Crashing a busa = safer than wakeboarding....

Russ how does that rod affect the marrow in your bone?
Looks like it would totally displace it? Does that rod stay in forever?
If it comes out will the marrow replace itself?

I don't know how it affect it? :poke:
I was told the marrow grows back in around the rod. The rod stays in forever unless it continues to give me trouble down the road.
And yes if the rod is removed the marrow will grow back.
I'm an extremely healthy person so I am sure I will not lose much from the loss of marrow.

Landing. It wasn't even a "bad" landing. It seemed like a normal landing. All up until the part where my leg broke. It was a complete break. The 2 different pieces of my leg were getting flopped around by waves and stuff. Felt AMAZING!

Yep so was mine. Not fun at all :tantrum:. Luckily I fell down nicely and didnt agitate mine. I am sure the waves were VERY unforgiving for you! :laugh:

Mine didn't feel good when they flopped my leg around to get it into a splint. Then to get it out of the splint. Then take xrays... :cry:. Worst pain I have ever felt. Something kinda like this guy...

i can NEVER GET OVER HOW NASTY that video is! And to think my leg did that... :poke:

That'll learn you.. Should have been riding instead of in the watter.. haha:poke:
Just kiddin. (who am I to talk with my current injury.. haha)

OUCH! Speedy recovery to you though...

sorry to hear about the luck. so are you gonna be able to wake board again?

my grandfathers pro race career was ended with a motorcycle crash into a concrete barrier at over 100mph. broke his femor in several places. bad part about that happening in 1940 is that he had to wear a full body cast for almost a year. could you imagine having an itch on your foot? id have to drill scatch holes. ive had plenty of casts to be sure of that.

Yes, I will be able to eventually. Not this season, but once I'm fully recovered, yes. I can't even imagine having a full body cast. I get hot enough as it is sitting in this bed with nothing more than my hospital gown on. A cast would be murder. And the "scratch holes"..... That would be aweful....

I am no stranger to badly broken bones and rods...

From what I understand, that's exactly what I have as far as the rod and screws, except mine is upper leg. I haven't seen the x-rays, but my parents have. I also asked the doc and they all said it looks horrible. I'll be getting a disk with the x-rays on it, so I'll definitely post some up when I get that.

It will be 9 months in a week and I still haven't ran much since the break. The pain when I run is finally beginning to ease up...

But I have been rebuilt. Better, stronger, and faster than before.

I'm glad yours is healing up well. I'm hoping mine will do well, too. I know it's going to take a lot of time, but hopefully my age, and the fact that I WAS healthy will help that, as well. I've already been up and walked around a few times with crutches. My physical therapist has been really impressed with what I've done, considering we're only on day 3 (day 2 at the time).

I'll tell you.... The worst part of all of it was getting out of the water. First off, we knew where we were as far as how to get back to the marina, but didn't know any buoy numbers or anything like that, so we had no way of telling the 911 dispatcher where we were. Thankfully a fisherman who lived in the cove we were in was headed back and we flagged him down, so he told them where we were and actually went and met them at the closest loading dock and brought them out there to me. I don't even know his name. I wish I did so I could send him SOMETHING for helping cause I don't have any clue what we would have done without him. The deck of my boat sits about 2-1/2 feet up above my head when I'm floating in the water, so that would have been an even bigger nightmare trying to get into.

But anyway, I floated in the water for about 30 min or so (seemed like hours) just holding my leg together, trying to keep it from moving. My brother was in the water with me, my mom was on the phone with 911 and my sister-in-law and baby nieces (one and a half and 3) were in the boat. I felt so bad for my nieces cause they knew something was wrong. I was trying not to scream too much cause it was worrying them. Ava kept asking "Is uncle Kevin going to be ok?"

