Crashed 2008 Hayabusa - Need Advice

livefromheaven

Registered
Hi Guys, I am not a Hayabusa owner myself but I'm posting on behalf of my brother. He was in an accident a week ago with his 2008 Hayabusa. He's in the hospital with a few broken bones, but otherwise seems to be OK (thanks to his gear). I'm in charge of figuring out what to do with his bike and motorcycle insurance.
I'm a biker myself but more of a cruiser guy (really love the Busa's though - I think they're beautiful bikes).

I'm mostly looking for thoughts/advice on what it would take to repair this bike, or what things to look for deciding whether to let the insurance total it or try to salvage it myself with the rest of the insurance payout. It was hard to get a single shot with all the damage, but here's a gallery of images from all angles:

http://imgur.com/a/GR2h6

Basically the right side of the bike is fine - it slid for a bit after the crash on the left side (see the damage on the faring). A lot of the damage is cosmetic and shouldn't be too hard to fix. It does look like there's some damage to one of the wiring harnesses. Also in the first pic you can see some fluid underneath the bike. I'm pretty sure it's coolant and not oil - didn't look thick enough to me. Could just be a broken hose or radiator. Frame and forks don't seem bent to me (is there an easy way to verify this without equipment?)

Anything else I should be looking for while inspecting? I don't want to run it until I know there's still oil in there, and I can't fully inspect it until I tell the insurance I want to keep it. Does this look like a bike you would fix up and run?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is hard to tell by the pictures, but that doesn't look too bad to me. That tail section "pod" can be found cheap on eBay (no need to buy a full tail fairing) and you can find a nice OEM side fairing on eBay too. If the black piece that runs next to the tank is cracked it can be had for $30 or $40 on eBay also. I didn't see a pic of the nose fairing, but I'm assuming is damaged too. If that's the case, most likely the fairing stay is bent and that's a critical part that will make the difference between nice fitting/lined up fairings and misalign ones with big gaps between them. If the insurance totals it, I would buy it back from them and spend $1000 bucks on it to get back right. I say $1000 because I had get off at low speed that damaged those same pieces and after buying a nose fairing, side fairing, frame slider tip, handle bar end, etc, I was out about $800 bucks. Craigslist usually yields some good deals on OEM used busa parts. Good luck and I'm glad your brother is ok and he had his Gear on.

I would have a mechanic give it a thorough once over. Too many times I seen guys assume it was "light" damage only to later on find more expensive repairs are needed..... Once you have an accurate account of the damage and total $$$ needed to get it back on the road then I would make the decision

Looks cosmetic to me as well. I wrecked hard the day after easter, no gear on expect good gloves. nose, left side fairings, even up into the black trim next to the tank, and left side tail pod. Stator cover as well, but I had a chrome 3m stick in cover that protected the stator itself. I found plastics for less than 300, and I have a local guy here in Colorado who has a shop full of fairings!! The overflow coolant tank could've just leaked that fluid, I'd buy it back no doubt!

I hope he makes a full recovery. I'll save you the pics of my rash, I'm built solid so nothing broke but it was rough.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The problem with damage like this is that there will always be stuff you cannot see until you tear it apart and assess all of the damage. Looking at the pictures it looks like the Stator cover took some abuse in the slide and may be leaking oil. Other than that it does "appear" to be mostly cosmetic.

Doesn't look bad. Recommend you look at every weld you can see on the frame and see if you spot any cracks. How fast? A slide or an impact?

Like said before. You really have to tear into it and see how much damage there really is. Plastics are no big deal they can be found cheap enough. You need to know what's damaged under the plastic and how bad.

I'd recommend a partial front-end tear down as others have suggested to inspect the frame and stays.

Many often overlook it, but anytime a bike is laid over, including parking lot tip-overs, the forks should be released from their triple tree to relieve builtup stress in the clamp. While they're out, it is a great time to check their trueness. A small, insignificant impact can tweak the fork tubes which might not be noticeable to the naked eye.

I see stator cover and gasket, clutch side signal pods, clutch side fairings ( there's two pieces ) heat shields and pads, shifter and peg. You could actually replace the stator cover and gasket, replace oil and filter and ride. The separated parts can probably be snapped back together , that's common and they are designed to pop a part and back together. If it's a full on back to factory you'll need to replace the mirror and bar end. Not sure about the nose or front fender. Didn't know if that was debris or wiring hanging out. Like mentioned by others it needs to be stripped down and inspected.

Best of luck and hope the brother recovers.

Back