Cornering Quiz! Who has more lean angle?

How this all works:

Any single track vehicle, motorcycle or bicycle is subject to the laws of physics.

A Harley, a busa, and a sportsbike traveling at 50mph in a 200 foot radius turn MUST ALL have an EFFECTIVE lean angle of exactly 39.95 degrees.

The laws of physics applies the same to all motorcycles no matter size, make or model.

How this all works:

Any single track vehicle, motorcycle or bicycle is subject to the laws of physics.

A Harley, a busa, and a sportsbike traveling at 50mph in a 200 foot radius turn MUST ALL have an EFFECTIVE lean angle of exactly 39.95 degrees.

The laws of physics applies the same to all motorcycles no matter size, make or model.

You changed the rules and threw in the word "EFFECTIVE", which wasn't part of your original question. Care to explain?

If the contact points were the same I'd agree with you Tuff, but they vary the rear of the fatty quite a bit. You answer only applies in theory with the axis of the bike not changing.

If the contact points were the same I'd agree with you Tuff, but they vary the rear of the fatty quite a bit. You answer only applies in theory with the axis of the bike not changing.

There is no theory involved here Charlie. Motorcycles and cornering is always based on effective lean angle. Lean angle is measured the same way no matter if it's a bicycle or a fat tired busa and the physics never change.

I understand what you are saying, but your question and answer indicates that the centerline axis of of both bikes are tangent to the arc being traveled. Enjoy.

The question is basic and easy. Which bike has more lean angle. Nothing misleading.

I think the point you are missing is how you determine lean angle for calculating purposes. Effective Lean Angle?

I just put up a post on Effective Lean Angle. Be the first to answer and you get a prize :)

1. Charlie: I hated Stats
2. Tuf: Just thinking: If you have two bikes, and one of them has a way longer stretch than the other...for BOTH bikes to make the SAME turn at the SAME speed, It would seem to me the longer bike would have a more difficult time negotiating the turn in the same footprint, therefore it would take more lean angle for the larger bike to get thru it...But I'm just guessing...seems you'd have to actually try it to find out...I'll ride the shorter one and you can ride the stretched one - just give me time to get off and come back to watch you try it :)

P.S. I answered first...Am hoping my prize is a Brake reservoir holder for Vortex clip-ons for a Gixxer 1K???

DiverMan, your answer is not exactly correct. Does this mean I get to keep the brake reservoir along with the new clip-ons :dunno:

DiverMan, your answer is not exactly correct. Does this mean I get to keep the brake reservoir along with the new clip-ons :dunno:

Uh...no.... :)

Don't you guys feel bad, I debated with Tuf for about an hour yesterday about this :)

The key is "effective"....

I was right! they are the same with the exception that it will take more effort to lean the bike over. Lean angle doesn't change

Where's my prize?

Now , Same two bikes on a drag strip which one keeps the front tire down? LOL

How much physical force difference to achieve effective lean angle due to gyroscopic effect of big motors rotating assembly weight? This has alot to do with our bikes resisting change - Not as flickable...not due to motors weight but the weight of the rotating assembly inside.

Now hold on here Tuff said be the 1st to to ANSWER & you get a prize. You never stated one had to answer correctly or other wise. So being that Diver did so he may be correct about that prize now what that prize may be is another thing.

Back