Couple of newb questions

TX Heat

Registered
I just want to say that this board is the friendliest board I've seen in 10years of normally posting on car boards.

I have a few questions regarding used Hayabusas. When looking for a used bike, assuming I'm looking at a bike that appears to be in good shape, what should I be looking for? Also, how many miles is too many? I've seen a few 25K+ Busas for sale.

One more, is there a sight perhaps that lists year by year, the changes and colors, and what not. I see some bikes listed as "LE" or other things, and I would like to have a clue.

Thanks for the help.

Too much mileage depends on the year as the majority of owners that keep and ride their bikes often have over 30K miles on them. Check chain, rear sprocket and tires along with wear on the fairings. Here's a site with the difference in years: Suzuki Hayabusa 1300R

Welcome to the .Org, and thanks for the compliment
thumb_up.gif

I think that, when buying a used 'Busa, if you're at all concerned about the bike's mechanicals, when you find one you like, take it to a reputable Suzuki dealership and ask for a once-over.

welcome.gif
to the board and thanks for the good words, we are all brothers and sisters on here and the riff raff tend to find the door...as far as mileage, i have almost 24,000 on an '05 and ride with a couple friends who have around 40,000...there are those on here who are closing in on 100,000 miles so it depends a lot on the past owner and how he or she rides and cares for their bike...good luck hunting and hopefully you will find what you are looking for and can come out and join us on some rides
beerchug.gif

Also, check the front forks for leakage.

Check the wear on the tires to be sure it's even. Uneven wear on one side or the other may indicate a bent frame.

Use Carfax to run the Vin # and make sure it hasn't been in a reported accident.

If you can, have a mechanic go through it with a fine-tooth comb. He should pull the plugs and check for fouling, check the air filter to make sure it has been maintained well, check under the sprocket cover for excessive oil leakage, etc., check the condition of the oil . . . . Too many other things to think of.

If you know what to look for, some things can make it obvious if the bike has been abused or not. A mechanic can look for the things which can't be covered up by running it through the bike wash.

Welcome to the world of Busas, though. You'll love it!

--Wag--

Back