Correct Tire Pressure

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
Just curious if anyone drops tire psi on their Busas this time of year, would this improve traction at all with the road temps being so cold right now? Currently running 42 psi front & rear Dunlop Qualifers.

I do, by dropping PSI your tires will warm-up faster. They will wear a little faster, but I don't care about that as much as having hot tires on a cold road.

42 psi is WAY too high at any temp. I run PP 2ct's at F35 R36 in warm weather for "casual" riding, lower for special circumstances. If tire mileage is a concern than your riding the wrong machine
laugh.gif

I run 35 / 36 all year long. Nothing abnormal. Better warmup, and tracking at speed, especially cold. 42 to me is too hard for anything but straight / interstate two-up.

Merry Christmas.

42 psi is WAY too high at any temp. I run PP 2ct's at F35 R36 in warm weather for "casual" riding, lower for special circumstances. If tire mileage is a concern than your riding the wrong machine  
laugh.gif
Then why is that what Suzuki, the people that MADE the bike, say to put in them? Call me crazy, but I'd trust the designers of the machine before some number I randomly decide is better. . .

I run the 42 psi at all times which as stated already is what zuk calls for. It may not really make a great deal of diff overall but since im no expert i will stick with factory settings on this one.

PP 2CT's F-35 R-36
Suzuki doesn't ride like I do
Very few stay with the stock tires when they are gone.

Factory recommended tire pressures always error to the safe side. You must consider total weight of the bike AND rider, and the type of riding they are doing. And lets not forget rider preferred 'feel' of the bike, no 2 people are alike.

The harder you ride, the more tire buildup you get as tires heat up. 42psi maybe fine for your average rider who Suzuki thinks will be riding the speed limit.

Flip side, my rider buddy and track coach's suggested starting pressures for a track day are too low for me. I don't like how the bike feels for the first laps till the tire warms up. Adding just 1 psi to the front, and I'm in MY confort zone. (I run 30/31 cold pressures on the 750 for a track day and an additional 1 or 2 psi for street duty.)

Over inflating the tires DOES reduce grip by reducing the contact patch. 35/36 seems to be where I like the busa.

Almost forgot, I keep the same pressures all year around.

Yes, the factory 42psi will Suzuki's butt no matter what in a court of law. I'll go 42psi in the rear if I'm packing double but other wise that's waaaay too much air pressure. I run 36F/37R year around.
ThumbsUp.gif

I'd say that the pressures listed by Suzuki are recommendations for optimal performance of the stock tires under certain conditions.

Intelligent motorcyclists should do what is best for themselves and their bikes, as no one will suffer the consequences except him/her.

In this case, physics has shown us that more rubber on the road (read: lower tire pressure) translates to more traction. In colder weather, this is safer because the riding surface is different than when the warmer ambient temps allow quicker stickier.

My .02.

Do what you will, but don't say that this item was never discussed.

Thanks, Charles. Good advice.

Then why is that what Suzuki, the people that MADE the bike, say to put in them?  Call me crazy, but I'd trust the designers of the machine before some number I randomly decide is better. . .
You mean you've never even tried changing the tire pressure to see how it felt/rode/handled? Man, that owner's manual is chock full of legal disclaimers and the tire pressure recomendations are one of them. The whole thing was written by a guy with a corporate lawyer hanging over each shoulder "advising" him on how to word it to cover the Mother Ship's ass.
Let a little of that air out of them and you might be surprized at the improvement in traction, handling, and general feel of the bike. Experiment, it's all part of the fun of having the bike.
biggrin.gif

of all the bikes I have ridden, this is the first bike that made me nervous on cold pavement..

softer tire, lower pressure and lots of discretion when whacking the throttle open when the asphalt is below about 50 degrees for me.. that first time the back end jumps out from under you is a rude awakening to lousy traction..

laugh.gif
Then why is that what Suzuki, the people that MADE the bike, say to put in them?  Call me crazy, but I'd trust the designers of the machine before some number I randomly decide is better. . .
I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wanted to point something out to you. If you look in the manual it calls for 42psi when riding alone. When riding a passenger, it calls for ... 42psi.

That right there should tell you something.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wanted to point something out to you. If you look in the manual it calls for 42psi when riding alone. When riding a passenger, it calls for ... 42psi.

