Crappy Gas Mileage And Backfiring!

NewbieOnBusa

Registered
Got the ECU Reset to Stock Map... checked allignment..syncd TB... 91 Fuel.... changed sparks... checked for air/vaccum leaks... replaced firlter.... and still getting 30 MPG HWY and Backfires like crazy when rpms are coming down from 5k..... I hear loud POP backfiring noise coming from the engine side as well .. anyone here knows the solution or anything i am missing? Bike is bone stock!

check plug coils for spark. does she still have the power she should have? or the spark timming

30mpgs is not really cause for alarm unless bike was getting much better before ?
Popping sound could be due to full exhaust you may have ?
Have you done the 'marble mod' to your airbox or removed pair valve/system to treat this problem of 'popping' ?

Sounds like you got some excessive fuel issues. Could be a multitude of causes. Might be as simple as a faulty ECU. The easiest way to check would be to swap out the ECU or plug in a Power Commander.

Got the ECU Reset to Stock Map... checked allignment..syncd TB... 91 Fuel.... changed sparks... checked for air/vaccum leaks... replaced firlter.... and still getting 30 MPG HWY and Backfires like crazy when rpms are coming down from 5k..... I hear loud POP backfiring noise coming from the engine side as well .. anyone here knows the solution or anything i am missing? Bike is bone stock!

Marble Mod Maybe ?

Last edited:
Not even an aftermarket exhaust?

If you bought second-hand, is it possible that the bike has had a sprocket conversion? - That will affect your mileage and is not something you can easily identify at a glance. Count the teeth in both sprockets.

How many miles on the bike?
What year?

Completely drain the tank and refill with fresh high-test if it's a Gen-II or 87 octane if a Gen-I.

Check oil to see if it's milky at all. Will indicate a blown head gasket.

Check a silly thing like if your TPS is adjusted correctly. Otherwise, the bike may run like crap.

For all who have questions on his stock bike, read his original posting
It's an '06 with probably close to 7K miles on it now and it's stock. We're talking rear fender, reflectors, big cans and like new smell. He's had the TB synced, reset the ECU and checked the TPS.
188192d1274249719-another-proud-owner-busa-hayabusa.jpg

For all who have questions on his stock bike, read his original posting
It's an '06 with probably close to 7K miles on it now and it's stock. We're talking rear fender, reflectors, big cans and like new smell. He's had the TB synced, reset the ECU and checked the TPS.
188192d1274249719-another-proud-owner-busa-hayabusa.jpg

Sorry for asking and not searching all over the org for his other threads. Most people put their information on their profile. It's easier to find that way, his is not there so, take a chill pill dude..... This is why so many people don't answer threads..

Last edited:
The mechanic who worked on my bike says make sure u run 91! I paid him $80 yesterday to reset ECU and check wheel allignment and $300 for TB Sync and running a full diagnose on bike to see for any vaccum leaks

Let me know what you come up with. I put a full exhaust on mine, and blocked the pair valve, and still get a POP on decel if I'm above 4k rpm ?

Back