So the guy finally gets back with the paramedics and they were on his boat, so it wasn't like it was a DNR boat with all the fancy inflatable stretchers and things, and one of them says "I hate to tell you this, but there isn't any GOOD way of doing this. We just gotta pull you up. It's gonna hurt." So one of them got in the water with my brother and the other stayed on the boat. We go around back to the low deck part of the bass boat, by the engine. The one on the boat pulls me up by my life vest and my brother and the other guy basically just lift up my legs and hand them to him. Right leg flopping and pulling and rubbing the 2 ends of the bone together.... I ALLLLMOST passed out, but I didn't.

They put it in traction to get me on the board to get me off the boat (not fun. The traction splint could only support one half of the femur) and put me on the gurney. Ride to the hospital was ok except turns cause the unsupported part of my leg wanted to go the same way as the body roll of the ambulance. And the last 3 miles of the ride were extremely bumpy.

Finally got in the hospital and the x-ray room was terrible. Moving me from table to stretcher with just the draw sheet. Nothing really supporting the leg... No bueno. They finally gave me some IV morphine, which helped a little, but not much. I'm on perkacet (sp?) right now, along with IV morphine as needed. Pain just sitting here is around a 4 when the meds are about an hour into their working time. It creeps up to anywhere between 5 and 8 when it starts wearing off or they're late with a dose, or I'm doing physical therapy during the back half of the working time of a dose.

Should be going home sometime tomorrow (or today, I guess, considering it's 2am). Hopefully they'll give me something good for pain. Actually, they WILL give me something good for pain, cause I won't go home without it...

The hospital wouldnt give me anything for pain when I left other than a prescription. Luckily we found a 24hr pharmacy in Charlotte.

I was able to run on my femur break after about 5 months. It will take a while for your leg to get back used to the shock though.

The hospital wouldnt give me anything for pain when I left other than a prescription. Luckily we found a 24hr pharmacy in Charlotte.

I was able to run on my femur break after about 5 months. It will take a while for your leg to get back used to the shock though.

I'm sure it will. It's so frustrating right now being able to give it absolutely everything I have and I can't even lift the thing off the bed.... I try not to think about that too much and just focus on the therapy. Otherwise it just makes me kind of depressed.

I'm sure it will. It's so frustrating right now being able to give it absolutely everything I have and I can't even lift the thing off the bed.... I try not to think about that too much and just focus on the therapy. Otherwise it just makes me kind of depressed.

Ah don't worry about it you will get it back. You will have to work at it but it will happen. I didnt even have the strength to twist my leg side ways. If it fell over to the side during the night I would have to get the nurse to pull it back up and prob it up with a pillow. It would hurt very badly when she did it too.

Ah don't worry about it you will get it back. You will have to work at it but it will happen. I didnt even have the strength to twist my leg side ways. If it fell over to the side during the night I would have to get the nurse to pull it back up and prob it up with a pillow. It would hurt very badly when she did it too.

I can roll mine sideways... sort of. Kinda depends on how long it's been sitting in one spot. But yea, it does hurt like hell.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you recover fast, take it easy, dont push yourself too much.

Sorry to hear. It's a good time to follow up on a bone deficiency disease and such. Better to be safe then sorry.

Sorry to hear. It's a good time to follow up on a bone deficiency disease and such. Better to be safe then sorry.

I have thought about getting a bone density test. We'll see. I made it home today. The car ride was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I'd much rather get my wisdom teeth broken apart and removed again.... I have the xrays now, so I'll post them in just a min.

Bummer!!...Godspeed on your Recovery!! and get back on that bike!!:thumbsup:

Here are some of the x-rays.

IMG00569.jpg

IMG10.jpg

IMG12.jpg

IMG1.jpg

IMG2.jpg

IMG3.jpg

IMG4.jpg

IMG5.jpg

And if you look at the 2 x-rays that were taken horizontally of the break, you'll notice in one the bones are angled up and in the other, they're angled down. That's because every time I moved or twitched or anything the bones were going in different directions, so between the 2 x-rays they moved like that.

Back