Counter Steering

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
There was a great explanation of counter steering. Press down on the right bar to go right, etc. But why is it called countersteering. I read a different explanation and someone was saying to turn the bars to the left to go right. This made no sense at all to me, but if you called that counter steering, the name would make sense.

One thing is it is the difference between riding a bicycle and a motorcycle...

bicycle you turn the handle bars, that point the wheel in the direction you want to go

motorcycle (above ~20mph) you press the grip on the side you want the bike to go. The wheel actually turns in the opposite direction

biggrin.gif

Just try turning the handlebars left (carefully) when you're travelling at highway speeds sometime. The bike will go to the right. Pressing down on the handlebar accomplishes the same thing, hence the name.

Counter steering starts around 25mph and depends on the motocycle. Just get going around 30 mph and steer left, you will go right. Then steer right, you will go left. If you train yourself to remember and ride like this, when you find yourself in a panic, usually in a turn, you will go the right direction and not hasten your own crash. You have been countersteering everytime you were on a motorcycle and just never realized it, your mind adapts and just makes the moves without you thinking about it.
smile.gif

Think of it as "counter-intuitive", because it defies the "conventional" logic of turning the wheel in the direction you want to go.

Just a thought folks, not a big deal but it could really save your ass and is something to think about.

BUT you do not push DOWN on the right or left bar to turn, you really need to focus on pushing the bar forward left or right. You'll find that the bike is much more responsive and easier to Countersteer this way. It's important on the Busa but critical on some the 600s and Litre bikes because of the riding position and clip-on placement. By pushing down your really using a bunch of effort for nothing, instead actually focus on moving that bar forward, get a little lower on the controls, make certain your not carrying your weight on the bars, and give it a try, you might be surprised.

Counter steering starts around 25mph and depends on the motocycle. Just get going around 30 mph and steer left, you will go right. Then steer right, you will go left. If you train yourself to remember and ride like this, when you find yourself in a panic, usually in a turn, you will go the right direction and not hasten your own crash. You have been countersteering everytime you were on a motorcycle and just never realized it, your mind adapts and just makes the moves without you thinking about it.
smile.gif
Well said, it is especially important that you realize that this is how you turn. It can be the difference in avoiding something or inadvertantly steering right into it...

Think of it this way. Motorcycles (at speed) need to LEAN to turn. By countersteering, you are initiating the lean.

I find pushing down is the most intuitive, since you tend to push down in the direction you lean anyway. It's doing the same thing (turning the wheel slightly left or right), it just feels more natural.

smile.gif
Well said, it is especially important that you realize that this is how you turn.  It can be the difference in avoiding something or inadvertantly steering right into it...

Think of it this way.  Motorcycles (at speed) need to LEAN to turn.  By countersteering, you are initiating the lean.
Another good point to remember about the bike leaning to turn. When the bike leans to turn the top of the bike momentarily stays where it is when the turn is initiated and the wheels underneath the bike pivot outward from that top axis. This is important to remember if you are near the edge of a road in a turn or trying to avoid something. Example: if you were in a left hand corner to hot and were at the right edge of the pavement the normal counter steering manuever (turn right to go left) could move your wheels off of the pavement and into the gravel/dirt in it's effort to start you moving farther left. Stuff to think about.
smile.gif

smile.gif

OK, I tried pressing out lightly and the bike leans perfectly, just as you guys say. It will take forever for me to do this instinctively after 30 years of just leaning in the direction I want to go. It feels a little strange in that it leans and I have to follow instead of I lean and it follows. It's cool learning new stuff though. Countersteering seems to be quicker and to cause a more aggressive lean more quickly.

as the tires wear the ease of it falling into a turn will decrease... New tires make it a thrill again.

I just ordred my second set of Continental ForceMAX skins. Get'm on Wednesday.
cool.gif

Back