Couple gen 2 questions, 2008 vs later models

cyclefarm

Registered
I currently have a 2003 gen 1 hayabusa and really like the bike but it's time for a newer one. When the gen 2s first came out, I hated the new tail. However, in time I've come to like the new tail. Now I think my gen 1 looks big, old and clunky. Anyway, I have a couple questions:

1. Most of the used ones in my price range are 2008 models. Did the 08s have any teething problems like so many first year models do? Any real reason to avoid a low mileage 08 and spend more on a 09-11?

2. I'm going to buy a black bike. It seems both black bikes from 08-09 are black/gray, but the pics I've found the 09 looks "more black" than the 08. Can someone help me here?

3. Seems like there aren't many 2010 models available, why?

4. If I bought a newer black bike with the red graphics, is it true I could pull the red stickers off? Think the paint would look different underneath?

Thanks guys.
Ed in Iowa

I currently have a 2003 gen 1 hayabusa and really like the bike but it's time for a newer one. When the gen 2s first came out, I hated the new tail. However, in time I've come to like the new tail. Now I think my gen 1 looks big, old and clunky. Anyway, I have a couple questions:

1. Most of the used ones in my price range are 2008 models. Did the 08s have any teething problems like so many first year models do? Any real reason to avoid a low mileage 08 and spend more on a 09-11? Nope, the 08 models had no issues aside from a couple minor recalls.

2. I'm going to buy a black bike. It seems both black bikes from 08-09 are black/gray, but the pics I've found the 09 looks "more black" than the 08. Can someone help me here? To me the 08 Black is Grey, but its a really dark Grey.

3. Seems like there aren't many 2010 models available, why? Suzuki didnt import many 2010's to the states.

4. If I bought a newer black bike with the red graphics, is it true I could pull the red stickers off? Think the paint would look different underneath? No sure on that one, but I think you can. Let someone else confirm that. As long as the decals are above the clear coat you can get them off.

Thanks guys.
Ed in Iowa

My answers are bolded.

no problems with the 08.

Suzuki did not import any 2010 Suzuki street bikes at all. Canada got 2010's. usa got the rest of the worlds 2010 colors as 2011's.

The 08 is dark grey with the smaller side piece black. the 09 is all black with the smaller side piece dark gray. the 2011 is all black. I am not 100%, but am pretty sure you could pull all of the red decals off the 2011 and it would be all black. I don't believe their are any decals on the tank under the clear on the 2011. the 08 and 09 have graphics under the clear on the tank.

If you read the post above you have your answers. My cable routing and clutch bolts were fine, and even though I had no issues it took thirty minutes for them to replace the rectifier. Still cranking with the factory battery, 5 1/2 years.

They center punch the VIN tag on the steering neck if the recalls are done.

I got use to the Gen I, after 5 1/2 years and nearly 50K miles I still can't fully use the Gen II :banghead:

Thanks to all who replied. Appreciate it. I will check for the punch mark to verify recalls. Kind of disappointing the 08 is mostly gray but I think that's the bike I'll end up with. Close enough to black I guess. One I'm looking at has under 5k miles and decent price.

I bought a 2011 black and pulled all of the red stickers off with no issues,then a month later replaced them with some matte black I had a friend make up(with some 1340's for the tail section:laugh:).

newbike038.jpg

NewGraphics912002_zps6f75e614.jpg

NewGraphics912005_zps1199591a.jpg

NewGraphics912009_zps027eb1c7.jpg

Camera flash in the second and third pics makes them appear much more obtrusive than they really are.

I also hated the Gen II tail(especially from the sides)when they came out but by 2011 it finally grew on me(looks great from the rear[I think]when you black out those ugly azz turn signals:laugh:).

newbike003-1.jpg

the gen 2s first came out, I hated the new tail. However, in time I've come to like the new tail. Now I think my gen 1 looks big, old and clunky.

Same here but IMO the gen1 is still a great looking bike....maybe still the best looking of the gens. The Gen1 tail won't ever be beaten. BTW, the Gen2 is a little fatter in the side fairings and the nose. (which I like, BTW).

