to be a common thing. Whew... :)

Otta You took the gen 3 cruise control and put it on your bike? I would love to know how you did that pictures write up anything?

Otta You took the gen 3 cruise control and put it on your bike? I would love to know how you did that pictures write up anything?

Not only how do you do it but how did you get ahold of it. Did you buy it from parts?

Not quite. I have the Rostra cruise unit mounted in the tail. Which I've had for a few years now. I just wanted a clean, neater install.
I haven't even considered the Gen3 module as I'm sure it would be link into the ECU and not really a standalone option.
I'd need a full wiring diag and schematics to get an understanding if its even possible.

Let me get this straight.
You have to turn the cruise control system ON which is on the right hand grip.
Then engage it with the left hand on the left hand grip. Is that right?

If the above is true then why not turn the system ON when you start the bike.
Then it would be ready anytime during the ride.

Let me get this straight.
You have to turn the cruise control system ON which is on the right hand grip.
Then engage it with the left hand on the left hand grip. Is that right?

If the above is true then why not turn the system ON when you start the bike.
Then it would be ready anytime during the ride.
Correct. The cruise on/off switch is on the right hand side.
The set/coast, resume/accel is on the left hand side.
The on/off button is a pita to reach without dropping throttle position (for me anyway)

Good point. I guess because I don't always use it.

Question for you guys with a Gen3 that use the cruise control..

Which hand do you use to turn the cruise on with? I mean the on/off switch on the RH switch block.
I've mounted the G3 switch blocks onto my Gen2, but find to use the RH switch to turn it on, it's easier for me to reach across with my left hand.
Seems if I use my right thumb, I need to almost let go of the grip as the reach is so big.
Now not sure if it's because I grafted them on or not.
But just thought I'd ask out of curiosity.
Did you get all this wired up and all switches working? I too, wouldn’t mind getting rid of the rostra switch panel, but looks like the “mode” button was moved from right to left, the hazard from left to right and the low/high/flash to pass was integrated into a single switch.

Happy Sunday evening..
Sure did. The mode button is on the left, sits in the middle of the cruise up/down button.
All works perfectly.
And looks the part. It's a bit fiddly and need some elec smarts as an interface, nothing super.
I have a small, red/green led mounted in the lower surround of the gauges and goes red with cruise on and green when active.
Still, the cruise on/off switch in the factory place, I reach across with my left hand to turn it on.
I'm prob going to rejig it a bit and wire in with the high beam flash to make cruise cancel. Same as using the brake or clutch, but just means it won't look like I'm braking from those behind me.

Happy Sunday evening..
Sure did. The mode button is on the left, sits in the middle of the cruise up/down button.
All works perfectly.
And looks the part. It's a bit fiddly and need some elec smarts as an interface, nothing super.
I have a small, red/green led mounted in the lower surround of the gauges and goes red with cruise on and green when active.
Still, the cruise on/off switch in the factory place, I reach across with my left hand to turn it on.
I'm prob going to rejig it a bit and wire in with the high beam flash to make cruise cancel. Same as using the brake or clutch, but just means it won't look like I'm braking from those behind me.
That’s awesome! I’ll have to look at some diagrams and see if I can make this work.

Back