Cross country ride...leathers??

busa clubslinger

Registered
Hey all, question for those of you that do serious miles. I'm getting ready to ride to Arizona on my '08. I've never done anything like this so I'm curious what is best to wear? I really want to wear my leathers for protection (and I just like how they feel) but am afraid they will make me too hot. What do you wear when you pull serious miles (700-800 miles/day)? Thanks for the info as this is my first cross country ride and I'm both excited and a little nervous! :laugh:

I prefer an "all season" 3-1 jacket/pants combo for multi-day LD rides. I currently have the Scorpion XDR: Scorpion XDR Master Jacket :: MotorcycleGear.com

09ScorpionXDRMasterYLLG.jpg

You will want to look for the best stay cool type of gear you can find. The Sun will be brutal so you going to want full coverage including your nose. Having a water packof some sort to keep yourself hydrated would also rank high on my list if it were me. I would also consider taking time off during the hottest part of the day to preserve energy and avoid the heat. Can you tell I don't like to ride in the heat? :laugh:

It hit 108 today in my neck of the woods and my car was having a tough time staying cool with the AC on.

I didn't think about the nose ZRXMAX! Good advise, thanks! I'm actually going to head all the way to CA after hitting AZ! Anyone else? What about some of the reinforced riding jeans? Anyone use these for LD rides?

I wear riding jeans (though they are Not as safe as leathers) and a perforated leather or textile jacket. One trick that works is, I stop often and soak my tee shirt in water and put it back on. (You'll get some weird looks!) It will give you some evaporative cooling for a little while but amazingly on a 90 degree day you'll be bone dry in half an hour.

I wear full leathers on long trips. sidi race boots, joe rocket 2.0 track leather pants and I wear an alpinestars smx jacket. The jacket is the main thing. The alpinestars is so incredibly great at keeping you cool

I can tell you that I rode out West last year and wore BDU's, I hated it. I felt naked and so wish I had worn my leathers. I wore full leather to the bash and back and felt good the entire trip. Wear what you are comfortable with, for me, its full gear.

Well...I guess full leathers it is...I always feel best in them. Just try and stay hydrated and do the occasional water soaking of the shirt!

Full leathers, Sidis, and a Camelbak on my Az-Mi trips. I wouldn't want to go down in BFE with just a jacket. I also added LDComfort shorts with padded bicycle shorts over them. Did 3300 miles in 4 days travel.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

It was 118* in Phoenix today, so make sure you get in really early or really late. I would suggest coming in from the higher elevations to the north so you minimize your time in the heat. If you're in Va, you might even head a bit north so you can come in Denver-ABQ-Flagstaff (nicer ride anyway). The I-20/I-10 route would be brutal.

Make sure you get a cool vest.

Real life saver. They are $40 bucks at Cycle Gear.

9004433404_68b4ba73c5_o.jpg

Wear what you normally wear, maybe add a camel back to drink from and sunscreen for the old nose. I did 800mi in a day on my way home from the bash last year in the rain. I had rain gear on, which I was thankful for, but I didn't like the different feeling. It gave me one more thing to think about when my plate was already full.
I wouldn't want a new pair of boots being broken in or figure out that my coat fit differently because I added a new bit of kit.

Make sure you get a cool vest.

Real life saver. They are $40 bucks at Cycle Gear.

9004433404_68b4ba73c5_o.jpg

I never had much luck with those cool vests, they only worked for a few minutes and then they were dry and it was just an extra layer making me even more hot.

Wear what you normally wear, maybe add a camel back to drink from and sunscreen for the old nose. I did 800mi in a day on my way home from the bash last year in the rain. I had rain gear on, which I was thankful for, but I didn't like the different feeling. It gave me one more thing to think about when my plate was already full.
I wouldn't want a new pair of boots being broken in or figure out that my coat fit differently because I added a new bit of kit.

This is exactly what I was concerned with, I'd hate to find myself in the middle of Wyoming with a strange seam digging into my arse! :poke:

Invest in an Aerostich one piece for the trip, and use it for another 10 years. That's what I did. :thumbsup:

I use vented textile stuff even though I have leathers, they normally vent better. I have heard of the bicycle shorts too but haven't tried them. good luck with what ever you choose.

IDK I would assume to wear leathers as well but you know how mother nature loves to be unpredictable and I've never ridden in a set of leathers that got soak n wet from a torrential downpour?? Maybe armored gortex motorcycle jacket n pants??

Back