Counter steering vs. Trail braking

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
PM -->
Revolution @ Nov. 23 2007 said:
1228165[/ATTACH] PM]
i'd believe as stated it would slip at the extreme.
Hate to be the Bearer of BAD NEWS
whistling.gif
, but PAST the extreme they ALL slide out from under you (words from EXPERIENCE
sad.gif
). The Front first sometimes
winkold.gif
, the Rear sometimes  
sadnews.gif
and BOTH at the sametime sometimes  
wowold.gif
. All are exciting, but NOT ADVISED  
laugh.gif
well folks?....on a brighter note?....i would like to interject the following statement based on my many years of debating "individual riding technic"...and the upside to all this banter is this...

open minds and discussion concerning skill and technic does not necessarily mandate that the street rider (or track rider) immediately start attempting to drag a knee through every corner to try/test/prove-out these discussed riding technics...as it's these very lessons we all gleen and learn from that can help us all to become better...(dare i say)...."safer"....far more skilled riders...as follows the thought that one NOT NEED to haul azz nor?..."ride it like ya stole it"...to practice, try-out or incorporate these very valuable technics on the street...safely...and?..actually benefit from such thereby becoming a more competent and?...safer rider.

I do my best to practice and use ALL TECHNICS at all times...as you don't hafta be going around every corner full pancake at the speed of light...but you can still apply the same basic sound principles of sound riding technics...even if ya ain't haul'in azz...and?...

The end result is this...bad habits are hard to break...and if you constantly ride sloppy and careless because your going so slow that it doesn't require any technic or skill?...and sound riding technics are rarely put into practice?...how well will you handle the dangerous situations that crop up from time to time and rear their ugly head on the street?..will you be able to succesfully evade an unwary cager that pulled out in front of you?...how well will you handle that decrasing radius curve you over-cooked a tad with your technic-less, un-practiced, near non-existant riding skills?...and btw?...where's the big street riding guru to point out the fact that...

"you CAN apply and practice all these technics while riding within respectable and sane limits"

i.e. your bike does not hafta be at a 50deg angle of lean to brake into the apex of a curve any more than it does to accelerate out of it...and ALL of these technics can be applied and/or tested with every turn you take..as you practice holding a good, clean, "smooth" (damn...there's that word again! LOL!) line with every curve you take...and it's called..."Good Practice"...of?.."Good Habits"...which in turn creates..highly skilled safe and competent riders that CAN get themselves out of a pickle shouild the need arise....as their skills become automatic...as they take every curve thrown at them like a pro who's paying attention through every turn..no matter how fast or slow.

JMHO and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

You are correct, Jinks. You can apply correct techniques while going quite slow. Draggin' knee can be accomplished at 20mph in a parking lot. Proper riding position, balance, control, smoothness . . . the works are all required just as out on the street or on the track.

From there, it's a question of gradually working up to speed. The track is the best place for working it up to a high speed while practicing. Street practice should be done much more gradually which is why it should take longer to learn it on the street than on the tracks.

--Wag--

man great info all.

i went for a spin here in NY, about 50deg today. took it easy with the roads cold [check out "hot tires cold road thread i posted re: traction] but i did pay attention to the bikes reaction when i used my head low and up front to steer. the bike did respond to the input JUST from my head positioning. i checked this technique out while just cruising on a straight road about 45mph...as frankenstein said in van helsig "i want to livvve"

mannn jinks you said it.

wag: "cruiser holding on for dear life" HA!

You are correct, Jinks.  You can apply correct techniques while going quite slow.  Draggin' knee can be accomplished at 20mph in a parking lot.  Proper riding position, balance, control, smoothness . . . the works are all required just as out on the street or on the track.

From there, it's a question of gradually working up to speed.  The track is the best place for working it up to a high speed while practicing.  Street practice should be done much more gradually which is why it should take longer to learn it on the street than on the tracks.  

--Wag--
yup

FWIW, a lot of the same techniques you use to ride a bike also apply to riding horses, obvious differences apply. The most notable similarity is, "Look where you want to go."

I see more cruiser riders holding on for dear life than I can count. The thing is, the techniques for turning cruisers aren't all the different, again, some differences apply. It's just that nobody ever teaches 'em how.

--Wag--

Back