1. ... Did the 08s have any teething problems like so many first year models do? Any real reason to avoid a low mileage 08 and spend more on a 09-11?
Color would be the only reason to go later than 08...unless you were thinking the '12 with Brembo calipers. If you can't get the color you want, check on te price of fairings. I'd guess you can get a whole set from Honda East for about $1500 (talk to Justin tell him you are Hayabusa.org member). Check a good paint shop too. Doubt they will paint cheaper than the cost of new fairings.

2. I'm going to buy a black bike. It seems both black bikes from 08-09 are black/gray, but the pics I've found the 09 looks "more black" than the 08. Can someone help me here?
The 08 is grey. It looks black in outdoor photos. Saw it in a showroom in daylight. Its grey. Not even close to black from what I recollect. The 09, I saw in a showroom and it was black. Pretty sure it is the same paint code as the black pieces on the 08 black and orange. Very nice.

3. Seems like there aren't many 2010 models available, why?
???

4. If I bought a newer black bike with the red graphics, is it true I could pull the red stickers off? Think the paint would look different underneath?
The stickers should be removable with the help of a heat gun. I don't think they will peal right off like a banana sticker. I'm sure if there is a slight residue line left where the edges of the stickers were,you could polish that right off. WOrst case, you need to a mild abbrasive polish like 3M scratch and swirl Remover. I go over my bike at least 1x per year with that stuff anyway....good stuff. It take care of any slight swirl that had not developed on the areas that were not protected by the stickers if that was even noticeable.

Thanks guys.
Ed in Iowa

Welks, man.

I also hated the Gen II tail(especially from the sides)when they came out but by 2011 it finally grew on me(looks great from the rear[I think]when you black out those ugly azz turn signals).
+1

before
P1040812.jpg

AFTER
sweetass.jpg

The 09s and 11s paint is called pearl nebular black. If you look at it in bright light you will see blue metalflake in it but it always looks black. Pretty cool color. The 09s have the color changing Kanji on the sides which some people hate but I like a lot. Gets lots of compliments.

I had an 08 for years.
I like black too, but I loved the grey.
I think Phantom grey is the color's name, and it's metallic.
All the decals/stickers can be removed, with the exception of the stripe on the tank, as it's under the clearcoat.
I removed the factory gold kanjis on the fairings and replaced them with a grey very close to the factory paint.
I swapped the chrome Suzuki S on the tank for matte black, as well as the gsx1300r on the tail(and changed them to 1340).
I also changed the front/rear signals to smoked and got a smoked led taillight.
I like the blacked out lenses for them too, but thought the smoked looked better on the grey.
I painted the gas cap black, put on black Vortex rearsets, and had the passenger pegs powdercoated. And a few other small parts blacked.
I think making everything that wasn't black, black, and getting rid of the gold kanjis really changed the look of the grey 08.
The metallic in the grey paint is just grey too. I like the later models black paint, but don't like the blueish purple sparkle when the sun hits them. Kinda defeats the purpose of being blacked out to me. But just my 2 cents.

SDC11701.jpg

SDC10550.jpg

SDC10558.jpg

SDC10559.jpg

Thanks for the pics, helps a lot. Pretty cool graphics on the black bike, way better than the red ones. I'm hopeful if I buy a '11 with red graphics that the paint won't be faded around the graphics when I pull them.

The black out taillights and turn signals look cool, but I wonder if they cut down on visibility to cars? And, I'd probably get a ticket here in Iowa with those?

I decided to back out on the 08, just didn't feel right. I think I want a 4-1 full system and would be cheaper to find a bike with one already.

I have to do some research on power commanders. I'm wondering if for a stock bike with 4-1 exhaust that a PC5 will be good enough. I'm more interested in a good running reliable engine than squeezing the last bit of HP out of it.

Will keep you posted on what I end up with. I think I'll be happy with either black or gray.

