Crash Reduction System Kills Riders

Mike Chambers

Registered
These photos say it all. some nutbar in government decided that wire-rope barriers will reduce head on collisions. however they kill riders thus the name " Cheese Cutters".

833b4ced2fb24265ffff8367ffffd524.JPG

Figure-317-Median-wire-rope-barrier-on-Pacific-Highway-in-St-Helena-NSW-Australia.png

wirefence.jpg

ResizedImageWzYwMCwzMzVd-wire-rope-barrier.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All over Oklahoma turnpikes . Have seen a few here in California too. Don't go down.

I can tell you that in Oklahoma they are on most divided hwy's these days and as twotonevert mentioned almost a requirement on the turnpikes. I have seen them keep at least 100 cars from going across to the other lane. I can see your concerns but haven't heard of anyone going down on a bike and being cut up ... I will research and see what I can find.

cap

Those should have been a concrete dividers.

I'm guessing that the cables are cheaper, than concrete.
Our government has always done things on the cheap. however they are required to consult all road users when it comes to road safety systems . Motorcycle riders are not and never have been consulted . to date we have had at least 1 rider killed. this is the crap our government dumps on us .

I can tell you that in Oklahoma they are on most divided hwy's these days and as twotonevert mentioned almost a requirement on the turnpikes. I have seen them keep at least 100 cars from going across to the other lane. I can see your concerns but haven't heard of anyone going down on a bike and being cut up ... I will research and see what I can find.

cap
I had to respond to a call out three years ago to a rider crash/death as a result of hitting the metal post on the motorway down near Papakura . so I saw first hand the damage they will do. they're dangerous on corners .

I had to respond to a call out three years ago to a rider crash/death as a result of hitting the metal post on the motorway down near Papakura . so I saw first hand the damage they will do. they're dangerous on corners .
Subsequent coroner's report tried to blame rider (speed ,front tyre deflation ) for crash, that was not disputed , what was in dispute was the fact that if the barriers were either concrete or Armco the rider may have survived . politicians are ignorant to the facts of road design and construction . thick as pig s**t as some might say

Using concrete or solid barriers at the same time how many people have hit the wall and bounced back into traffic and hit other cars? I would expect the govt to go cheap and not throw away money... As sad as it sounds you have to look at the risk and reward and the volumes of accident types of what is the best solution.

Using concrete or solid barriers at the same time how many people have hit the wall and bounced back into traffic and hit other cars? I would expect the govt to go cheap and not throw away money... As sad as it sounds you have to look at the risk and reward and the volumes of accident types of what is the best solution.
Morning Captain . officials will assume quite correctly that motocyclists will protest then go quiet. alas riders are quite diverse in their attitudes towards matters that effect them. some whinge and whinge but do nothing, some will be proactive in their protest but will give up after a while and some don't care but will often be part of the problem not the solution . we (B.R.O.N.Z.) bikers rights of New Zealand have tried to be a voice for riders when it comes to dealing with the government on bike related matters. I saw in Melbourne Australia they have place PVC shields along vulnerable stretches of motorways as they have acknowledged the danger wire robe barriers pose. our government fails to see the bigger picture

Morning /afternoon Captain . have just watched the news article link you posted . Interesting , would be worth while making enquiries about the safety value of motorcyclists . or do the consider them collateral damage?
Further enquiries I made to constructors installation of said barriers state their must be at least 3 metres between the lane and the rope barriers and to whether some installations are illegal thus unsafe.

Interesting timing, this article was in the local news today...

http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/2596191980001?scrolling_list=video#gsc.tab=0
Further enquiries I made to constructors installation of said barriers state their must be at least 3 metres between the lane and the rope barriers and to whether some installations are illegal thus unsafe.
Further update , I have seen them on the Waikato expressway on the on ramps near Cambridge , both sides so if you have to avoid a car in front you will hit either side barrier. No way to avoid the system . there are 3 grades of wire rope barriers here but have not seen them stop a truck from going through them merely work like the arrester cable on an aircraft carrier

They were all over Missouri. When they started putting them in there were several items in the news about how they were better / safer than concrete barriers. They had clips of them stopping cars and even a semi. I once saw a semi that had torn out a bunch of posts and cable but didn't cross the median into oncoming traffic.

That being said, I have heard many complaints/concerns from motorcyclists and I sure wouldn't want to crash into one.

They were all over Missouri. When they started putting them in there were several items in the news about how they were better / safer than concrete barriers. They had clips of them stopping cars and even a semi. I once saw a semi that had torn out a bunch of posts and cable but didn't cross the median into oncoming traffic.

That being said, I have heard many complaints/concerns from motorcyclists and I sure wouldn't want to crash into one.
You guys over there need to be a voice and activily challenge the authority over the safety aspects in regards to the " motorcycle factor". put the argument to them. as I said earlier , we have had one fatality as a result of this system . Motorcyclists lives matter, we are not collateral damage

Keep in mind that the government could just as easily ban motorcycles in favour of keeping their shiny new barriers. Sometimes the squeeky wheel doesn't get the grease... it just gets thrown in the dumpster. :(

Keep in mind that the government could just as easily ban motorcycles in favour of keeping their shiny new barriers. Sometimes the squeeky wheel doesn't get the grease... it just gets thrown in the dumpster. :(
They were going to try that here but found out we are voters too , some were QCs (powerful lawyers) we became a voice

Back