Craftsman Tools

solarbarack

Donating Member
Registered
Ok. their tools are not the greatest, but they do have a great warranty. As for powertools, I've always bought Milwaukee or Bosch. For cordless Rigid. So here it goes my dad bought a craftsman drill back in the early 70's. Back when he bought it, it came with a lifetime warranty. About 8 yrs ago he brought it into Sears and they offered him a replacement, but it only came with a 1yr warranty. He opted to repair his instead. Well now the drill is worn out and they no longer make parts for it. I brought it into Sears, and got a runaround. Today I called corporate, and was told as of 2005 they no longer support the warranty. Well what about where it says lifetime. Too bad the lady said. I wouldn't put up so much fuss about this, except back then he paid hundreds of dollars just for the warranty. So what can he do now. Any ideas? He no longer has the box receipt or warranty card.
Posted via Mobile Device

If Sears fails (which some analysts expect they might) then the warranty is useless anyway. Your dad got 30 years out of that drill - that's pretty dang good. I'd cut my losses they are willing to replace it for free I'd call that a good deal. Odds are it will last longer than a year so in the end your dad got a new drill. I'd count myself lucky.

Craftsman, for the $$, has made a heck of a set of tools. I personally wouldn't want to see Sears fail because Craftsman and Kenmore are why they have alot going for them....

really???

you are complaining about a drill that lasted 30 years.....thats a part of why Sears might not make it thru this economic cluster-****....

crafstman is a great brand. excellent quality, great warranty and a store within a 20 minute drive of just about anyone in civilization. sure a professional might talk of Snap-On or Matco as being better......but those guys trucks never stop at my house. not too mention that added cost.

No they won't even swap it out for another drill anymore. Granted he did get a long time out of it. That is not the point though. He's a mechanic by trade. He probably has easily 20 grand or so wrapped up in tools. Does that mean one day he'll be sol on his tools that make his living too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have always had good luck with Sears.
They had a few big store chains in competition with them up here in Canada:
Woodwards....gone
Eatons....gone
K Mart....gone
Woolco....gone
Hometown....gone
Beaver....gone

I don't think they are doing that because they want to.
I think like a lot of others they are in survival mode.
If you like a store support it by shopping there, and if not shop somewhere else.
The ones that will be left are the ones that most people support.
All of the rest will be gone.
If they are all gone, or all we are left with is Walmart, then we deserve that too.

Last edited:
30 yrs is really dang good, dont think i would be complaining....nothing wrong with Craftsman tools either....

I always thought their warranty was on "hand" tools, not electric. When I lived in Colorado, many of their tools(screwdrivers, etc) were made by Western Forge in Colorado Springs.

One of my buddies said, "Who wants a tool that breaks, even if they give you a new one that breaks"

Always had good luck with craftsman.

wasnt it sears that had the lifetime warranty on car batteries a while back?

I always thought their warranty was on "hand" tools, not electric. When I lived in Colorado, many of their tools(screwdrivers, etc) were made by Western Forge in Colorado Springs.

One of my buddies said, "Who wants a tool that breaks, even if they give you a new one that breaks"

the only craftsman hand tools i have seen break were really due to user error....like using a 3/8 inch ratchet, instead of a 1/2 inch breaker bar...or using standard sockets instead of impact sockets.

He definitely got his moneys worth, I'd just buy a new one an not stress it.

I thought that was on hand tools only. But back then I guess they had it even better. Maybe if you write into Corp. they may do something out of good PR. But it would be hard to "make" them.

MAN they just dont make them like they use to.

Back