Thanks for the pics, helps a lot. Pretty cool graphics on the black bike, way better than the red ones. I'm hopeful if I buy a '11 with red graphics that the paint won't be faded around the graphics when I pull them.

The black out taillights and turn signals look cool, but I wonder if they cut down on visibility to cars? And, I'd probably get a ticket here in Iowa with those?

I decided to back out on the 08, just didn't feel right. I think I want a 4-1 full system and would be cheaper to find a bike with one already.

I have to do some research on power commanders. I'm wondering if for a stock bike with 4-1 exhaust that a PC5 will be good enough. I'm more interested in a good running reliable engine than squeezing the last bit of HP out of it.

Will keep you posted on what I end up with. I think I'll be happy with either black or gray.

The black out lenses do make the lights less visible.
The smoked turn signals lights appear just the same as stock.
The smoked led taillight is as bright or brighter than stock, and the leds are much more eye catching to the idiot behind you that's about to run you over.
The powercommander is fine to tune with, but look into ecu flashing with ecu editor.

One larger dealer by me sold almost 200 2008 busas. When the economy tanked along with the ability to obtain financing, he was only able to sell about five 2009's. They had so many 2009's left over that they never imported 2010's into the country. All of the gen 2's are good.

I'll check out the smoked LEDs then.

That's an interesting fact, never thought about the economy being the reason there's hardly any used 2010 bikes out there, thanks!

Gonna look at a 2011, black w/red graphics tomorrow, hope it's a good one.

Oh yes they DO and OH YES, you will.

I have not been stopped for taillights out yet but in the day, I have had other riders signal me and point to my tail. You cannot see the tail running light on a sunny day and pretty hard to notice the brake light come on too. I have the Yana Shiki black out tail.....I do not recall if the rear directional lenses were included as a kit or if those were separate but the directionals, you can see better in daylight. It looks very cool as you can see from the pics. Illumination is just fine at night but that tail light is almost BLACK on a sunny day.

Good choice with the 4-2-1. lighter than slipons and better performance. Often, not a lot more expensive than slipons. You may not find the exact exhaust you want with the exact bike but if it's cheap, almost any used 4-2-1 is better than slipons or the stock system. You get a used one already installed, and you should expect to pay half price if it is in new or like new condition. If they want more tell them to remove the OEM exhaust and you'll take the bike + OEM exhaust (might consider telling the seller to reinstall the OEM exhaust for/with you if you think that will motivate him to sell the bike as is). Then buy a good used exhaust ASAP that is the exact brand you want.

The PC5 will be great I have one on my 14 for 4 years and have had no problems with it at all. It is a beech to install inline plugs between main harness and ECU on a 14 but I think the busa install is a lot easier.

I LOVE my Bazzaz I have on my busa. Controls all 8 injectors. ...I doubt that makes much dif in the real world but I like knowing all 8 are mapped for. PC5 will control the 4 main injectors on a SUz....or you can map all 8 if you use two PCs. Bazzaz has a wonderful Quickshifter and TC + Fueling....expensive but very nice!

i am from iowa as well. I havent ever gotten a ticket for black outs when i had them on my 11 or my 02. I have an 08 now and love it. I havent blacked them out yet on the 08 though i may. What part of iowa are you hanging in?

Well I bought a 2011 black with red graphics. Gonna remove the graphics, maybe replace with gray or silver (or chrome like my 03). I won't have it home until Jan 18. Will post pics when I get it!

It doesn't have the seat "hump", bummer. I see 2008-2011 black bikes are pearl nebular black. I assume this means the black hump from a 2008 black/orange will match my paint?

Viperwhitebusa, I live near Humboldt, in flat square north central Iowa. I see you're near the Missouri River, nice! Love those hills over there.

Nope, bought a used 2011 with 3000 mi and full system Yosh, PC5, and Venture rack. Somehow the hump got lost. I've got a lead on a black hump from a 2008 black/orange, I think it's the right color. Thanks and I'm pretty pumped but here in N Iowa I won't get to ride it until March or so. Got lots of time to "prep" it!

Back