That right there should tell you something.
Yep, it tells me something! It tells me that you are a really well schooled biker who has a 350 pound pantyless woman you ride two up on the rear which indeed does require supstantially more air pressure than the rest of us!
tounge.gif

Your suzuki owners manual also recommends you run only Suzuki's dino oil. Would you never run synthetic oil in your scooter? How about your suspension? Would you never change your suspension settings from Suzuki's recommended factory settings?

Run whatever tire pressure you feel good with. Apparently you aren't spanking your busa enough for it to make a difference. However, the more you improve the more you'll understand why proper suspension settings and tire pressure is vitally important.

Here is a little something you can dwell on while your considering what the proper tire pressure should be for your application. Tire pressure is simply a thermostat for controling tire temperature. Every tire has it's optimum temperature to produce maximum grip and performance. At 42psi you will never generate enough heat to reach a performance tires optimum temp. However, you can ride your OEM tire at high speeds (42psi)all day and keep the tire cool which extends life.

I hope this helps you understand why your owners manual recommends 42 psi. If you have no clue how to regulate your tire pressures for different applications, then 42 psi is indeed proper for you.

Then why is that what Suzuki, the people that MADE the bike, say to put in them? Call me crazy, but I'd trust the designers of the machine before some number I randomly decide is better. . .
You mean you've never even tried changing the tire pressure to see how it felt/rode/handled? Man, that owner's manual is chock full of legal disclaimers and the tire pressure recomendations are one of them. The whole thing was written by a guy with a corporate lawyer hanging over each shoulder "advising" him on how to word it to cover the Mother Ship's ass.
Let a little of that air out of them and you might be surprized at the improvement in traction, handling, and general feel of the bike. Experiment, it's all part of the fun of having the bike.
biggrin.gif
I think your caution before making fundamental changes is good...

I have seen posts that change factory suggested specs in rather nonchalant terms.. (and some not so good)

no point in degrading or making fun of such caution in my book... 1 or 2 psi changes are pretty safe as a rule .

Keep in mind that yes 42 psi is suggested level, but they are also very aware that many (if not most) riders do not check their tires very often. That 42 will turn out to be in the mid 30's by the time many get around to a tire check..

If you run reduced pressures, ABSOLUTELY check your tire pressures before every ride...

biggrin.gif
I think your caution before making fundamental changes is good...

I have seen posts that change factory suggested specs in rather nonchalant terms.. (and some not so good)

no point in degrading or making fun of such caution in my book...  1 or 2 psi changes are pretty safe as a rule .

Keep in mind that yes 42 psi is suggested level, but they are also very aware that many (if not most) riders do not check their tires very often. That 42 will turn out to be in the mid 30's by the time many get around to a tire check..  

If you run reduced pressures,  ABSOLUTELY check your tire pressures before every ride...
+1
thumb_up.gif

Hi Gene, I see your post went from a lower pressure during cold weather subject to a battle of personal preferences
argue.gif
Maybe something to try would be go out for a ride someday starting a max and drop it a pound or two here and there and see how it feels, maybe question what the safest "low pressure" would be for that specific brand/make and model of tire your using.

If it's cold out, don't trust anything. I entered the freeway the other night, low 50's, not in a lean - was strait up and down with WARM tires, hit second and nailed it and she broke loose. I can only assume it being less traction in a lean on a roadway that had collected some moisture. I do know for a fact that the number one cause of tire failure for all vehicles is improper inflation, not saying high or low, saying improper and I'm sure that varies with who makes it and what model?

And the number cause of falling from a freeway billboard is gazing at other motorcycles on the freeway
rofl.gif

I never go over 38/38 or under 34/36.One pressure setting for one person maybe way off for another.Doesn't mean it's wrong,he or she may like a differant feel.

I never go over 38/38 or under 34/36.One pressure setting for one person maybe way off for another.Doesn't mean it's wrong,he or she may like a differant feel.
+1

I run the factory recommended settings... have been for so long now that i can tell when my back tire is low by 2lbs. Anything at 40 or below and my bike feels (to me anyway) that i have a flat. Dont like that squishy feeling when i'm going around corners...

Back