Counter-steering

im2fast4uguys

Registered
While some of you will know about this method of steering, others won't have even heard of it.
Counter-steering : Press the handlebar in the opposite direction you want to turn. For example, you are making a right turn...push the right handlebar away from you...the bike will steer really quickly to the right and drop right into the corner....for a left turn push the left handlebar.
You should practice this on an empty road or parking lot before you use the method on the road...it's really effective but not the normal way most people steer....It may sound a little dumb, but trust me, it really does work...try it !!

even better is adjust your suspension and your Busa will hadle like 150% better
all it takes is like 5 minutes and acouple of clicks

Actually this is the way you have always steered a motorcycle you just never knew it. At approx. 25mph, this varies, your steering changes from steering to counter steering. You don't really have a choice in the matter of whether you do this or not, if you don't believe that try taking a corner at speed and actually steering through it instead of counter steering. Don't know the physics of it but has something to do with mass, momentum, and the gyroscopic effect of the spining wheels.
smile.gif

This post was started in "rider skills" to inform people who didn't know about counter-steering,...(i.e.I thought to share the little I knew with others).
If you have information about  suspension set-up please share it with us....coz I for one am a complete "know-nothing" when it comes to suspension...and any info would be greatly appreciated...
My current setup is bog std factory settings.. I am 5'9"...185 lbs, and ride the road only...suggestions please?

yea, in my age group most everyone I know rides harleys. When we discussed this in detail last year they were absolutely flabergasted.
argue.gif
damn rookies.
biggrin.gif

I am 5'9"...185 lbs, and ride the road only...
Hey dude i dont think anyone here rides the busas off road. but hey ya learn something new every day. I have a book on suspension set up but its all greek to me. Its in cycle world or motorcycleist

JC, share some suspension setting recommendations. 6'5" 180lbs of agressive riding, wheelies and twisties.
smile.gif
mostly twisties.
tounge.gif

Suspension settings.. Also varies with road conditions..but the basic theory..is...Have both front and rear settings at the
least possible compression damping...If in your area you never bottom out.....in a dip or hard bump in the road....you may decrease comp damping... Now rebound on the other hand..theory is..using the most that you can use..front and rear. Spring preload is another important issue...first...If i remember correctly..is measuring "SAG" which is done while stationary.. [one inch] seems rule of thumb...using a tape measure...takes two people.---While you hold the bike up--not sitting on the seat...try to extend the forks till it tops out-as in pulling up on the handle bars..have person two measure
axle to fork seal distance....now slam your weight into the seat..hold the front brake and push on the bars..let go of the front brake...sit still still and have person two measure again..
axle to fork seal.. 1" is good..adjust preload as needed. Same thing for the rear shock...pull up on something...measure from axle nut to some thing..and try to get the 1" back there--adjust the spring collars..not fun..Ok now....rebound again--
If you were able to get the comp damping in the ballpark..
as you ride your normal routine...hitting bumps midcorner..
Feel if the suspension rebounds too quick.....pogo effect..
is not desired..adjust rebound stiffer...I have only adjusted my rear shock 2 clicks harder on the rear--rebound to compensate for wear at 18K miles...If you have too much rebound damping ....you will feel the bike [packing down] and give a very rough ride...All this is tricky...
Now i must add..a few years ago Sport Rider Magazine..did a test on our awsome Busa...and printed the settings they came up with..I have used them since i first got mine almost three years ago..I tried to find the magazine..and will keep looking for it..and i will post what they wrote....Rider weight is an issue..i weigh probably 160 with all my gear on....but the basic theory is what i said...Don't do it all at once..1st [sag]
Then comp damping---then rebound.. Be safe all..a Busa can handle real sweet when dialed in..especially when lowerd 3/4".

Cool Thank you Pace for saving me Typing. Very cool.
I ususally start in the front by turning in the compression on the forks all the way in and then bacvk out 4 clicks and the rebound all in then back out 2 clicks preload is that preload. on the back I would need you here but for the front that is a good place to start

Counter steering will also save your but mid corner,great adjustment tech.When you find yourself drifting more than you cared to an additional touch of counter steer will help draw you back into the corner where you want to be.Small adjustments of counter steering have a great impact.

Back