Could It Be ????

Mike Chambers

Registered
Possibly

3855317e8fff3c61edcb408d0ec0a021.jpg

I hope the next new busa has some kind of double wishbone front end which will put a end to fork seal maintenance :thumbsup:

From a feel standpoint, Forks are still the best option - that's why you don't see that sort of stuff on race bikes. Ever ride a BMW K1200? The wishbones do separate the forces (braking & turning, no dive) but they also have an annoying ambiguous feel. It sort of feels like the tire is worn. I have heard wishbones are lighter but they also clutter up the area where the Turbo guys will want room. Now if they went to a steerable front wheel...........

fallenarch I hear you but the busa is not exactly a small bike yes I have ridden my mates BMW with the wishbone set up rides and handle great just my OP but I think the wishbone system suits more bigger lager bikes and if it ends up on the new busa for me anyway it would be in the right direction :thumbsup:

fallenarch I hear you but the busa is not exactly a small bike yes I have ridden my mates BMW with the wishbone set up rides and handle great just my OP but I think the wishbone system suits more bigger lager bikes and if it ends up on the new busa for me anyway it would be in the right direction :thumbsup:

Not to be argumentative, but some of us simply must have the last word Busafan08, Lol!

So the Busa is not a "big" bike. Bikes like the Goldwing and the HD road glide are big bikes in the sense that they actually handle differently due to their size, weight and ground clearance. The Busa was not designed to go straight fast, it was designed as a capable sport touring street bike that also goes really, really fast straight. So while heavy, the methodology for turning a Busa is still pretty much the same as a sportbike. Of course a sportbike can turn inside a Busa because it's lighter and the earth sucks it less, but the riding position of both riders will be pretty similar. That's really the magic of the Busa BTW, the aggressive riding position and handling (relative to say a ZX14) is sporty.

I promise there is a point, stay with me!

So if we can call the Busa a "sporty bike", it turns by leaning (like in excess of 15-20 degrees lean). Anyway, when forks lean they flex side to side, not as much up and down in a turn. BMW's Duolever system (upper/lower wishbones with monoshock) is actually stiffer in the side to side direction, so the more the bike leans, the less feel you get. Also, forks compress under braking into a turn. Bikes turn better with shorter forks as this moves weight forward and quickens turn in (reduces trail). The Duolever isolates braking and turning forces so you don't get this helpful change in the bikes geometry. Am I saying the BMW system sucks? Not at all (ok maybe a little). The feeling you get when you hop off a Busa (even one with Ohlins) and jump on a K1300 is incredible stability. But get the bike over on it's side and the front end feels like a worn front tire - sort of a lose, ambiguous feel. That's why racers don't use wishbone systems and that's why BWM doesn't use it on their own sportbike.

So I would hope the Generation 3 does not abandon proven high end handling configurations for setups with the Duolever's very touring bias. See, I did have a point after all!

Back