Could this be?

aussiekeeper

Registered
Cleaned the chain tonight. I measured it after the clean and lube. 21 pins and it measured 12 9/16" ,,just under. The bike has only 4,000 miles on it and I don't do burnouts or holeshots. Looks like it needs to be replaced already????

Wow, if that is true, that is not good for me. I'm getting ready to do my 4000 miles service tomorrow so I'll measure then. We seem to have similar riding styles so I know you didn't ride hard for those 4000 miles. :beerchug:

What are some of the other guys getting for milage on their bike? How do you ride and how often do you go through chains?

9k on my 08... nice and clean and no problems! on my stock 02 1k I went 22k before replacing it... some track days on it too!

I think most people don't actually measure their chain stretch and assume that they have "no problems". When in reality their chain is way past its service limit.

When's the last time you've measured yours?????

I have to admit it, I have never measured a chain. I ride hard at times, over 8K on my '08. Adjusted it after changing the rear tire at 5K. Still have plenty of adjust left. On the '06 I didn't clean and wax my chain but a few times and got 19K out of it. I pay a lot more attention to it now. Wouldn't mind getting over 20K out of the stocker. Time will tell.

So, is it possible I have measured wrong? I counted 21 pins and measured center to center to arrive at the result. Correct??

I have to admit it, I have never measured a chain. I ride hard at times, over 8K on my '08. Adjusted it after changing the rear tire at 5K. Still have plenty of adjust left. On the '06 I didn't clean and wax my chain but a few times and got 19K out of it. I pay a lot more attention to it now. Wouldn't mind getting over 20K out of the stocker. Time will tell.

I got 18k out of my Gen 1 stock chain.

I replaced my stock gen1 chain at 21k and change. Never measured it, but i only had maybe 3/16th or less of adjustment left.

So, is it possible I have measured wrong? I counted 21 pins and measured center to center to arrive at the result. Correct??

Very easy to measure a chain incorrectly...easiest way to tell the difference is lay it out flat next to a new chain~!~

Look at the difference in length and also difference in play from side to side...

Also, make sure any play on the pins is stretched out, but usually the side by side test is pretty obvious~!~

Last edited:
Very easy to measure a chain incorrectly...easiest way to tell the difference is lay it out flat next to a new chain~!~

Look at the difference in length and also difference in play from side to side...

Also, make sure any play on the pins is stretched out, but usually the side by side test is pretty obvious~!~

Now you've got me thinking! I'm going out today and cut my chain off my bike to PROPERLY measure it!

:poke:

In my experience, most chains don't wear evenly. They usually develop "tight" spots that really aren't tight spots at all. Picking a section of chain and measuring it is not the whole story. You also need to spin the wheel and make sure that the chain play is constant along the whole length. What you will frequently find is that one section will have more play than the rest. If you adjust at the loose spot, you'll be too tight at the tight spot and vise versa. The proper way to check the chain is along the the entire length. I'm kind of tough on chains and replace them twice a season; as soon as I fine a loose spot, off it comes.

In my experience, most chains don't wear evenly. They usually develop "tight" spots that really aren't tight spots at all. Picking a section of chain and measuring it is not the whole story. You also need to spin the wheel and make sure that the chain play is constant along the whole length. What you will frequently find is that one section will have more play than the rest. If you adjust at the loose spot, you'll be too tight at the tight spot and vise versa. The proper way to check the chain is along the the entire length. I'm kind of tough on chains and replace them twice a season; as soon as I fine a loose spot, off it comes.

:thumbsup: Great Info Draco, thank you ! :beerchug:

mine went in trash when the "surge" started from bound link... it was near the end of the adjustments too...

14k?

got EKZZZ chain and killed an AFAM and Vortex Sprocket in under 8k (not compatible with EKZZZ chain according to Vortex)...

Went with SuperSprox tri-metal and it has been perfect ever since... great combo..

Back