Crazy night last nigh

BrianKesler

Registered
I have a friend who works for the Polk County Sheriffs Office and i go out and ride along with him while he is working on a monthly basis, i have been now for about 2 years. Last night, another deputy, him, and idecided to run radar for a little bit. We pulled over a box truck for 60 in a 40, let him go then another for 55 and let him go too, nothing big. Then me and my friend see the other deputy flying by with lights and sirens, so we take off and catch up. The deputy said he was doing about 50, but passing people in the center turn lane and just driving recklessly. As the first deputy gets to the drivers side of the truck, my friend was calling the stop in to dispatch. The first deputy was at the window talking to the driver, me and my friend were at the drivers rear of the truck. All of a sudden the first deputy starts yelling "gun gun gun!" I take off and get behind the first police car, and the 2 deputes back off and draw their weapons, then we hear 1 shot, the guy had shot himself in the head. The deputy had asked him to get out of the truck and he said no, and handed the deputy a note. The deputy asked him what the note had to do with a traffic stop and he said "this" as he pulled the gun. From what i know the guy had shot some rounds off at his house and told his wife/girlfriend that he was gonna kill himself. She didnt believe him and told him go ahead. The way the guy was driving we dont know if he was angry and was on his way to hurt someone else or what he was going to do.
Ive been looking for a job in law enforcement, and this has not turned me away from it, but its strange that most leo's can go their whole career without ever experiencing something like this, but im not even a leo yet and ive run into it. Wrong place wrong time i guess, but who knows, maybe we got to him before he got to anyone else? Just thought id share my story, hopefully i will never have to see that again.

wow.gif
... action packed night you have had mate

quite a night indeed but if your becoming a leo it poabably wont be the last. glad you or the other deputys wernt hurt
smile.gif

Well, Brian, first, I think it is absolutely fantastic that you consistently do ride alongs. Very cool if you are actively considering employment in the field. There is verly little expereince better than consistent ride alongs. Now, as you reflect on this scenario again and again, this becomes a tool to learn from. As you said, at least in your areas, and areas similar to yours, very few officers will run across a situation such as that. You are one of the few, and when you get to the job, you will have had this experience to learn from already.

I'm glad you came out unhurt and relfecting on this. The scenario can be played out numerous ways, and running through what happened, and how it was handled: what could have been differently, what reactions were good and bad...and so forth, that's learning. Traffic stops are SO dangerous. You make a good point. One in how many damn traffic stops will result in a situation like you had on your hands? Your fellow officers, and probably you, were already on your zones, should have been expecting ANYTHING at the point that he finally stopped. His behavior was already indicating a heightened sense of agitation, volatility, agrressiveness. Complacency is the devil. You always, always! have to be on your guard. Be in the yellow zone, bud...alert, ready...Sounds like you all were. Your experience, not just this, but riding along and learning, is going to make you an ideal candidate when you're ready.

Amazing story, Brian. I'm SO glad you and the other officers came out of it okay. One hell of an experience, isn't it? Did your body feel a little sore afterwards? You all of the sudden felt you hit a wall and were just exhausted after the adrenaline ebbed away?

Take care Brian,

Jason

Two most dangerous things a cop does - Traffic stops and domestics. Either can turn from day to night in a blink.

So Brian, what do you suppose the last thing going through that dude's mind was??

The bullet...
wink.gif

After it all happened i was pretty calm. The deputy who did the traffic stop was shaken up and kind of freaking out, which i understand. As today has gone on, i am remembering more and more about it. I now remember that the gunshot went off just as i had gotten behind the police car. I remember peeking up over the trunk and through the glass and seeing the guys head slumped over hanging out the window with blood coming down the side of the truck. 8 hours later when the were going to remove the body from the truck, i actually walked over and watched. He used a S&W 9mm. I saw the entry and exit point, pretty nasty. I also remember looking over at the truck from a distance and seeing just the top of his head and thinking how just hours ago this person was alive and well, now hes another statistic. I would still like to know what was going on in his life that he thought this was the answer.

I would still like to know what was going on in his life that he thought this was the answer.
... What can cause someone to take their own life?
Just existing, marking time in an inky-black, comfortless, tortured present, all alone, with nobody who cares, nothing to hold onto and absolutely no hope in sight...

Then it makes all the sense in the world.

I think only people who've been there can understand.

I would still like to know what was going on in his life that he thought this was the answer.
My father killed himself when I was 9 years old. He was bi-polar. NO one can tell you what are going throught their minds... we can gues that they feel alone, worthless and it's dark and negative. Something that most of us don't know, can't understand. Could be that all they DO know is that they want it to end.. they can't take it anymore, and death is the only way out.

That's a shame, cuz I'm sure his girlfriend is gonna be guilt ridden for a long time. For no reason.

Glad that you weren't injured... sure is an eye opener!

Just existing, marking time in an inky-black, comfortless, tortured present, all alone, with nobody who cares, nothing to hold onto and absolutely no hope in sight...

Are you sure your ok? You sound like you understand a bit too much.

+1

Two most dangerous things a cop does - Traffic stops and domestics. Either can turn from day to night in a blink.

So Brian, what do you suppose the last thing going through that dude's mind was??

The bullet...
wink.gif
The first statement is absolutely true, no matter where you get hired on!

The second shows you the kind of sick sense of humor that is necessary to cope with this job!

Many people who are not in this line of work, do not get "cop humor". They write it off as rude, uncaring or even viscious. It is none of the above trust me. It's just that you see this crap day in and day out and have to find a way to deal with it without losing your damn mind.

You also end up feeling less sorry for stupid people who do stupid things (not talking about suicides here) like felonies where innocents get hurt. Most cops end up not having alot of sympathy for people who get arrested for using a gun or drunk driving or whatever. You see it so much, you stop making excuses for people like their frineds or relatives may do.

Keep doing the ride alongs, they are the best education you can get right now. Just remember to keep your head down!
wink.gif
As you have already learned, things can go to shiot in a fraction of a second!

Have fun and be safe!

<!--EDIT|Nijinsky3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123424075 -->

wink.gif

I think the Newspaper article would have been far more interesting if it had said something about Brain Kesler, a civilian doing a ride along was also present during the traffic stop.  
blush.gif

+1
+2

but....

realize it is yourself that has this problem, and it is not others that dont care, it is only you that don't understand.

That's one heck of an experience to have during a ride along. Glad you didn't get hurt.

+1
+2

but....

realize it is yourself that has this problem, and it is not others that dont care, it is only you that don't understand.
Agreed of course.

But imagine that you're inside a pitch black labyrinth and you're trying to find a way out.  Inside there are obstacles that cause you great pain - things on the walls that stab you, that rip at you, that burn you, you get the idea.  There are people outside, out in the daylight, who are telling you that there's a door on the southeast side if you can just find your way to it, but they've never been in there and none of them can help you.  You've been wandering around in there for a long time and you're hurting, lost and helpless.  They can't understand because they've never been in there and, from your perspective, you're completely alone - no one can understand.

Then along comes someone who HAS been in there.  He gets an idea where you are by listening to your voice, then tells you that it's okay, he's been there and he will stay until he can help you get out.  Suddenly there's hope - there's someone outside who understands.  Now it's only  a matter of hanging on.  You know there will be more pain, but you can endure it because there's an end in sight.  Someone is there, someone who cares - someone who's been there - and you can get out.

<!--EDIT|Aughtsix
Reason for Edit: "oops, about to edit the wrong post..."|1123447793 -->

Back