Cr9e to cr10e spark plug change tune?

busakiller

Registered
So I swapped plugs in my bike from cr9e to a cr10e and it started to run lean. It’s at less 1 point leaner then it normally was with the old plugs. Is that normal?

With NGK's the number corresponds to the heat range.I believe lower numbers mean they are hotter.So your prob doesn't make sense to me going to a 10 is a colder plug. I THINK. How did you arrive at the diagnosis,that its one point leaner?
Rubb.

So I swapped plugs in my bike from cr9e to a cr10e and it started to run lean. It’s at less 1 point leaner then it normally was with the old plugs. Is that normal?
I'm also not sure that changing plugs could contribute to making a motor run more lean. Changing plugs does not alter the F/A mixture,but it could contribute to how the mixture is burned.
I'm totally looking forward to getting schooled on this from someone with higher intelligence on the topic than me.
Rubb.

With NGK's the number corresponds to the heat range.I believe lower numbers mean they are hotter.So your prob doesn't make sense to me going to a 10 is a colder plug. I THINK. How did you arrive at the diagnosis,that its one point leaner?
Rubb.

I have a wide band sensor and it’s showing that’s it’s running leaner then it did before last year. It’s not just at idle either it’s at like all rpms. The fuel pump and injectors are only 2 years old and maybe have used 40 gallons of fuel. I’m going to put a new set of Cr9e plugs in today and see if anything changes. If nothing changes I’m going to get the injectors cleaned and look at the fuel pump.

I have a wide band sensor and it’s showing that’s it’s running leaner then it did before last year. It’s not just at idle either it’s at like all rpms. The fuel pump and injectors are only 2 years old and maybe have used 40 gallons of fuel. I’m going to put a new set of Cr9e plugs in today and see if anything changes. If nothing changes I’m going to get the injectors cleaned and look at the fuel pump.
So you are positive it started to run leaner the second you changed the plugs...I think coincidence myself.
Rubb.

Update on this. I had my injectors cleaned and they came back fine. The guy that cleaned said that they were a little dirty. But nothing that would effect the tune. I also changed the spark plugs to the oem heat range and put fresh c16 in the bike. Bike runs fine now. I’m going have to say the old c16 was bad or I had a bad plug. I’m going to buy a new set of colder plugs and try this one more time.

Update on this. I had my injectors cleaned and they came back fine. The guy that cleaned said that they were a little dirty. But nothing that would effect the tune. I also changed the spark plugs to the oem heat range and put fresh c16 in the bike. Bike runs fine now. I’m going have to say the old c16 was bad or I had a bad plug. I’m going to buy a new set of colder plugs and try this one more time.

I'd keep the plugs at stock range...if it's running fine, don't mess with it IMO...

Rubb.

[/QUOTE]

changing plug heat cause I have nitrous on the bike. Right now I’m spraying about 85 90 hp on it. I plan on nearly doubling that. So it’s probably a good idea to change plugs to a cold heat.
...Right, forgot about that...

ONLY way it could read leaner now with colder plugs is if now you are getting NONE firing intermittently

that reads lean not rich

Ding ding ding. I was talking to someone yesterday and he said I could of fouled a plug. He said colder plugs do foul easier. Makes total sense now. I put colder plugs in after I put the head back on the motor. I could of fouled the plug on 1st start up.

Back