Craigslist - Scam or wth?

HT_USMC

Registered
Alright, I'm trying to sell my quad core machine for what I feel is fair market value via Craigslist. Now, I've purchased gobs of stuff off of Craigslist but never sold a thing. So I toss the machine and it's specs up on the site and begin to wait.

Within 30 minutes I get the first call, hotdamn! Unfortunately this joker thinks his 4 year old laptop that is selling on eBay (worth $200 on a good day) should make me drop my price by $500. The guy calls a few times and each time he sounds like he just got done running a marathon and pounded back four energy drinks just before the call. He's out of breath but talking like Speedy Gonzales. Move along, nothing to see here.

An hour later I get an email asking if I'd trade it for some electric remote control trucks worth a reported $2000. No, I'm trying to buy a laptop to replace the desktop I'm selling. Thanks but no thanks. I chalk this one up as odd but polite and pleasant.

Finally I get an email from "Sanchez". Good ol' Sanchez. He speaks broken English but says he's willing to pick it up and pay 95% of my asking price. Super! He states that he's concerned about the safety of his money. I offer to meet him in a public place to make the swap as I'm not fond of giving out my home address. Agreed. Good stuff! Then I get this email and I'm stumped...

Oh, please am so sorry to inform you that I could not be able to come as we agreed.I just got a phone call from my office in UK that my present is highly needed as a matter of urgency. So I would not be able to pick it up myself, but we can still do the business. I hope the item is as good as you said because I want to use it as an Easter gift to my lovely son that stays in Africa with my wife who is working in USA embassy in Africa. So please you will assist me in sending the item to my son in Africa once the payment is made. I will pay you the sum of $1070 for both the cost of the item and shipping cost via USPS but you can still find out the actual shipping cost from USPS if you wish. So kindly confirm the information you sent that is your full names and contact address for payment through Western Union Money transfer(Western Union ? Money Transfer ? Quick Collect ? Send Money Online - Telegram - Send Cash) OR Money Order as you may wish. I will forward my son's shipping details to you once I made the payment. Please while shipping the item, use USPS REGISTERED MAIL, because it is cheaper. EMS is costly so do not use so that the fund for shipment will be enough.

Sanchez

All he needed to tell me was that he was a Nigerian Prince and I would have believed that too.???

So, I responded with "Sure send the money via western union" and I'll ship the machine where you want it to go and I'll insure it as well. I gave him the address to the store that he needed to send the western union as well as my name.

Now, my question to you all is this. Does this sound like a scam to you? If it does and it turns out to be, he's got to be the worst scam artist I've seen. He's offering to send money first, if I read that correctly. So, if he sends the cash and I send the machine is there anything I need to be careful of after the fact? The way I look at it is that if I have cash in hand - the deal is as good as done - send the computer. Do you agree?

Last edited:
If it is legit someone has to make the first move. I would use paypal or something but don't we all usually pay first and then wait to receive the goods?

Its a scam. Do Not Use Western Union. Cash or USPS Money Order Only.

Your above scenario is just a slightly modified scam that has been going on for a while. I would keep the sale local, unless he comes up with cash.

Its a scam. Do Not Use Western Union. Cash or USPS Money Order Only.

Your above scenario is just a slightly modified scam that has been going on for a while. I would keep the sale local, unless he comes up with cash.

Craptastic. I was hoping the line "So please you will assist me in sending the item to my son in Africa once the payment is made" meant that it could have been legit.

He seemed fairly responsive via email up until my last email asking him to remit payment to WUnion and I'd ship it. It figures.

Thanks for the feedback and confirming my suspicions.

did alot of research when I had a scammer looking @ one of my ads...even money orders are not foolproof...so if you get one, or a certified check, have your bank check its legitimacy before they cash it, if it's good, then proceed. if it's bad and you cashed it / shipped the merchandise- you have to cover it + you lost your stuff.

Scam. They're just trying to get your full address for other uses. You'll never see anything come to WU for you.

Back