Crashed top of the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca yesterday

Dookoo

Registered
Whoopsie. Came up on a friend too fast at the top of the Corkscrew yesterday and applied a bit more front brake than my tires could handle. Result: no injuries, tucked front end and a crash. Bike rideable but bent shift pedal, rash on left side fairing and gouged up bar end. I'd say I got off pretty easy. Gopro dash camera had me at a steady 51 mph when the front end tucked. I was on the ground so fast, like I hit a patch of ice. I was in A group with Q3's. I think next time I will be at the ready with dedicated track tires and warmers.

54EE1F3F-A104-4F6F-B9BB-876F4FEC76FA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch...man crashing sucks...especially on your BMW.

Sorry for the get off, but glad you and the scooter are ok. Epic pic.

Man I hate to see that...early lap? I didn't see anything that would cause the front to tuck, but vid is not at speed, either...

But, if you were GOING to crash, the top of the Corkscrew would at least be HISTORICALLY EPIC :)

Have you tried to pass in the dirt yet at the bottom? I CAN be done, or so I've heard.... :)

Man I hate to see that...early lap? I didn't see anything that would cause the front to tuck, but vid is not at speed, either...

But, if you were GOING to crash, the top of the Corkscrew would at least be HISTORICALLY EPIC :)

Have you tried to pass in the dirt yet at the bottom? I CAN be done, or so I've heard.... :)

Checked that off my list last year on the Busa. Yes, dumb mistake. Cold street tires on the outlap. Lesson learned.

Checked that off my list last year on the Busa. Yes, dumb mistake. Cold street tires on the outlap. Lesson learned.

BWWWAH....you been watching too much MotoGP :)

Cold tire on the out lap....I know a certain track coach that found out that was a bad idea this year, too....I'll bet if you'd had another lap, the tire would have been fine. Even with race tires on warmers, I don't trust the first lap....

Nice composure to throw a hand up and get right back at it after the run off....good on you!

I'm really surprised you can't hear the guy wearing the camera....laughing....

I really can't criticize....last year, last lap, last day of the season at Barber, I passed Jay (Tiller) going down the back straight when the checkered came out (cause it was about the only time I could get anywhere near him), used my THROTTE/BRAKE hand to reach back and smack my azz at him, and promptly ran off the track it was EPIC I WISH I had video :rofl:

It would have only been more epic if I'd crashed doing it (didn't)

P.S. A trackday at Laguna Seca would HAVE to be on my bucket list...

I'm really surprised you can't hear the guy wearing the camera....laughing....

I really can't criticize....last year, last lap, last day of the season at Barber, I passed Jay (Tiller) going down the back straight when the checkered came out (cause it was about the only time I could get anywhere near him), used my THROTTE/BRAKE hand to reach back and smack my azz at him, and promptly ran off the track it was EPIC I WISH I had video :rofl:

It would have only been more epic if I'd crashed doing it (didn't)

The way I look at it, its not that I won't fall but when, especially on trackdays. My biggest worry is getting taken out by someone from behind. Here's another vid (dashcam). As mentioned previously, this was the warm up lap and we still were going pretty easy. No matter, the cold front tire bit me.

[video=youtube_share;23S6cKfeCdA]http://youtu.be/23S6cKfeCdA[/video]

Dang DooKoo, I was expecting to see one of those third gear power slides that you are infamous for?

Your camera did a great job of witnessing the fork dive just prior to loosing traction. Great learning tool.

I'm not sure a race tire would have saved you in that particular instance but race tires would give you a bit more confidence.

You came away unscathed so no harm done. Mount up and give er another shot!

I've got the tire warmers dusted off and ready for another Laguna trackday in July. Replacement parts for the BMW are double than for the Busa. $325 for the clutch lever and shift pedal! No matter, I'm happy to be doing a trackday considering I almost lost my right leg in December. Still hurt badly to bend my knee on all the right handers. Lucky for me Laguna is predominantly left hand curves.

Back