Couldn't sleep.... so I finally removed my wheels!

TurboSN95

Registered
As I'm laying in bed at 4:30am, I got up and wrenched on the bike so I can finally get my new Dunlop Qualifiers installed. I took both wheels off for the first time, and it took me about an hour, including the time it took to find two nuts/bolts in my bin of misc hardware to "make" my front axle removal tool. Wasn't bad at all. Now the bike looks like its floating in mid-air!

I do have a couple questions though, for the installers of the tires.

a) Do I need to remove the rotors from the wheels. I'm not sure if they can mount/balance tires with the rotors in place??? I didn't think so.

b) The cush-drive-rubbers: Do they need to come out or stay in place for balancing? I am planning on replacing them when my new ones arrive.

I'm so psyched right now, because I'm finally ditching these stock junk tires. I got the bike last year with 357 miles, and its an '03. The previous owner had the bike sitting and I think a lot of my "cornering" issues is due to the tires sitting for so long. I almost think they are dry rotted or just "not right".

P5140023__Large_.JPG

I leave the rotors and the sprocket drive on when I bring mine to balance them.I mount my own at work and the bring them to new haven powersports to balance them.I belive they use the spacers to hold them to the balance machine with the cones on the machine shaft.I think you will like the dunlop Q's.I know everyone there and they take good care of me.If you ever need any tires mounted PM me.I also see you are on bandofriders.I see a yzf in the pic.Do you dirt ride also?If so we try to go every wed eve in middletown if you like wood's ridin.

Thanks for the info Mike,

Yeah i'm on Bandofriders and Mr Kurtz from Cycle Gear is going to do the mounting/balancing. Seems like a real cool guy and is doing them for free, as long as I buy my tires from him next time. The price I paid was decent but for about $25 more I could have gotten them from him with the free mounting and balancing, so next time he has my business. I put the old tires/wheels in my car, along with the sprocket and that cover, and an allen wrench in case they wanted the rotors off.

And that is an '06 YZ250F in the background, I am new to the mx-scene so I'm still learning! Just went to the Thomaston Dam a couple weekends ago and had fun in the mud, the ruts kick my @ss though!!! So nervous going through those things. Where do you go in M-Town? Private property or "wherever" ?
beerchug.gif

I usually take the cush drive out - mostly because I dont want em to fall out and get lost while they have the wheels.

when i recently did mine i only brought the wheel,they suggested i bring it back (which i did) with the rotors on the front to have it balanced....rear wheel was naked.

btw,the #'s were the same with rotors and without,but they were brand new galfer wave rotors,dont know if it would make a difference if they had some wear on them,maybe if the wear was uneven...dont know though.

Back